• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Need Career Advice

babaloo

Bluelighter
So, I just recently started my first semester of college. I made a huge mistake by jumping into a Bachelor's degree program without REALLY thinking beforehand if it was what I wanted to do. I am currently enrolled in the Computer Network and Systems Administration program at Michigan Technological University. I have decided that this is in fact not something I would like to do with my life, and am planning to transfer at semester to another school. The first step in this process for me is to figure out what I want to do. In all honesty, I have no idea at all what I want to do. My interests are just hanging out with friends, talking, watching baseball, and learning about psychoactives and their effects--most specifically opioid painkillers. Like most of you I have interest in self-medication and drug law. I can provide other information if you like I suppose, I guess I'm just looking for suggestions or ideas of careers to pursue.

maybe you should try to get into something having to do with chemistry (bio-chem, chemical engineering, etc) i dunno you still have time to shop around get your basics out of the way and keep your GPA up

stamnomite said:
maybe you should try to get into something having to do with chemistry (bio-chem, chemical engineering, etc) i dunno you still have time to shop around get your basics out of the way and keep your GPA up

Yes, if you enjoy science and math this might be a good option.

If you pick a social sciences major, don't stress about it too much and focus on something that you enjoy. Trust me, social sciences majors are more or less interchangeable...

You could always take general ed. classes at first. Most degrees require certain classes from History, Humanities, etc. They may not all be the same, but you could take some to get your GPA up and to maybe figure out something else that you would like to do.

I don't know if it's a state rule, but in Florida you have up to (I think?) 60 credit hours to decide. This is basically your typical science, history, english, math classes. You have time to decide basically while learning.

Something to ask before you take the jump - if that college isn't nationally accredited, your credits might not be transferable.

^^ Im in Florida, and I have been a chemistry major since I started College... It doesnt matter what major you have, just take the basic clases, and thatway you will see what college has to offer and pick something you like. You dont have to be nailed down to one thing, just see how it goes. Also, please be careful with pain killers. This is off topic, but there is only one way this can end, and it is in addiction. Please rethink the painkillers...

Please don't pick bio or chem because you like drugs. Everyone likes drugs, but not everyone should be a doctor, pharmacist or a chemist.

Think about what your natural talents are, and what you want out of your career. Which jobs meet your criteria? This is how you pick.

Yay for Florida peoples. And if it makes you feel any better, I thought about changing my major a zillion times, only changed it once, but I'm still going to get my master's in something entirely different from my undergrad.

^ Excellent advice, if you pick Biochem cause you like drugs, you will get into these classes and realize they have nothing to do with drugs. Chemstry is very difficult and requires a lot of discipline.

I enjoy diagnosing and solving problems. I DO enjoy learning about the human body. I enjoy helping people. I'm seriously thinking something in the medical field. Paramedic, physician, nurse, etc. Problem is I want to get into whatever field I get into ASAP.

just be an electricain and join the union and thn go to the libray once in a while for a read