Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

So I have been to see a psychic...

deeCee

Bluelight Crew
So out of pure curiosity, I went to the psychic centre with a group of people from work and my gf. I went expecting nothing, just going along for a laugh to see what shit they could ramble off. To my surprise she said shit that she couldn't possibly know!

eg. My nana is a widow of a long time and I don't think you had much to do with your grandfather (he died before I was born) who was a British man of tall stature and strength (all true)

... I'm absolutely terrible with dates and planning, especially birthdays. People will plan stuff with you in advance, but it will take til the day before for someone to remind you.

... I'm terrible at making decisions, its not that I'm worried about making the wrong decision, it's making the decision that I'm most going to benefit from that I can't make.

... There's something wrong with your leg, a joint or something, keep an eye on it and strap it up, just be careful (I have a dodgy ankle, but I don't have a limp or anything)

...You've been here a while and you will continue to be here a while because you are quite comfortable here.

Things I got told about the future..

...I'm getting 3 tickets to to something, one is brought by me, one is brought for me and the other one is coming from somewhere else I don't know.

...I'm going to open and close doors at work, and move into something that will be getting further educated but still getting paid to do it

... I have a girlfriend who I will be with for a long time, we're a bit different, but thats not going to matter as we love each other.

... My nana is going to be sick really soon and mum is going to ask you to go home, but your going to stick to your guns and stay, she knows your not going to come, but she'll still ask (the psychic actually thought I was english)

SO I'm not going to say I'm a true believer or anything, but it definitely has opened my eyes to something more wider.. There was a couple other freeky things, but I'll save them for later.. But a hot tip is, don't go to a psychic night with your boss to a public reading if you don't like your job ;)

I have a perfectly sane logical thinking mate who goes to them also and swears by them.

I respect what you want to believe.

Me personally...........sorry but its all just hocus pocus.

This happened to me when I was about 17, a psychic said there was someone watching over me playing piano (I never mentioned anything about a piano, but there was a photo of my late grandfather Doug on my piano)

She also said she felt this person died short of breath - Doug died of an asthma attack.

She said a whole lot of other stuff which really impressed me at the time but which I don't remember now at all, but one of the things was a recommendation that I take up painting, ummm, never really did that and never had any inclination to! I'm not the artistic type. My best efforts, and I did make some sort of effort, were pretty bloody shoddy.

But yeah... I don't know.. had some scarily accurate things and some things I've thought.. um, ok. I wonder whether you just take more notice of the scarily accurate things.

I went to a psychic at Legs 11 a few years ago. She said I was going to marry the man that I loved, even though he was out of the country, within two years.

Well, I did have a quick fling with someone, which ended because he went to America for six months (and was over there at the time of the reading.) Two years down the track and we're getting married in October!

Or not.

Readings are fun but I worry about people who actually believe in them.

So called psychics are just good at reading people, and saying things that could apply to anyone. I mean who doesn't have a nanna that's been widowed a long time? There's no such thing as magic.

This is on my to-do list. I don't think you can tell a lot about me by looking at me in person so I'm curious as to what someone who "reads people" can come up with vs someone with mystical powers.

^ I can read your brain though hopti. Didn't i tell you about my mystical powers ;)

I don't think it's healthy to go looking for "answers" to your life from anything based on (and this is imho) hocus pocus crap. If people want answers see a professional not someone who claims they are psychic.

If you take the things she says literally then that will be what makes them come true, not the fact she guesses some random things about you.

My best friend (who is surprisingly science minded) had an almost EXACT reading to yours and still to this day worries about who the person they said was close to her was going to become very sick and die :( She saw her 2 years ago it think. I hate these people and the fact they make money off doing this to peoples lives.

Sorry if i have offended anyones beliefs just from seeing the above about my friend i am quiet passionate about not liking people who do this for a LIVING. I don't know how they sleep at night.

I used to want to go but i think it was just because, well, who doesn't like hearing someone speak about them? But is it really worth it if your going to take what they say to heart when even if this isn't hocus pocus, it's probably better off not knowing?

I have heard as well that if they ask your birthday they are just rattling off what your star sign says about you (not you in particular deecee, anyone :)) which you have no doubt read before and so the thing in your head that goes *ding* that's me is most likely what's happening.

I mean no offence this is <3 just as i said imho.

I've not been to a psychic but a buddhist monk i know who has studied palmistry read my palm once which was pretty cool.

stuff he told me about what my life line says was pretty accurate on my past (he does know me quite well though, so he could be making stuff up based on that. i'd be surprised, though), he said i'd have two kids and if not be wealthy than be quite financially comfortable.

as TG said, i'm wary of people who do it for a living, but overall i'm open to the possibility that they're not all shysters...

I would love to see a psychic, but am not sure where to go to find one that believes in what they do- rather than some new age hippy chump who is out for a quick buck.

There is something to it, whether it turns out to be mere coinsidense or broad generalisations that could apply to anyone similar to me. If going to a psychic gives some peace of mind, then who cares if it is hocus pocus?

There are a lot of new age and hollistic alternative medicines, healers and activities around, which could all be bullshit. Crystal therapy, for example. Acupuncture is a hell of a lot more widely accepted as beneficial than it once was too.

Who isnt just a little bit curious as to what will happen in the future? Id like to know whats coming up to look forward to. Because if Im in the frame of mind that there is nothing much good going to happen,I kinda get a bit depressed ya know.

zephyr said:
There is something to it, whether it turns out to be mere coinsidense or broad generalisations that could apply to anyone similar to me. If going to a psychic gives some peace of mind, then who cares if it is hocus pocus?
Yeah that's very true, if they can give someone peace of mind then there's nothing wrong with it (even if it is someone who is a fraud). I mean i am not religious, but my mum is and i love that it makes her happy. What worries me is when it is the opposite. Some people can take things quiet literally and if a psychic gives you a reading in which they say something terrible is going to happen to you or someone you love, that can be very unstabilizing for some people.

zephyr said:
Who isnt just a little bit curious as to what will happen in the future? Id like to know whats coming up to look forward to. Because if Im in the frame of mind that there is nothing much good going to happen,I kinda get a bit depressed ya know.

I used to be exactly the same, and was so into astrology, it was like my bible. Something switched though and now i think i'd be scared to know what my future holds..:\

If i ever met someone truly psychic though i think i would be much more open minded to the idea, but still a little bit scared.

The whole thing to me seems the same as synchronicity. Of course if anything a psychic tells you comes true you apply the meaning that the psychic knew what they were talking about. Anything that doesn't come true you forget about or put down to an inability of psychic abilities to be one hundred percent accurate. So in essence you're applying special meaning to something that is actually coincidence.

Wikipedia - Synchronicity said:
In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is the tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and avoids information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs. It is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference, or as a form of selection bias toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study or disconfirmation of an alternative hypothesis. Many critics believe that any evidence for synchronicity is due to confirmation bias, and nothing else.

Wolfgang Pauli, a scientist who in his professional life was severely critical of confirmation bias, lent his scientific credibility to support the theory, coauthoring a paper with Jung on the subject. Some of the evidence that Pauli cited was that ideas which occurred in his dreams would have synchronous analogs in later correspondence with distant collaborators.[6]

Wikipedia - Littlewood's Law said:
Littlewood's Law states that individuals can expect a miracle to happen to them at the rate of about one per month.

The law was framed by Cambridge University Professor J. E. Littlewood, and published in a collection of his work, A Mathematician's Miscellany; it seeks (among other things) to debunk one element of supposed supernatural phenomenology and is related to the more general Law of Truly Large Numbers, which states that with a sample size large enough, any outrageous thing is likely to happen.

Littlewood's law, making certain suppositions, is explained as follows: Littlewood defines a miracle as an exceptional event of special significance occurring at a frequency of one in a million; during the hours in which a human is awake and alert, a human will experience one thing per second (for instance, seeing the computer screen, the keyboard, the mouse, the article, etc.); additionally, a human is alert for about eight hours per day; and as a result, a human will, in 35 days, have experienced, under these suppositions, 1,008,000 things. Accepting this definition of a miracle, one can be expected to observe one miraculous occurrence within the passing of every 35 consecutive days -- and therefore, according to this reasoning, seemingly miraculous events are actually commonplace.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Last edited:
I think that some of them may have a gift but most of them are just trying to make an easy $...

I have had a couple of people I know go to them and swear by them but I don't think I could do it, I would much rather spend my money on something else.

I remember once seeing an ad to work on a psychic hotline, and I rang them up because I was curious. Turns out all you have to do to qualify is basically say "Oh yeah, I'm psychic".

Perhaps psychics go on the premise that humans are rather predictable?
Thing is, most stories we here about psychics is when they are correct in their predictions. We never hear about their mistakes?
Are we to assume their prophecies are all correct?
Or not?

^ I wonder how often people are able to go back and find the psychic they saw years earlier to tell them if they got it right or stuffed up?

So with the public reading, the psychic said that I was stressed about money, but its not my money. (There is currently an issue at work with someone not getting paid the £22k they are owed)

I was going to shove my job or work hard at it (thoughts I have had many times, per hour)

I'm going to be closing and opening new doors in the work force (as long as I'm not one of those doormen, I'll be happy to leave)

I've lost faith in my work (couldn't be truer).

Mind you, the head of the dept was there and heard EVERYTHING!

deeCee said:
I was going to shove my job or work hard at it (thoughts I have had many times, per hour)

So you're going to keep working or stop? So insightful :D Did she also tell you that you feel like you don't quite live up to your potential, but if you really put your mind to it, you could achieve a lot? Or that you have plenty of friends but no one *really* understands you?