• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Complain about professors!

Not to be a dick, but I really don't have a problem with teachers/assistants ridiculing students...

As long as the ridicule be Constructive ;)

She laughed at me when I brought her my "blue slip" that explains I need somewhere quiet, and extra time for a test. Ugh I'm re taking the class but i'm not getting her as a teacher.

To echo satiricon, you can likely complain to the department for students with disabilities or something... This likely violates your university's civil rights regulations and wider civil rights legislation. . .

I'd take this route rather than contacting the prof if you want to be a bit vindictive. ;) That TA hasn't really garnered any of my potential sympathy. ;)

ebola

Not to be a dick, but I really don't have a problem with teachers/assistants ridiculing students...

As long as the ridicule be Constructive ;)

Um well ridiculing students is unfair, unethical, unprofessional, and counterproductive to their learning.

So I have a problem with it...

The universal 'don't be a prick rule' still applies when you're standing in front of 10-30 people? ;)

ebola

Um well ridiculing students is unfair, unethical, unprofessional, and counterproductive to their learning.

So I have a problem with it...

Take, for example, a situation like this.

There's about 10 or so students in a classroom. The professor is handing back graded essays. Two or three students don't get their papers back. They raise their hands, and say "Where are our papers?"

"Well"...says the prof (in front of the whole class)..."I'm afraid I couldn't find any worthwhile use for them other than to wipe my dog's ass."

This is the kind of thing I would do if I were a professor.

Sounds harsh, I know, but I believe FAR to many kids are in college nowadays.

Be political in how you resolve the issue, D's.

Stories about professors... hmmm...

I think I lucked out, or missed out, because I can't think of anything crazy that happened inside a classroom. The closest would have been a professor who left to grab a soda during a 5 minute break, and was discovered 30 minutes later by a worried TA sitting on the library steps chatting with two quite attractive tourists, holding an unopened bottle of soda.

TA: "Uh, Professor, you have that class."

Tourist: "Oh my, you're a professor, you didn't tell us that."

Professor (barely acknowledging TA): "Why yes, in fact I am..."

Five minutes later, the professor leaves his contact information, and, abandoning his now forgotten soda, begins walking back with the TA. He remarks to the TA, without any hint of irony, "It's striking how much I enjoy social situations. That's really why I am so devoted to my students. It's not altruistic at all; it's entirely self-interested. You know, I think the brunette liked you."

TA (keeping a carefully neutral face): "Yes, I see what you mean."

Professor: "About the brunette?"

TA: "Uh, right, yes."

Professor: "I thought so. I have an eye for these things. Situational awareness. That's why I actually gave them your email address, not mine. You thought I'd just give my information to any stranger eh? Anyway, you're welcome. So, I think you should give a crack at the rest of this lecture. You know the material I'm sure. I really am quite parched. In fact I'm going to get some soda. Let me know how it goes."

TA: "Well there's only about ten minutes of classtime left and--"

Professor: "I mean with the brunette. Talk to you later."

Take, for example, a situation like this.

There's about 10 or so students in a classroom. The professor is handing back graded essays. Two or three students don't get their papers back. They raise their hands, and say "Where are our papers?"

"Well"...says the prof (in front of the whole class)..."I'm afraid I couldn't find any worthwhile use for them other than to wipe my dog's ass."

This is the kind of thing I would do if I were a professor.

Sounds harsh, I know, but I believe FAR to many kids are in college nowadays.

Pfft, giving students a bad mark is enough to let them know their essay sucked. You don't have to be a complete cunt about it as well. Every professor was an undergrad who wrote a few shit essays whilst hung over at some time in their life.

In fact, being nice to students is important if you want them to engage with the ideas you're presenting. If you insult them they will just resent you and ignore the course.

My english professor last spring was this super liberal, arrogant ass hole who thought his views were the only way to go! We had a lot of open discussions in class and if you didn't agree with his opinions he would be a major dick! A girl in my class had some personal issues (her boyfriend had really bad road rage and ended up shooting somoene and he told the whole class her business while she was out which was pretty rude (no one knew about it until he opened his big mouth) Ahh I could go on forever about this guy he was crazy!!

^I've never understood why professors (or people in general, for that matter) are often so adamant about people agreeing with their OPINIONS. What does the prof expect? A group of students to petition the government or something? If I were a prof, I could see myself belittling a student's religious or political beliefs, sure. But actually caring? Or using it against them in grading?

The odd thing is, I often have trouble getting students to disagree with me. For example, whenever I teach Marx, I set aside some time to have a discussion of what's wrong with his picture. Almost invariably, the students are pretty quiet, and then I'll have to tear into him, which will involve some 'odd' criticisms (criticism from the left, academic criticism rooted in civil society, a critique of disciplinary society, etc.). It's almost as if they wish me to fill them as vessels.

ebola

^^
I agree. I think the vast majority of students spend a lot of time trying to figure out what we want them to say because they think that if they can reproduce that, they will get good grades. Partially this comes from the way that learning is assessed at high school, with a focus on reproducing facts in standardised tests.

The odd thing is, I often have trouble getting students to disagree with me. For example, whenever I teach Marx, I set aside some time to have a discussion of what's wrong with his picture. Almost invariably, the students are pretty quiet, and then I'll have to tear into him, which will involve some 'odd' criticisms (criticism from the left, academic criticism rooted in civil society, a critique of disciplinary society, etc.). It's almost as if they wish me to fill them as vessels.

ebola

Or they're trying to figure out what "Alien Nation" Marx was referring to, and why he never talks about the aliens themselves. ;)

From what I recall of teaching, at times the best thing to spark a discussion if I were facing a silent room would be to introduce a single, easily understood, claim of the author, and then explain it anyway, and then point to a student and ask him to come up with criticism of it. And then point to another and ask for a defense, addressing the criticism of the first student. And so on. Oddly enough students would usually get attached to whatever position they were assigned to criticize or defend, which helped.

If it were a small enough class or section, I would break them into teams, one side for, one side against, and simply prod them into arguing with each other.

Once there's some initial movement, they seem to lose reluctance to speak and engage. Natural competitiveness and sociability take over as they react to each other. And along the way, I can shape the discussion, add in additional arguments by the author, and so forth. If it goes well, they're still arguing when they leave.

IMHO, frequently if a group of students are unwilling to give their own opinions, 1) they're hung over, 2) they haven't done enough of the reading, haven't thought much outside of class, and are still trying to digest what they just learned in class, or 3) they are simply in awe of the teacher's brilliance, charm, and physical beauty.