• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin Mega Thread and FAQ

EA-1475 said:
Here in St. Louis, heroin HCL comes in capsules which are called "buttons".

Curious, what is the method used for taking heroin rectally?

plugging. oral syringe 1cc of warm water mixed with dope suck up in syringe, shove up ass, plug. my favorite RoA besides IV.

Is australia its "caps" or just a "deal", theres no dime bags or any of that american terminology, you buy it in $50 deals, thats the smallest amount you can buy.

Here all the names ive heard are:
Gear, in the Sydney underground it usually means heroin but alot of people also call any drug gear, even weed and pills which is a little frusterating, gear IMO should just be heroin.

Some people call it harry, H, smack, junk and a few other names I dont remember.

Micron filters are referred to as UFO's.

When you get drugs off the street rather than copping its just scoring, when you walk down a heroin infested street then you will hear dealers saying "score? score?"

Needles are either fits or picks.

The practice of injecting is usually referred to as "whacking up"

Being on heroin is usually referred to as "being on the nod" or being "smacked out"

There is alot of slang over here in australia that can get confusing or noones ever heard of it before. Things work a little bit differently over here just like in any foreign country. If I find more ill post it up.

Any of you have extensive experience with BOTH tar AND powder forms of dope?

I'd like to hear from someone who has had extensive experience with both versions of heroin, the tar stuff, which from what I've read seems to be more popular on the west coast, and the powder form, which predominates on the east coast/northeast.

I've never come across anything but the powder which is found in the NYC metropolitan region, which, once I found a decent supplier, almost always seemed to provide a heavenly connection to euphoric bliss. And this, despite the fact that I was strictly a smoker. I had people tell me that my "positive" experiences could largely be attributed to the fact that we in the NYC area had access to relatively pure and powerful dope, whereas people in other parts of the country had to rely on the black tar forms of the drug, which were typically weaker and couldn't really provide the same bang for the buck.

Can anyone with some valid experience behind their claims please shed some light on the subjective differences between the varying forms of the drug?

Thanks...

Signed,
I'm Clearly Running Out of My Suboxone Tablets...

Powder can be extremely weak or extremely strong, tar can be extremely weak or extremely strong. What other information do you need?

Yes, D comes in really shit tar & powder as well as strong, but the best powder is better than the best tar. Tar smoke is sharp, like sharp smoke of some kind... and vinegary. Powder drip is the same in your sinuses. IV'ing 'good' tar one gets :p is this nasty black liquid, certainly a poorer solution than diamorphine hcl, sometimes cut with lactose. I think I heard taht on Monk.

tar feels different than powder. at least in my experience it lasts longer but comes up slower even iv (the only way to do it i guess)... Its also a bit more euphoric imo i think it has to do with more alkaloids in it, as opposed to powder which is usually cut with lots of bull and/or fent, fent having no euphoria in my experience. i think tar is worse for you health wise tho. Ive always wondered if it turns sticky in your veins and shit afeter you shoot it.

Merging question about experiences with tar and powder heroin into the Heroin Mega Thread.

I think I heard taht on Monk.
...which is the #1 trusted source for information on heroin. ;)

Just messing around. I like that show a lot, I remember what episode you're talking about, the guy who shares the building with Monk's psychiatrist has a bunch of huge bags of lactose or something like that. Good stuff. =D

I've had quite a bit of experience with both. I agree that the tar high is a little bit milder, longer lasting than powder dope. IME, I found the potency of tar to be more consistent than stamp bags, even though I had a number of different sources for tar. That may have been more coincidence than anything. Fortunately for you, at least when you were using, the best powder in the country comes from the NYC/NJ area. There are cities in the northeast were you can by a bundle, and go through the whole B without ever really getting a proper high. I never had this happen with tar. A balloon or two was almost always enough to get me nodding.
Shooting tar seems to be fraught with more potential dangers than shooting powder. A lot of the people that I knew that shot, had a lot of problems with abcesses and other bacterial infections from banging. That seems to be a much less frequent problem for people, including myself on occasion, that shoot powder. I usually smoked tar, and like the other poster mentioned, the smoke has a very acrid, vinegary, taste to it. You get used to it to the point where I actually liked it(addiction) and the high from this route of administration is very peaceful and sedating. I've never seen someone smoke No. 4, but I've heard that you can mix it with saliva and smoke it off a foil. I have no idea how this works.

This #3/#4 thing puzzles me. 99% of the powder I've done came from NYC, but I've also had some from Paterson and Newark. ALL of the powder was smokable, straight up, off of foil, no adding of caffeine or saliva or water or anything. Does this mean that all of the powder had caffeine (or some sort of other additive) already added to it?

I should add that one of my acquaintances was also buying from one of my dealers, and he was IV'ing the shit that I was smoking. Now, I've never seen him do it, but a mutual friend witnessed him bang it, and he said it was a fairly quick and straightforward process. I've always thought that the dope which could easily and immediately be smoked could not be injected without some sort of additional process... And likewise, that dope which could be injected easily and immediately couldn't be smoked without an additional intermediary process.

Last edited:
Caffeine is a pretty common cut in heroin in North America. There is a good chance the heroin you had was cut with caffeine if you were able to smoke it.

#4 heroin with caffeine added to it can be both IVed and smoked. #3 would require the addition of some form of an acid to make it usable for IVing, but could be smoked as-is.

So I guess it's safe to say that virtually all of the stuff we bought was probably #4... Which is somewhat amusing to me, the notion that all of that dope, coming through at least four different sources, was all mixed with caffeine... It's just pretty incredible, I guess, the logistics and process behind the distribution/sale. Someone had to make the conscious decision to put together a certain mix, which assumes the people receiving it know what it is that they'll be buying, and maybe even have a preference for a certain form of the drug... Or have customers who prefer a certain form. I dunno, I'm just amazed by the "informal economy" that this sort of shit creates.

Holy shit, I really ought to get my suboxone Rx refilled like immediately.

I was just guessing as to what was going on with that dope. There is no way for me to know, and I never meant my answer to be taken as being THE answer.

I don't know how to explain this phenomena. The fact is, #3 and #4 are different. One cannot be shot without being altered, and the other cannot be smoked without being altered. The asshole thing to say would be one of you has a very powerful placebo going on, but that can't be the case, because placebo may work once or twice, but eventually you know what's going on.

An alternate explanation is that somehow you managed to add enough heat to the un-caffeinated heroin so that it vaporized but didn't burn. The reason you are supposed to add caffeine to #4 is because it lowers the melting point, meaning it will vaporize before it burns off. Without caffeine, it should be almost impossible to do.

However, the addition of other cuts could give you the same results as adding caffeine. Depending on what cuts they were, they could have lowered the melting point. This would actually be the most likely explanation, because the cuts wouldn't always have to be the same. Different proportions of different cuts could all theoretically achieve the same results. But really, what are the odds that all these different dealers just happened to add the exact amount of their preferred cuts to make the dope smokable? Slim to none, my friend, slim to none.

In other words, there is no way to know for sure what happened. You were able to smoke it and your friend was able to shoot it. Just be happy with that, I guess. There's nothing else we can do.

In other words, there is no way to know for sure what happened. You were able to smoke it and your friend was able to shoot it. Just be happy with that, I guess. There's nothing else we can do.

And happy I was, indeed. :)

Thanks for the clarification and help on the matter.

Cleaning syringes - DON'T BOIL

^boiling water sounds good. but i'm not really sure what temp. you have to reach and for how long. to kill all bacteria. it is good to use bleach to clean your syringes. and good point. don't forget to clean the spot where you're going to inject. i use hand sanitizer when i IV things.

DON'T use boiling water to clean needles and syringes - it coagulates blood proteins and can actually trap viruses like HIV in the syringe, leading to transmission.

Best practice - wash with warm soapy water, rinse, wash with bleach, rinse. Warm soapy water is probably better than water alone if you haven't got bleach. I'd avoid using alcohol or other solvents because it will damage the plunger. AIVL have a good resource on cleaning syringes.

Various Heroin Use Methods

I've done heroin now a couple of times, and the various methods of getting it into me have been:

-off tin-foil
-insufflation
-off the end, inside, a glass one-hitter, which brings me to my next question

Has and/or does any one smoke H in a bubble-pipe (meth pipe)?

So please, list all the ways you yourself have actually ingested. Thanks.

Only smoked on foil and insufflated.
Smoking gives a nice rush and snorting takes longer to come on but gives a real body-load, stoning type feeling. Both nice.

I think people avoid smoking it from a meth pipe because of the inability to control the heat.
On foil, the surface heats and cools quickly, so you're not wasting any due to the glass taking ages to cool down.

I smoked it out of a meth pipe. I guess it isn't the best method, but it works okay.

Ive only ever shot heroin, I guess im in the minority but the first time I ever did heroin I shot it. If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right. Unfortunately it wasnt what I expected and while it was nice for some reason I prefer other opiates IV'd or even oxy snorted. Heroin is just way too expensive and if I want a decent shot I need like $<snip> worth.

Last edited by a moderator: