• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

How has gaming changed these days? Don't enjoy it like you once did?

Yes!!!

I'm glad to see fellow earthbound fans on this board!

You know they came out with a earthbound 3 for the game boy advanced but never relased it in english, well there has been a fan translation project going on for sometime now and it's almost complete so soon we can continue playing the earthbound saga!!! :D :D :D

I see too much gmimmicks and not enough focus on game play...I dont care about having 47 rifle options with 376 different upgrades, while being able to select what music plays in the background.

I want good gameplay, a good story line, ect. not all this gimmicky bullshit.

GenericMind said:
^I think that may be it. The games I used to play when I was a teenager were great, but what really made them special was the group of friends willing to devote countless hours a day playing with me. It was being able to devote 8 hours a day to playing games with no other responsibilities and not thinking about all the other stuff I should be doing rather than playing games. No advance in gaming hardware, physics rendering, or special features is ever going to replace that.

yeah i hear you on that one.

long gone are the days when a mate would tap on my window late at night and then stay round till the wee hours challenging and rechallenging.

online multiplayer is good but as old farts, it's hard enough to organise time on your own let alone organise a group. :\

I would say 98% of games these days are total crap. I am very selective when it comes to what games I buy and have only bought a few over the last year or so.

The key is to watch previews and reviews for most games coming out so you can sift through all the garbage and not miss it when a good one comes out.

I'm really looking foreward to Starcraft 2

They are pirated. There isn't actually a legitimate source of DVDs or video games in this country. Seriously. The postal service is so dodgy you would never order anything of value either.

I don't mind paying for games.

I think someone hit the nail on the head though, when they said before - it's just us growing old. I was playing The Force Unleashed last night, and was actually enjoying it. But, it doesn't keep me glued to the screen, like say Donkey Kong Country might have.

I think I've just grown out of it. Guitar Hero is fun though.

^^ I really doubt that it's "growing old" that is causing it. Most games just aren't well designed these days. Budget is blown on graphics and not game play. Pick up some of those old games you used to play all night and I bet you'll enjoy them just as much as you used to.

My Mom recently sent me my old Nintendo along with like 300 games for it and I started playing it expecting to get bored and I ended up playing for like 4 hours straight on a single game (Rampage).

You've just got to develop an eye for shitty games that were produced with profit in mind. They're really easy to spot after a bit of practice.

You mention The Force Unleashed which I knew was going to be a piece of shit as soon as I found out there would be no multiplayer.

I knew The Force Unleashed would be relying heavily on it's retarded physics engine and effects that simply won't work in a multiplayer setting. They ignored the basics of the gameplay (combat) in favor of making it more like a movie you walk through. This is why there's no multiplayer. It would be insanely boring. Even if you don't like multiplayer this translate into the single player being really boring with a couple nice graphical moments or whatever thrown in.

^ I'm so sick of game publishers going on about their physics engines. How about they start talking about in game features.

And sandbox games. Now don't get me wrong. I love games like Oblivion, GTA etc. But game publishers are always going on about how 'free' a game is. Maybe games would be a bit more fun if they had some structure like games of old.

^
That's so true. Sure, GTA is "free" - you're "free" to drive, shoot, fly and hit anyone/anything you want. It's just rinse and repeat for every mission with a litttle bit of variety thrown in, like hanging onto a moving truck. It's an amazing effort, but when I first played GTAIII, I was motivated to go exploring. Now, it's like - 'been there, done that', and it lacks a structured storyline which makes it feel disjointed.

Amazing feat, fun for a while, but ultimately no depth.

I played Force Unleased for a while today. I mean like three hours. That's remarkable for me. I think Gears of War, GTA4, COD4 are the only others I've played for that long, and there's about 25-30 games there.

I think the games I enjoyed the most were the old SNES titles. Decent graphics but fun. I take graphics over gameplay anyday. I think it's hard to be innovative these days as pretty much everything has already been done. Finding something new and exciting and interesting is much more challenging than recycling something old for a new generation. Or maybe I'm getting older and the things that were fun to me as a 12 year old don't cut it as a 26 year old.

^^ Graphics over gameplay anyday? Have you heard of movies? Also, in my opinion a well designed game (good gameplay) doesn't need innovation.

Take Chess as an example. It's very easy to explain the basic rules and start playing but to master it takes so much more. Also, there is extremely high replay value in it as a result of this.

Most games now rely on things that don't have much replay value such as graphics. Once you've seen the awesome monster and the cool levels why see them again? You get nothing out of it. Core game design is what is most important and in today's game it's covered up by "story" and "graphics" which have no replay value. True "game design" is an extremely difficult job that very few people can accomplish.

People who want more story and good graphics in their game are looking for something other than a good game. They're looking for an interactive story and visual experience. These are not the same thing and have a different appeal. We got MUCH more of these kinds of "games" though because they're a lot cheaper to produce and easier to finish.

Basically, EA doesn't want to spend the time to make a "game" they want to make an "interactive visual experience" in 1/5 the time for the same amount of profit. See all EA has to do is make something that is better than 80% of other games on the market. That is a lot easier than you'd expect. The amount of companies making good "games" is so small that you might see a "game" once every few years. However, the demand from gamers for new titles is extremely high and they'll buy whatever the next best thing is. That next best thing is going to be EA's titles and they'll be produced and hitting the shelf 5x faster than the actual "games" to meet this demand.

Last edited:
Ooops I meant gameplay over graphics, brain doesn't work so well anymore.

Yeah I agree with everything you said Kul69. Consequently I don't buy many games these days, I have 3 games for my 360, and I don't buy more than a couple games a year, I vote with my dollar. I think the lack of replay value is used to push buyers to buy more games, the quicker they bore of what's in front of them the more likely they are to pick up the latest snooze fest.

Last edited:
games have changed because online play has been introduced and plays a major part in the overall gaming experience on current consoles.

I dont enjoy games as much as I used to. Just getting older I guess.

but get a few buddies, some beer, and I'm down to kick some as in some Fight Night or NBA 2k series.

toastedpanda said:
For the earthbound fans out there, a GBA sequel was made and a patch converting it to english should be released any day, I seriously can't wait.
http://mother3.fobby.net/

Yep yep!!!

I've been waiting for months and months, its about time!

i turned off games for quite a few years, except for the GTA titles... and now i'm loving them more than ever. age has something to do with it. perhaps i'm having and early midlife crisis.

whatever. i'm having fun.