• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont get dope man, that would be the worst mistake. Is there a local clinic so your clinic can call and verify that you are a patient?

DO NOT make a doctors appointment unless you want to risk getting kicked out of methadone treatment. I've heard some pretty bad stories.

I'm sorry, but unless you go back to get your dose you're going to experience some nasty side effects.

Some online conversion calculators are saying 240-260mg dihydrocodeine is equivalent, but I'd be a little skeptical of that. Its at least worth a shot if you CANNOT get your methadone. Search for the CWE thread here and do a good one.

Ok, feeling a bit calmer now. Found this article and it seems dihydrocodiene will be as effective. As far as I can see 25mg methadone = 30mg dhc. So all I need to do is take 4 of the paramol pills that have 8mg paramol in and i should be ok. Does that sound correct?

http://ebmh.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/10/3/88

Intervention: Methadone (1 mg/ml) or dihydrocodeine (30 mg or 60 mg) at doses reflecting individual need. Starting doses for all participants were derived from agreed methadone doses (25 mg methadone = 30 mg dihydrocodeine) and stabilising doses were attained over a 3-week supervised induction phase.

What you guys reckon? Should paramol hold me out ok over the weekend?

Unless you are on a detox/lowering your dose regularly, you will be fine.

It takes 4 or 5 days for acute withdrawal to set in in most MMT patients. One day you will be fine, two days you will be fine possibly with some slight hot/cold every once in awhile, a little sweating. You will still be able to eat and sleep like normal.

Just don't panic. You will be fine. I routinely go more than 2 days without a dose still going to work, eating and sleeping like normal (in my case it is to deal with the horrible constipation of MMT; I have to go a couple days without a dose every week or two to have a bowel movement).

Why can't you go back and get your take homes? 4 hours is not far.

Not sure about local clinics, I'm gonna be with my parents a lot and they dont know so it is all gonna be very awkward, so the paramol seems an easier option

Some online conversion calculators are saying 240-260mg dihydrocodeine is equivalent,

where did you find this? Does sound more like it, it being nearly mg / mg equivilent sounds a bit stupid tbh.

Unless you are on a detox/lowering your dose regularly, you will be fine.

It takes 4 or 5 days for acute withdrawal to set in in most MMT patients. One day you will be fine, two days you will be fine possibly with some slight hot/cold every once in awhile, a little sweating. You will still be able to eat and sleep like normal.

Just don't panic. You will be fine. I routinely go more than 2 days without a dose still going to work, eating and sleeping like normal (in my case it is to deal with the horrible constipation of MMT; I have to go a couple days without a dose every week or two to have a bowel movement).

Why can't you go back and get your take homes? 4 hours is not far.

Don't have the time/money to get back there really. Yeah I have missed a dose for a day once, but i do remember feeling pretty shitty the next day.. Hmm maybe I am worrying too much. A few paramols and I shouldn't be too bad.

I don't know about feeling fine. It's more psychological the first two days, but not having it can be hell for sure. Here's what you need to do:

Phone a friend you really trust in Kingston, have them go over to your place, grab the methadone, overnight it to you. Problem solved.

Unless you'll be back in <72 hours, then toughing it out wouldn't be so bad, and you'd have a nice extra bit of 'done to go home to.

Reading quite a few studies online and it does seem widely accepted that dhc is as effective as methadone. So if I can work out how much to do, gonna do that.

Reading quite a few studies online and it does seem widely accepted that dhc is as effective as methadone. So if I can work out how much to do, gonna do that.

I'm on my phone now, but google methadone to dihydrocodeine convertor. I found the conversion on a couple of those. One site said 3mg methadone = 30mg dihydrocodeine, so I'm wondering if your source missed a decimal or something.

The equianalgesic charts are showing 1mg Methadone = 5mg DHC. So 25mg Methadone = 125mg DHC.

http://codeine.50g.com/info/facts.html

This is just a very rough guide, not exact. It would be impossible to get an exact, 100% correct conversion for your individual physiology. If you need to use DHC, make sure you do not overdo it with the APAP.

Ok, thanks guys. Gonna get some Paramol tomorow, CWE about 200 - 300 mg and hope that it will sort me out for the day.

Cheers for your help

Something of interest might be a decent explanation of why Methadone and other Opiate Replacement Therapy aka Opioid Maintenance Treatment is used, and how it works/why it is a good thing. I found this as an introduction to MMT on a harm reduction/methadone advocacy website:

TREATMENT OF OPIATE ADDICTION AS A METABOLIC DISEASE

In the nineteen sixties, researchers at The Rockefeller Universitybegan to question prevailing theories of addiction that were predicated on prevailing psychological attributes of addicted persons and conditioning theory. Dole and Nyswander (1970) indicated in an article addressing these ideas that heroin addiction may be a metabolical disease. Clinical and laboratory studies suggest that the relapse- provoking narcotic hunger is symtomatic of a metabolic dysfunction within the endogenous opiate receptor-ligand system results from repeated use of opiates.

Although some patients function normally without medication after a period of treatment, the majority experience a return of drug hunger. If they do not reenter treatment, they are likely to relapse despite being motivated to remain abstinent and attempt to function normally within the community. Therefore, Methadone Maintenance is a corrective, not a curative procedure of indefinite duration (Dole 1970; Kreek 1973, 1976)

Kreek studied subjects who detoxified from heroin or methadone and who succeeded in remaining abstinent from narcotics. She observed during abstinence there was persistent abnormal neuroendocrine effects in both goups and has speculated these abnormal responses in neuroendocrine functioning can contribute to relapse (Kreek 1986 1988)/ With new analytic techniques available and the discovery of specific ligands that bind to receptors. Dole supports the renewed interest subject of protracted abstinence syndrome.

http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org/35601/index.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

Thanks God for this thread. I have just recently started my methadone treatment(last friday), and have not felt more hopeful in years. Props to all my fellow bluelighters for their support and quality information.

Methadone Question......?

I have just aquired 5 10mg tabs of methadone and I used to be a hardcore heroin and general opiate addict but have been very good lately and my tolerance has gone down considerably. I ate a 40mg oxy a coupld days ago and got high so my question is should I take all 5 10mg pills or start with 3 or so?

(try to check with the methadone mega thread.)
but i would say continue being "very good" and stay off the opiates..
<3

Back when I could get high off of a 40, I would only need about 15-20 mg of methadone to get high for a day or two. Then again, everyone's different, but it sounds like you're aiming a little too high. But don't take my word for it...

Yeah, if you must take them, don't take 50mg 'done at once. If 40mg of oxy got you high, I wouldn't recommend more than 20, maybe 25mg of methadone. Better to start small, since methadone takes hours to peak, and you don't want to overdo it.

Why take all 5 at once when you could start with 1 or 2?

haha, I told you already on AIM and you still posted a thread. Ima smack u lol

Status
Not open for further replies.