• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Looking for a specific career involving hydroponics/high-tech gardening

kratom luver

Greenlighter
Recently I have developed a fascination with growing various plants hydroponically and was wondering if there are any careers that involve this type of gardening?

I would really like to extend my interest into a career and would appreciate some ideas.

Pot grower, indoor plant grower for sale at market (can make decent money growing crops out of season), etc.

If all you want to do is grow plants hydroponically that's not really a career. That's a tiny part of a much larger thing.

I was looking for a career that involves things like growing plants hydroponically.

Maybe major in Botany and minor in business. That way you could do something super-fun like start your own hydroponic gardening shop.

Do you really need to get such a degree to open a hydroponic gardening store?

The reason I ask is because my father has developed a business that is worth several million pounds and he never completed a degree. I just find it very had to believe that a having a degree is at all necessary to open a successful business. Wouldn't most of the material you study be completely irrelevant? You could easily teach yourself the ins and outs of hydroponics within a couple of weeks of reading.

kratom luver said:
The reason I ask is because my father has developed a business that is worth several million pounds and he never completed a degree. I just find it very had to believe that a having a degree is at all necessary to open a successful business. Wouldn't most of the material you study be completely irrelevant? You could easily teach yourself the ins and outs of hydroponics within a couple of weeks of reading.

Theoretically, yes, but then again, couldn't the rest of us just read a bunch of textbooks and claim we know the ins and outs of our area of focus?

^^ A lot of people need structure and short term goals to get them through learning a topic. They need the tests and the threat of a bad grade to make them learn things.

In my experience these people do not start their own business. They go and work for someone else who continues to provide them structure.

Other people feel like killing themselves when put into these kinds of structured environments as they feel more like they're just being limited.

In my experience these people do start their own business. They provide structure to others.

If you're going to start a business from the ground up I think getting a college degree is one of the worst things you could be spending your time on. The only positive is that it allows you to show others you might actually know something or that you can follow through on something. This will help you get loans to get your business started. That's about all it's good for.

kratom luver said:
Do you really need to get such a degree to open a hydroponic gardening store?

Of course you don't. Its more about the intangible qualities that earning a difficult degrees imparts to you; they are well worth the extra time and effort.