• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Loperamide/96 mgs) Experienced: YES, I'm high.

Ah yes simethicone. I remember giving drops of that medication to my very young children whenever we suspected they were suffering from gas/bloating. Was never really convinced the stuff helped at all that much tbh.

I'm trying to research to see if it's dangerous in large doses. Initial impressions are that it may not be seriously life-threateningly dangerous but I haven't found anything conclusive yet.

It may cause additional consitpation, nausea or even some diarreha though I doubt any diarreha caused by the simethicone could overcome the constipation from the loperamide.

My concern is the amount of simethicone vs loperamide. I think most combo pills have 2mg loperamide and 125mg simethicone. Therefore a 100mg dose of loperamide from these pills would also be 6.25 GRAMS of simethicone. That's awfully high...

Just get the Immodium with nothing else in it. And I also recommend both a stool softener and a laxative (simethicone is a laxative, right?). Of course, as separate products. Then you can shit relatively normally, which is really important. Actually this is true any time you have bad constipation from an opiate habit.

I'll repeat though since it's important... loperamide is bad for you in a way other opiates are not. In high doses needed to stave off withdrawals or get high from it, it can cause prolonged QT interval which can lead to cardiac arrest. Over time it causes damage to the heart. Several people in this thread (it has been around for years) have reported themselves almost dying, or loved ones almost dying or even actually dying, from loperamide abuse. Most opiates don't cause actual organ damage at all, their danger lies in the addiction and the risk of overdose. Loperamide is different though, it causes damage simply from using it. It should be a withdrawal aid only, for the shortest time possible. It also causes physical dependence so be careful of that... the withdrawal lasts a lot longer than heroin withdrawal because the half-life is so long. But you should be able to use it as needed through acute withdrawal and then stop with no issues.

Just get the Immodium with nothing else in it. And I also recommend both a stool softener and a laxative (simethicone is a laxative, right?). Of course, as separate products. Then you can shit relatively normally, which is really important. Actually this is true any time you have bad constipation from an opiate habit.
Simethicone is some type of "anti-foaming" agent that is suppose to help relieve gas or bloating.

I don't believe it is considered to be a laxative but it can cause a laxative effect as a side effect in some people but it can also cause constipation for some people too.

I agree it's best just to find loperamide only containing products. The stuff is risky enough at these doses, no need to be add extra risk from additional active ingredients.

Xorkoth said:
I'll repeat though since it's important... loperamide is bad for you in a way other opiates are not. In high doses needed to stave off withdrawals or get high from it, it can cause prolonged QT interval which can lead to cardiac arrest. Over time it causes damage to the heart. Several people in this thread (it has been around for years) have reported themselves almost dying, or loved ones almost dying or even actually dying, from loperamide abuse. Most opiates don't cause actual organ damage at all, their danger lies in the addiction and the risk of overdose. Loperamide is different though, it causes damage simply from using it. It should be a withdrawal aid only, for the shortest time possible. It also causes physical dependence so be careful of that... the withdrawal lasts a lot longer than heroin withdrawal because the half-life is so long. But you should be able to use it as needed through acute withdrawal and then stop with no issues.

I think it's important the risks be repeated often :)

Otherwise somebody could stumble on a thread like this and then miss the risk discussion because they only skimmed a few posts.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I finally registered to bluelight but have been reading posts on here for years during my 10 year opiate addiction. And all of the news today I must say it?s sad that kids are trying to get high off of this medicine. It has been a godsend for me in the past to get through days until I could pick up more dope. Now I am ready to finally quit shooting for good. I?ve tried rehabs, methadone and jail and nothing has worked. Because right when I get out I use. I am currently using a mixture of lope and kratom at moderate doses to keep my withdrawals at a minimum. To all of those trying to kick the habit and thinking they are going to go through hell doing so there is hope. Doing this combined with the 12 step program has at least let me to a have a few days clean and I plan on just looking forward for more. Good luck to all. Please kids don?t abuse this drugs to get high and ruin the chances for any addict trying to recover and not suffer thru the burning pit of hell in WD without lope.

wow I use Imodium now and again I I've been having these chest pains now I'm wondering if I've done any dsmsge..

Yessuh, right away suh!

But on the real, some of the most useful threads on substances start as trip reports. It's a cool thing about this forum, that you can post trip reports AND discuss them. Don't like it, I imagine you know where the door is.

The issue isn't if you can get high or not..

It binds to the receptors in the gut so I have no difficulty in believing it can relieve withdrawal symptoms as it's an opiate after all.

I'm amazed at the fact a thread like this can exist on a harm reduction website when it's well-known that loperamide in the crazy high dosages I've seen on this thread is cardiotoxic and can lead to long QT syndrome, which can have death as a result.
It's not anything anyone should take regularly to maintain or get high!!!!

Crazy to think some of you take almost 100mg a day.
This is something easily found online with a quick search and no one is minimally worried about their heart?

The issue isn't if you can get high or not..

It binds to the receptors in the gut so I have no difficulty in believing it can relieve withdrawal symptoms as it's an opiate after all.

I'm amazed at the fact a thread like this can exist on a harm reduction website when it's well-known that loperamide in the crazy high dosages I've seen on this thread is cardiotoxic and can lead to long QT syndrome, which can have death as a result.
It's not anything anyone should take regularly to maintain or get high!!!!

Crazy to think some of you take almost 100mg a day.
This is something easily found online with a quick search and no one is minimally worried about their heart?

In our defence, we simply try to help those who choose to use a substance like loperamide. We are here to deal with it and steer people in the right direction. Addiction is a bitch isn't it.

Yeah anyone actually reading this thread through will see all sorts of warnings, in fact various posters have chimed in and given their stories about their near-death experiences or even the deaths of loved ones. People are going to try stuff so we use that opportunity to provide real information, rather than just close/remove threads.

That said, I think I will add a big bold warning in the original post, because some people won't read the thread, just the post.

EDIT: I edited the original post. Thanks for replying, it never occurred to me to go back and add a warning to the original post for people who don't read the replies.

There is a theme that I am noticing that follows through from those who read stuff like this thread, and continues on to people like those who are making laws in our government. A lack of true understanding around what they are complaining about.... and complaining loudly.

I have read the stories here, and elsewhere on the internet. High dose Loperamide causes heart problems. That is absolutely true. The doses involved with those who got hospitalized or dead is in the 300 mg plus range. Thats every time. This is not some average amount of an opiate that your Dr would prescribe if it was oxycodone or fentanyl. Megadosing of any opiate will cause an overdose and lead to death. The bottle I get every month of oxy has nearly 3 grams in it. The biggest bottle of Loperamide I can get ANYWHERE has 192 mg in it. I would have to buy every package of lope at my pharmacy to equal the little bottle of oxy that I am prescribed. And by the way..... I can get extra strength Tylenol in a jug of 1000 pills- thats enough to kill me at least 20 times. And they stock lots of that stuff.

Which bottle would kill me or anybody else first?

Information is important. BlueLight is an awesome place for that. But we are not talking about some teenager taking three of his grandmothers gabapentin and wondering how long it will take to catch a buzz. This is someone chugging 200 pills at once.

If you havent done it yourself, perhaps it would best to just read on and keep your opinions to a minimum. 100 mg of Loperamide has never sent anyone to the emergency room. Not without some help from a LOT of other drugs.

Last edited:
Yeah anyone actually reading this thread through will see all sorts of warnings, in fact various posters have chimed in and given their stories about their near-death experiences or even the deaths of loved ones. People are going to try stuff so we use that opportunity to provide real information, rather than just close/remove threads.

That said, I think I will add a big bold warning in the original post, because some people won't read the thread, just the post.

EDIT: I edited the original post. Thanks for replying, it never occurred to me to go back and add a warning to the original post for people who don't read the replies.

Thank you Sir for editing that post. I am guilty of it myself. Reading pages and pages of a thread gets boring, so I have done that move where I read the first page and the last two pages and feel like I understand the whole thread. I am going to try and not do that anymore :)

There is a theme that I am noticing that follows through from those who read stuff like this thread, and continues on to people like those who are making laws in our government. A lack of true understanding around what they are complaining about.... and complaining loudly.

I have read the stories here, and elsewhere on the internet. High dose Loperamide causes heart problems. That is absolutely true. The doses involved with those who got hospitalized or dead is in the 300 mg plus range. Thats every time. This is not some average amount of an opiate that your Dr would prescribe if it was oxycodone or fentanyl. Megadosing of any opiate will cause an overdose and lead to death. The bottle I get every month of oxy has nearly 3 grams in it. The biggest bottle of Loperamide I can get ANYWHERE has 192 mg in it. I would have to buy every package of lope at my pharmacy to equal the little bottle of oxy that I am prescribed. And by the way..... I can get extra strength Tylenol in a jug of 1000 pills- thats enough to kill me at least 20 times. And they stock lots of that stuff.

Which bottle would kill me or anybody else first?

Information is important. BlueLight is an awesome place for that. But we are not talking about some teenager taking three of his grandmothers gabapentin and wondering how long it will take to catch a buzz. This is someone chugging 200 pills at once.

If you havent done it yourself, perhaps it would best to just read on and keep your opinions to a minimum. 100 mg of Loperamide has never sent anyone to the emergency room. Not without some help from a LOT of other drugs.

Over time, however, it causes chronic and progressive heart damage through toxicity, which is different from any other opiate (at least that I'm aware of, certainly the "standard" opiates of abuse). Maybe a single use won't, but if you're taking 100mg every day for years (or for some, significantly less time than that), it's going to catch up to you. I feel it's very important to state that here. It is not necessary to take 300mg+ to be causing yourself damage.

Didnt read the full thread but is there any other tryout which confirms what the thread starter wrote?! Cant believe it anyway...

Loperamide does produce a high. However it's a shitty high and it's toxic to your heart. The only time I ever recommend people use it is if they're trying to cold turkey opiates, it removes a lot of the withdrawal, but loperamide is addictive also so it's only recommended to use it for a few days to bypass the worst of the withdrawals.

But yeah loperamide is an opiate and was once prescribed for pain.

One big problem with long term Loperamide use is that it has a really long half life and a successful tapering plan could take years. There is very little research available on this subject since there is not a Loperamide epidemic and there simply are not a lot of people who have done it.
One could apply the process of tapering something like oxycodone, and multiply the time frames by 4 or 8 to get something close to a tolerable tapering plan. It still sucks though. My tapering experience has been that my legs ache and my energy levels are for shit the whole time. You just have to get used to the idea that youre paying back any positive experience with a lot of negative.
And yeah, the effects are similar to opiates except you feel really dirty inside.

Yeah the body feeling is not good. There is a heaviness to the limbs that reminds me of morphine but it is not a euphoric feeling... it makes it feel like the inside of my body is all dried out and the only goodness of the feeling is that I would stop feeling the majority of my poppy tea withdrawals. No mental euphoria, more of an apathy. Which, again, when withdrawing feels like a high all its own. I would never choose to take loperamide to try to get high, it's just not a good high, though it is certainly active at a sufficient dose.