• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Drugs for Musicians

white buddha

Ex-Bluelighter
Hey peoples.
I play percussion, and I wanted to know if there are any drugs in particular that some of you have found to be stimulating to the musical part of your brain. I know that my friend (guitarest) has gotten alot of creative and out of this world ideas for his songs with acid and ketamine.
We usually play the songs sober, and most of the music I have made was when I was completely sober.. and it sounds great, but I just wondered if any of you would suggest any certain drugs to try for some interesting results in the art of music making. I think my favorite drug when it comes to listening to music, is probably MDMA.
I haven't done any drugs in about 11 months, even ciggarettes or alcohol.. because I never got addicted to anything and I have plenty of fun without them. Although I feel I should do some more experimenting and have some more fun with new drugs on occasion. Anyway, please share your thoughts on this if you are a musician. Thanks.

I've been playing guitar forever and definitely get more into it after rolling. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm actually playing better, but I definitely play longer and enjoy it more.

this might belong in the lounge or drugs for beginners, as it has no relevance to this forum.

creativity, you should try some lsd...for the right mind, it will take your creative to new heights, but not for everyone...

i've had some cool things happen with acid , yeah, but it all depends man..... you could take some opiates and find that the relaxed feeeling might open something up for you.........
what you will find though , is that you dont really need drugs to be creative man :) yeah it can help .... but once you get the vibe going , you dont need it anymore after you've found that special place within your soul ...... :)

One of my friends is a really good DJ and i think he benefits from ketamine musicly. Can also play the chello extremely well.

I agree with SC on this one. Some good smack always does the trick for me. Fuck I went as far as quit getting drunk when I'm spinning and just doing a little dope.

Meth is gonna give you all the energy you need to play percussion. You'll see how fast you can be...

hmm, i play guitar.
marijuana - enhances audio (ever try a phaser on weed?) makes you creative at the time, but youll either forget it sober or you realise it sux.
now speed - very good, increases creativity, gives you stamina to not give up when soomthins too hard, gives you more accuracy fretting, and eliminates stage fright.

I've played bass guitar for awhile now. I've played in a band or two and I'm going to be playing my first live gig this saturday (just a sidenote). Anyways, here's my take on drugs and musical creativity
Pot - Makes the music sound better but doesn't seem to unlock any hidden doors of creativity. The negatives to pot that I've noticed are a lack of motivation (yes, we all know Amotivational Syndrome is most likely bullshit, but if you've known a real pothead you've probably known a lazy person) and a weird thing that happens when I'm tuning by ear. It takes me forever sometimes as I try to get my tuning "too perfect". It's as if I can hear every little nuance of the sound and the small difference that always exists between the same notes on different strings is always too big for me. But, hey, maybe I'm just fucked up in the head.
Opiates - They relax me, make me feel "right", and make me want to just pick up my bass and play. But then again, doing most anything feels right to me on opiates. No new creativity.
Meth - Rancid bass solo time! (Listen to the end of "Maxwell Murder") This can help my creativity as the boost of speed and accuracy is helpful in widening the options of what you can play. When I play on speed I'll make up things to play that I normally wouldn't think of as I normally think of them as beyond my ability (why make up something you can't play?). It's not a big boost, but it can help sometimes
And that's all I'm typing for now, my fingers hurt. Nice new topic though...

Im a guitarist and I found pot is great. You seem to get lost in your own world. But then you have that problem of not remembering it when your sober and it not sounding as good.
ACID. fuck yeah!!!!!! This is the shit for guitar!!!! Had a great time on it and creativity is amazing on it.

Amphetamines, you'll be playing for days, and the extra (perceived) speed and precision would be good for a percussionist! You even feel sooo enthusiastic about music just having late night meth fuelled music discussions. But be careful if you're playing in public, it may sound a whole lot better to you than it does to everyone else!

Originally posted by Ayrios:
I've been playing guitar forever and definitely get more into it after rolling. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm actually playing better, but I definitely play longer and enjoy it more.
Yeh same! the day after I feel shocking, often sick, yet I get lost while playing the guitar on a comedown. I will improvise for hours, and enjoy it. But I doubt I sound any better either.

Apart from all that has been said so far, Try some 2C-I, I have found this compound to be very muscial in its nature, allowing for deeper harmonic and melodic enhancement.If you are writing songs or just jamming with a band, this will put you in a very smooth, inside-the-note kind of feel. I would be curious as to what effect 2c-i would have on percussion and drums.
Other than that, for the instruments you play, I'd say opiates and mdma are the best bets for keeping solid time while exploring new tangents...

5-meo-dipt!
oke its a bit tricky in dosage and such but presuming you could take the correct dose. its a wonder for the ears.
at first the audio hallucinations, like sounds going up or down a notch in tone, are a bit overwhelming but after the first suprise i was able to get into music making a lot more. normal i more of a listener but on 5-meo-dipt my hands just kept hitting that bongo while my companion played guitar and sang.
amazing how good this 2 ears on my head could work together with these 2 hands stickin outta my arms. this kinda sums it up. strange nobody else came up with this. psychedelics and music go great together.

Usually, I only find marijuana useful for musical reasons. Playing both bass guitar and drums, I find that I can "lock in" better with the feeling of the song, and alter my playing style to compensate for the other people in the band.
Unfortunately, we can't do this any mroe in my band, because OTHER people can't handle their drugs while playing. And nothing irritates me more. So, we just save it for writing sessions and jam days.