• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

any aspiring med school undergrads?

LOL Good point. My lab partner last semester had a 3.9 GPA (only got 1 B her entire undrad time) and she was rejected to all dental schools except for 1 - the same DO school I want to go to. I don't know what her DAT (that's the dental exam I think?) scores were, but even the school who accepted her made her redo it and get 1 point higher. She was a pretty smart cookie, so I imagine they couldn't have been that bad, but dental seems to be the new wave of students coming in.

Um, maybe it's a bit late for me to ask this, but... I graduated with a 3.56 from Cal Poly SLO in Biochemistry. I had no idea I'd wanna go to medical school, so my grades were just... good enough. If I do well on my MCATs, am I totally screwed?

Thanks!

The Monkey Mantra said:
Um, maybe it's a bit late for me to ask this, but... I graduated with a 3.56 from Cal Poly SLO in Biochemistry. I had no idea I'd wanna go to medical school, so my grades were just... good enough. If I do well on my MCATs, am I totally screwed?

Thanks!

Goodness no. If you score 10s across the board on the MCAT you'll be competitive enough for many MD schools (unfortunately california schools are hyper competitive, so you might have to leave the state). 30 seems to be the magic number for the MCAT.

Keep in mind that a good GPA and MCAT aren't really enough, you need to have some experience in a medical setting (shadowing/volunteering/medical assisting/etc).

^ All true.

Keep in mind some schools seem to select for research or volunteer experience, specifically. Others select for professional clinical experience. Every school has a different character all its own, and specializes in training certain kinds of doctors more than others.