• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin vs. Nicotine

quale

Bluelighter
So all the time I see anti-drug war people quote the fact that nicotine is as addictive as heroin. I have even seen plenty of citations by prominent researchers in addiction making this claim.
My quesiton is are they all fucking high?!?!
Maybe its just me and the people I know but everyone who does H seems to have cravings to do more even if they don't really like it. While people seem to be able to smoke cigarretes occasionally without any cravings whatsoever.
Also as far as I can tell the reason nicotine is judged as addictive as heroin is that they have similar numbers for succesfull quiting. This seems to completly ignore the fact that cigarettes are a socially accepted drug that you can bum off a stranger in the street while even meth fiends (stupidly) won't touch heroin. So the heroin user is countinuing to use against considerable social and legal pressure. This has to count for something.
Do other people have similar experience with heroin vs. nicotine?

nicotine is more phsyiclay addicitve
heroin is more psychologicaly addictive...
but in the real world this is pretty worthless

NICOTINE is more physically addictive than HEROIN????????HUH.....it is more MENTALLY addictive than H but not as PHYSICALLY, no way in hell...
comparing NICOTINE withdrawal to HEROiN withdrawal is simply not even worth comparing...the reason most cannot quit NICOTINE is like said above, it is cheap and on every street corner and is of course LEGAL....

Originally posted by purkinje:
nicotine is more phsyiclay addicitve
heroin is more psychologicaly addictive...
but in the real world this is pretty worthless

wtf are you smoking?
Yes, it seems the way this has come about is by comparing statistics with those who quit and stay 'clean'. Another thought is you are surrounded w/ cigarettes\tobacco nonstop all day everyday. You can buy a pack of cigarettes anywhere and there's always people smoking so I would think that would be a hard addiction to quit w/ all the negative reinforcements surrounding you.

I know for a fact that nicotine is definately not addictive. A friend of a friend who works for an un-named tobacco company gave me the inside scoop, for real. The media just pretends tobacco is addictive because all the news reporters get perks from the doctors who make up stuff like lung cancer, it's all a conspiracy, I swear to god! I mean when I run out of cigarttes i don't necessarily need tobacco i could smoke a clove of a menthal and be fine, i just smoke because of i like the feeling of smoke going into my lungs. There is a little know theory that all addictions are 100% placeblo effect you can read that on some web site that I found doing a net searct for "remeron".
And Herion is only addictive if you shoot it in you arms, legs, or neck. I shoot 8-9 times a week in my finger and toes and the only problem that I have is a staff infection about once or twice a year, nothing you can't deal with; but I supose that I counter ack my smack with a few cigaretts diped in PCP about once of twice a month.
I am 43 years old and I have been doing drugs since I was 17. I just got a computer and I am suprised at how little you kid know about drugs.
whell that took a long time to type(2 hours) but I hope that it shed light onto your question.
Your welcome.

There is a slight connection between cigarretes and opiates in that acetaldehyde, which is found in cigarettes, can react with dopamine to form TIQ, which is an opiate agonist.

clove cigarettes have nicotine in them too you know. Abra was talking about HEROINandCANDY not the person directly above him, just to save feelings. :)

ciggs are addictive as hell when i dont get my nic. i turn into a violent asshole and start twitching...1 time i was fenning for nicotine so bad i sucked on the burnt cigg buts in the ash tray...i hardly know any1 that smoke occasionaly but i know ppl that occasionaly use oxycontin(pretty much the same thing as herion) but i believe ciggs are alot more compulsive than herion./

In my opinion nicotine is far more addictive then herion. As is the case with caffine...

I've tried H it felt alright but have no craveings. No desire to do it again.
Nicotine and ciggs do fuck all and feel nasty but I'm addicted to them
Work the rest out for your self.

Heroin and nicotine are completely different.
I can go a lot longer without heroin than I could a cigarette. However, when I quit cigarettes I don't get physically ill and want to die for a week.
It's not even worth comparing their addictions. It serves no real purpose other than for people to come up with ridiculous anti-smoking propaganda.
My response to the propaganda is "heroin isn't as addictive as you believe."

anyone who thinks cigs are harder to kick than junk
have obviously never been addicted to the shit

Just a thought, why do so many people who say that heroin isn't THAT addictive also have (or have had) very long-lasting opiate habits? In reality, it probably isn't as addictive as a lot of people think, but how many junkies have thought this and even still do? Is it denial or is there really such a thing as "non-pathological recreational abuse of heroin"?

Originally posted by cheeky_half:
anyone who thinks cigs are harder to kick than junk
have obviously never been addicted to the shit

If you're stupid enough to use heroin regualy enough to go through withdrawal and become addicted you are plain stupid.
No drug is impossible for you to controll your self on.
No drug will make you do it again and agian unless you are weak enough to have to hit that dope spot everyday.
If you manage your habit there is no reason to ever go through withdrawal or physical addiction to heroin. You know it will happen so why not just controll your self.
Ciggs on the other hand, I was 13 and stupid and have had a habit for years smoking everyday. I'm sure if I really tried I could give up but the difference is you should be able to not have to get to that point on heroin.

Johny, everything you said is entirely ignorant.
But I guess we shouldn't expect much from someone that can't even spell "control" correctly.
Opiates alter brain chemistry. The brain can send impulses that override or at the very least rival conscious desires. It's a well established and proven fact. Opiates effect the decision making processes of the brain. That's also a well established a proven fact, which ties into what I said before. And the entire psychological experience can be enough to change previous concerns about addiction and health. And again, that's a well established and proven fact.
It really has nothing to do with being weak.
And it's particularly sad someone who knowingly became addicted to a substance that kills 400,000 Americans every year is not only going to call other addicts "weak", but is going to sit here and say they merely haven't tried to quit and that's why they continue using.
Oh.. and then partake in another substance that evidence keeps suggesting causes long-term damage to the brain.
Get real.