• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

any aspiring med school undergrads?

Lysis

Bluelighter
I'm just curious since MCATs have been made easier and more frequent. I am curious as to how people are studying for them, what tools they are using and how often they are studying. I think I want to attempt it in january and I will start studying in October for it.

I'm nervous as hell, so if there is anyone who has taken it recently since the format has changed I'd really like to hear it. I think it would help others who are planning to take it.

Also, anyone recently get accepted into a school? scores and gpa?

I'm really being hopeful here and I'm nervous, so any insight would rock!

Thanks!

i'd like to know in what sense the MCAT's have gotten easier?

the only reason i ask is that i have a girlfriend taking them in december, and i've heard no mention of that from her.

I spoke to a few people in my lab last semester and they told me it was easier. They offer it more times during the year as well, so if you take it in august you don't need to wait until april to retake it.

Also, I heard you can take parts of it now? I'm not sure if that is true. I plan to take it in January. I've also read some of the med forums and people are only studying for a month or two. It used to be you had to study for at least 3-4 months prior to the test and most places suggested 6 months.

Edit: I forgot to add - it's shorter! It used to be an 8am-5pm test, but I believe it's only 5(?) hours now.

Last edited:
I'm applying right now. First interview in 8 days. Yikes!

Lysis said:
I'm just curious since MCATs have been made easier and more frequent.

Not easier, just shorter. Which helps A TON, but otherwise it is just as difficult.

I'm nervous as hell, so if there is anyone who has taken it recently since the format has changed I'd really like to hear it. I think it would help others who are planning to take it.

Here's an email I sent a friend of mine who is getting geared up for the MCAT.

--------------

Success with the MCAT is based on lots of different factors.
Basically to do well, you need to know how to effectively, carefully
and critically read passages (both science and verbal), know one hell
of a lot of science, how to apply that knowledge and do it for about 4
hours straight. Oh and you've gotta write an essay.

Yikes.

Just thinking about it gets me all riled up and glad not to ever have
to take that beast again.

Before you can even consider studying you've got to know WHAT to
study. Having a coherent plan is key to this endeavor. Fortunately
the MCAT people prepare a list of every topic that could possibly come
up on your exam. Download it here:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm (at the bottom
where it says 'test sections'). To be honest, only about a third of
this material will appear on any given exam, but in order to guarantee
a good score you need to know it all.

Go through this list and take an inventory of what you know, how well
you know it and what you don't know. This will give you a better idea
of what you have ahead of yourself. You should have a pretty good
idea of how you study and how long it will take you through the
material.

I budgeted myself about 4 months time of pretty hardcore studying to
prepare myself. During this time I had only a part-time job and no
other commitments (I did take a microbio class during this time, but
that is at least partially related to mcat, so I don't count it). I
pretty much considered the MCAT my full-time job and probably spent
about 30-40 hours/week on it.

I think the real key to success on this exam is taking many practice
tests. Unfortunately you can't really re-take any of the exams, so
you've got a limited number of tests available to you (AAMC have put
out several, and there are several by other test companies). I don't
recommend taking these until you've covered about 70% of the possible
material. It doesn't make sense to try taking an exam until you at
least have some sort of basis for taking the exam.

When I felt that I had learned enough material, I started taking
practice tests. I took one every week for about 2 months. For the
last 2 weeks I took one every 2-3 days (by this time you really
shouldn't be studying material, just be practicing passages). After
each practice test I would grade it and look for problem areas (both
subject areas and problem 'types') and create a new list of study
areas.

Between practice tests I would continue my studying by whittling down
my study lists until I started taking tests more frequently. This
allowed me to gauge how ready I was as the test came up. My two
mottos for studying:

1. It is just a test.
2. I can always void or retake.

Keep those in mind.

Let's talk about individual sections.

Physics and G Chem: You need to know every equation. Even when your
understanding of a topic isn't so great, by having your equations
memorized you can often work out a solution by recognizing key words.
Easy points are available by learning how to do circuit diagrams and
knowing your kinematics inside out. Also, knowing how to manipulate
units is incredibly helpful. Look for crossover between the chemistry
and physics (eg. EMF can be calculated using the Nertz equation and
then used in circuitry problems)

Verbal – good luck. I used the examcrackers method: read the whole
thing in one go. keep in mind overall topic and tone. don't take
notes. answer the questions confidently and assertively. imagine
you're and editor and the writer is trying to prove something to you.
answer and move on. I practiced this section SO SO SO much and
managed to move my scoring between 8-10 to 9-11. Ugh.

Bio: Pretty daunting, but completely doable. I had almost no bio
experience when I went into this and came out scoring higher in BS
than in any other section. Again, look for the crossovers between bio
sections. Memorize everything, especiall all the endocrine stuff and
physio stuff. For organic chemistry you don't need to know
*everything* but you need to have a good idea of how reactions work
and predict how stuff happens.

To succeed you need to memorize all of this insane information and
then UTILIZE it in an appropriate way. Memorization is not enough.
Being smart is not enough, you need to do both.

---------------------------

Also, anyone recently get accepted into a school? scores and gpa?

FWIW 35S, 3.8

Thank you Plurred.

My weak point will be physics no doubt, but I have read to memorize formulas. Physics was just hard for me and I know it will be hard on the MCAT.

VR is cake for me. I don't know why but it's my highest score.

I just took the Biology practice exam for shits and giggles just to see where I'm at and scored an 8. My thought is that I should be able to do a 10 with studying.

I am planning to take it in January and I am taking Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry as a refresher since those were my weak grades. My last job really killed my GPA, so I plan to work on school mainly to get my GPA up instead of stressing about work and not doing so well in school.

I am nervous as hell for the mcat. My goal is a 30 and I'm nervous as hell.

35Q in August 07 on computer. Don't memorize any more than the basic formulas. Even then, it won't get you very far. It's a test of your ability to quickly read and digest sometimes complicated passages with extraneous information. Take as many practice tests as you can, that's what helped me. Once you've done a few, you realize the material they test is very basic for the most part. Good luck!

Plurrred, where is your interview? I'm applying and haven't gotten any interviews yet....starting to get worried.

protovack said:

Jeez - we've got some smarties here on BL. Who knew?!

My interview is at my alma mater. I think that helped move things a bit faster (not only did I go there, but I worked there for a few years after graduation). Although I don't know any decision makers, I know quite a few med students and people associated with the school (just from being around campus and whatnot).

I haven't heard from anywhere else though - it is one big waiting game at this point (minus the OHSU secondary essay that I JUST CAN NOT FINISH!). Most people have been telling me that most interviews start coming in next month and november. It is still early. Things will come for you.

I can't wait for this shit to be over with. I'm already drained.

Bleagh.

OHSU secondary - "How will you evaluate your success as a medical student?"

Why is this the hardest question ever? :) I've been pre-writing on it for 3 weeks, have a draft that I don't like, and want to start over. I have good ideas but can't seem to form them into anything resembling flowing sentences. AND, I'm an Oregon resident so the pressure is on for me to impress (it's my #1 choice).

I like the multiple, short answer format much better than the "write 1 page on one nebulous question" style so OHSU is annoying in that way. But such a great school. Everyone I talk to says "I LOVE OHSU so much, I'm having a blast."

I'm ready to be done with this whole thing, what an insane process. It's like you have to BEG permission from society to do this...understandable I suppose.

Are you an Oregon resident plurrred?

protovack said:
Are you an Oregon resident plurrred?

California actually. But OHSU is probably tied for #2 choice behind UCSF. I love oregon, i love portland and i love OHSU (especially their sky tram!).

I think I've finally finished my essay on evaluating my success as a medical student (I hijacked 3 different essays from other secondaries, cut about half of them and added). I'm actually having trouble on the diversity essay, most of the schools' diversity questions ask about what I'll bring to their school. OSHU is more about how it has and will affect me in the future in the medical field (probably a better question, but not something i'm really ready to answer - especially because what makes me diverse has little or nothing to do with my desire to go into medicine).

ARGH!

Goal: Finish by next weekend.

Good luck!

How important are the personal statements in the apps? I want to throw into my applications that I worked 40-50 hour weeks while going to school. I don't know if that helps any, but it explains why my gpa is lower than most college kids who don't work.

I'm redoing some classes to pull A's where I know I can, but I know the question will come up.

Also, what exactly do they do in an interview? Do they call you? Make you come in and sit in front of a panel of people? How does that work?

lysis, i would say it certainly couldn't hurt to add that you worked fulltime (and overtime) while taking classes, BUT it could also damage you in the event that someone reads that and would prefer to have someone as a fulltime student who is devoted 100% to school work.

nope, i couldnt get into med school. so i wont even waste my time applying or studying for the mcats. even though i go to a top 25 university, i know at best i would get into a DO program, so fuck that

sunset117 said:
nope, i couldnt get into med school. so i wont even waste my time applying or studying for the mcats. even though i go to a top 25 university, i know at best i would get into a DO program, so fuck that

What is wrong with a DO program? I know that it's not considered as prestigious, but most people don't know the difference. I have heard that some hospitals only take MDs, but that's the only con I have heard about it.

yowza! someone's got a case of the uppity top school bullshit.

DO is just fine. you can do anything an MD can do, you just have to take 2 extra board exams if you're interested in going to an MD specific specialty. a bit of extra work, but not much. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_allopathic_and_osteopathic_medicine

------------------------------

working full time is not a positive or a negative, unless you're doing some sort of research or medical related work. yes, some places will be understanding, but there are plenty of people out there who did work AND did well in their classes too. it seems that the most important things are:

1. GPA & MCAT (equally important)
2. Personal Statement + Secondary Essays
3. Medical related work/volunteerism or science research
4. Interview
5. Letters of Recommendation

6. Everything else.

Like it or not, the really awesome work you did as a tour guide or tutoring underprivileged kids or whatever isn't that important for the medical school admissions process.

Simple fact of the matter is that you need a good GPA/MCAT to open the door.

Last edited:
Lysis said:
What is wrong with a DO program? I know that it's not considered as prestigious, but most people don't know the difference. I have heard that some hospitals only take MDs, but that's the only con I have heard about it.

Even that is not that common anymore. I'm a first year student at a DO school. It's definitely targeted toward those of us who want to go into primary care, especially family medicine; practical people who want the job, not the letters after their name. People likely to have lots of clinical healthcare job experience, rather than lots of lab research. But it's the same education MD students get. Actually a bit more.

Med school in the US is ridiculously competitive. This is pure hearsay mind you, but a 2nd year student at my school told me that George Washington U. had 17,000 applicants for 100 seats this past year. My school had 4,000 for 125 seats. A lot easier, but still not great odds. This guy told me it was much preferable, when looking for physician jobs in the US, to have a DO from a US school than an MD from a foreign school, since they could be pretty certain there'd be no cultural or health care protocol differences.

I'm not as smart as protovack or PlurredChemistry. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 (a student who couldn't be fucked to reach for that A unless I really liked the class, and much of the time was happy to glide by with a B). My MCAT was 32Q. That's not competitive for any US MD programs. I was looking into schools in the Philippines if I didn't get into the DO program I did.

I took the last paper MCAT, and took it only once. Lysis, I'm a lot like you in terms of academic talents -- I can do anything involving words without much effort. I struggle with the mathier sciences, especially physics. As such, I did seven practice physical science MCATs in the 3 weeks before the real deal, but only one verbal section. Take as many practice MCATs -- timed of course -- as you can get your hands on. Getting a feel for how the questions are asked is half the battle. I even rationed out the time spent on each reading passage, and got to the point where I spent the exact same amount of seconds on each question. I've never taken a computer based test of any kind, but I remember that leaving questions undone on the paper version cost chunks of points, and I made sure to keep that problem from occurring.

I tutored myself entirely for the MCAT, in between work and school -- it helped that the classwork I was doing / had just done dovetailed nicely with what the MCAT science sections wanted me to know. This method may or may not work for you. If the structure of a class is more motivating for you, I say do it.

Good luck Lysis, and be sure to let us all know how you do!

protovack said:
haven't heard anything yet....this is such an excruciating wait...

UCSF & UCSF/UCB JMP interview!

I can't believe it. I genuinely owe a lot of this to harm reduction and (indirectly) bluelight.

Go team BL!

Lysis,

One of my old students emailed me the other day about the application process, here's the reply I gave them. Should be useful for you too.

-------------------

Right now you should start thinking about when exactly you're hoping
to start med school and start working out a schedule around that.
Primaries are available starting in June and you should be ready to
submit by sometime in July. The primary doesn't really change much
from year to year, so you should be able start working on that now
(www.amcas.org).

The other things you can do right now:

1. Figure out how to get official transcripts sent to AMCAS (the
application service) from any school that you did undergraduate work
at (community colleges too). Those will need to be sent to AMCAS
around the same time you send your primary application in (I had 4
colleges to work with, which was less than easy).

2. Arrange your letters of recommendation. If your school has a
letters service, figure out how it works, if not, I recommend working
with Interfolio (www.interfolio.com). They're a great easy way to
organize and send out your letters as needed. Don't forget, you need
at least three, two of which should be from professors who taught you.
I worked around this requirement because I was out of school for a
while... Also, you need your letters to be ready for your secondaries
- meaning you want them to be ready by August (of the year you're
applying). Schools won't even look at your secondary application
until you have those in.

3. Start your personal statement. This is huge. 5300 characters. I
did about 10 drafts. This is your opportunity to come out of the
application and give it a human face. I was initially not wanting to
do this, but I'm sure it has helped me a ton, mostly because i've had
a unique path to med school. What makes you unique? Why medicine?
You probably don't need to start writing now, but you certainly want
to start think about what you could and what you want to write about.

4. Start thinking about how many and what schools you want to apply
to. The MSAR is a useful resource, but does cite numbers than are
necessarily true (because it quotes GPA/MCAT for all accepted
students, NOT the numbers in the individual class). It can be a bit
intimidating, but is a good starting point. Use the GPA/MCAT as a
guideline, but have a reason WHY you are applying to each individual
school. This will be helpful during secondaries and interviews..

5. Get a suit. Or at least start thinking about what you want to
wear. Make it something that you can feel confident and good while
wearing it. The interview is stressful enough and the suit is one of
the few things you have control over.

----------------------

Thanks so much guys! They have a nice DO school by me, and that is where I want to apply. I'm really nervous, but I have great professors this year so I'm hoping it will help. I want to take the MCAT in January, but I'm thinking about pushing it back.

My goal is a 30, which I think is a reasonable goal considering my physics scores won't be that good and I already know that. LOL

This thread has been immensely helpful!