• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Xanax Overdose with Liquor

januaryfriend

Bluelighter
Ok. I have read past posts on the difficulty of overdosing on JUST Xanax. But a friend of mine just recieved around 80, 1 mg tabs (800 mg's total) from a faithul internet supplier. He was wondering about simply mixing them up in a shake (vanilla) and drinking it quickly.
Based on the posts that I could find, I told him that he'd simply sleep for awhile (perhaps days, even) and awaken a bit hungry, dazed, confused, and not remembering a damn thing. He has no job, lives alone, thus no one would really miss him for that long.
So, he mentions that he may first drink a pint of Jack Daniels, then chase it with the shake. I know, a nasty, weird flavor concoction.
My question is, if he does mix the two, is he guaranteed a pleasant, long nocturnal experience, an unpleasant, long nocturnal experience, or a coma, quickly progressing to death?
I really need to counsel this guy.
Please give any input you may have.

Are you planning to cash in on the life-insurance you bought on his name????

So, how much Xanax is he going to take? Details... This sounds interestingly weird and scary...
You might want to keep close tabs on this guy, since he doesn't know much. Why not just tell him not to do it at all.
I'm sorry if I misread your post, but it reads as if he going to do a VERY dangerous amount of Xanax, along with alcohol...
[ 25 July 2002: Message edited by: Dr_Rolls_MD[MA] ]

Ok so you mean 80mg? What on earth would be the point of this. God, I've seen people nod into oblivion from 8mg. Is your friend just self destructive, crying for help, or a moron?
Combined with alcohol, it is actully quite easy to die with benzos. The proof is in the fact that many have accidentally died with a FAR LESSER dose than 80mg xanax, combined with alcohol.
Your friend would probably die, but if he was lucky enough to live, he'd probably be more than a little sleepy.

I would try to seach for the LD50 for alprozolam and see if you could find it. I have no clue what it is, but Search google and look for as much info as you can so you can offer some solid reasons why 80 mgs of xanax is not a great idea.
Damn...I'm dumbfounded as to why anyone would want to do that. Really, I'm blown away.
But definately intervene, with help from people that know this kid. Best of luck.

This is interesting. What's the point? That's my only question. Not sarcastically either, honestly wondering what the point is. Is there a goal for this or anything?

Taken from www.rxlist.com regarding the LD50:
The acute oral LD50 in rats is 331-2171 mg/kg. Other experiments in animals have indicated that cardiopulmonary collapse can occur following massive intravenous doses of alprazolam (over 195 mg/kg; 975 times the maximum recommended daily human dose of 10 mg/day). Animals could be resuscitated with positive mechanical ventilation and the intravenous infusion of norepinephrine bitartrate.
So is this friend planning on taking them all? If this is the case, what is he trying to accomplish, seems kinda stupid because if he does manage to wake back up, he isn't going to remember anything from the time he was passed out. He will just find out that he wasted 80mg of xanax if he ever wakes up.

Just sounds like a stupid fucking way to waste a night, drugs, alcohol and probably a life to me.
Have you asked him what the hell the point is?

I suggest you increase your life insurance policy on him befor he gets on. This way your sure to cash in on his death. Afterall he will die if he takes what you posted...

anyone who even comes up with that idea in the first place probably should go ahead and do it.

I've taken a Xanax alcohol combo before and in my opinion its great. However make sure he only takes a around .25 mg to .5 mg of Xanax with the alcohol......any more than that might be extrememly dangerous.

If you love this guy, or even care about him REMOTELY, you should persuade him to not do what he's about to do. Either that or make sure he gives you the name of the Internet site he ordered from...BEFORE he engages in this concoction.
[ 26 July 2002: Message edited by: End_User ]

I think it's a bad idea for a high dosage of either.
While benzo's do have a much higher threshold that must be consumed to throw somebody into a coma then a sedative/hypnotic does, mixing alcohol with a benzo will potentiate the sedative/hypnotic's ability to overdose the person at a lower threshold.
First, I'd be worried about stopped breathing.

Last edited:
I've seen something like this first hand. Do not mix xanax with alcohol unless you can control the urge to drink more or take more pills... just my .02

this is just fukin stupid..... 80mg's of xanax plus X amount of alcohol will kill you. PERIOD.
if he's lookin for a buzz just tell him to take like 10 mgs of the xanax.
that's just insane. i take 3 mgs of xanax and i'm noddin out.
BENZOS AND ALCOHOL IS ALSO N E V E R A G O O D I D E A ! ! ! !

It depends on his tolerance, but 80mg of Xanax is going to mess you up regardless. I have a decent tolerance to Xanax myself. I can take 7mg and drink a 12 pack of beer and be in "a nice place", but I've never gone over 8mg, and even that's quite a bit for most people. Does your friend have a tolerance built up to benzo's already? When I first started taking Xanax, I would take 2-3 mg and be pretty messed up. At this point 4mg is a good dose to relax me enough to fall asleep. He's gotta be suicidal if he plans on dosing 80mg plus a pint of Jack Daniels.

Thanks all. He's going to do it. I've called. He doesn't answer. I'm a fool. He's a fool...I hope he lives....

I imagine 80mg of xanax without alcohol would probably leave you in a coma or asleep for days...
Wow... some people really dont think

This is just fucking stupid! What dies he hope to accomplish!? I mean honestly, stuff like this pisses me off cause' it's this type of irresponsible bullshit that could be avoided.
I'm sorry but this pisses me off and I think your friend deserves to wake up in a hospital barely hanging onto his life support.