• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Difference between speed, meth, amphetamine, glass, base?

chrissie

Bluelight Crew
im sorry if this has been covered before, but i couldnt find it
what are the differences between speed, methamphetamine, amphetamine, glass and base? are some just slang terms for each other? i dont do these drugs but i would like to know. also, what is the difference in the high?
thank you :)

Methamphetamine and amphetamine arent slang. Check out http://www.erowid.org to find the difference tween the two. They are both central nervous system stimulants. Methamphetamine is several times stronger than amphetamines.
Glass is slang for really pure recrystalized meth that indeed looks like shards of glass.
Speed is definately slang. To me, it refers to any CNS stimulant. Crack, meth, coke, ritalin...thats all speed in my book. Some people use the term as slang for methamphetamine exclusively. I dont.
Base is slang. It's short for freebase which usually refers to cocaine freebase (crack).
Drug slang sucks. All it does is confuse people.
[ 14 July 2002: Message edited by: Snitch ]

That's what erowid says 'base' is but it's more commonly amphetamine, mainly overseas.

I realize people in europe call amphetamines base. Why is that? Is the product amphetamine freebase? I doubt it. I have no idea of why someone would call an amphetamine salt base.

Why do people call crack "crack"? I mean, cracks don't even have mass. They're just empty space. Since when did drug slang make sense? ;)

heh thanks :)
well out of them, which is the best cleanest high, in your opinion
what are the varying effects?

Originally posted by Ayrios:
Why do people call crack "crack"? I mean, cracks don't even have mass. They're just empty space. Since when did drug slang make sense? ;)
Because they make a cracking or popping sound when smoked...

All of'em are gonna speed you up.
Coke and crack are by far the most euphoric. There's a high price to pay for this though. The duration of effects is very short and the desire for the user to do more and more is overwhelming. If you have a nice supply and the proper tools for coming down like benzos or opiates, you'll have a great time.
Meth is less euphoric but speeds you up much more than the others. The effects last along time. A nice dose of benzos while doing meth is great. You get the euphoria from the benzos and the speed from the meth.
Regular amphetamine salts are pretty weak. So weak that they are often perscribed to children. Higher doses can be fun but if you have been spoiled with methamphetamine you wll most likely be extremely disappointed in amphetamines.
I dont usually label drugs as clean or dirty. I will however say that IV methylphenidate (Ritalin) feels kinda dirty. Oral and insufflated doses are fine.

Well, in my opinion the cleanest high is methamphetamine. Definitely cleaner than amphetamine but I'm sure some coke heads will say that coke is the cleanest. (Psst...meth is better).
In Europe, many people say "base" when they are referring to high quality amphetamine (which still isn't that great, but better than the normaly 5% pure amphetamine they generally buy).
In actuality, base means amphetamine base, which means the non-salt/unconjugated form. It ranges from an oily liquid to a gritty paste. It's more pure than the usual powders sold as speed, but it's harder to find and needs to be converted to a salt to be readily usuable. I am talking about Europe here; I'm not sure this is ever seen in the US.
Yeah, the crack slogan is because it supposedly makes a cracking/popping sound when heated but it could be because some crackheads fiend so bad that they have butt sex with strangers in exchange for money.

what are the differences between speed, methamphetamine, amphetamine, glass and base? are some just slang terms for each other? i dont do these drugs but i would like to know. also, what is the difference in the high?
Speed can be a generic term for any sort of amphetamine. But usually it refers to pharmaceutical amphetamines like Dexedrine, Adderal and Ritalin.
Methamphetamine and amphetamine are the actual names of the drugs, as said above.
'Glass" refers to methamphetamine. Pure meth looks like crushed up shards of glass. Another slang name for meth is "shards" because of that. A few years ago, glass only refered to really good quality meth. But once high school kids starting going to raves, dealers started telling them shitty cut up crystal was "glass" so they'd make a bigger profit. So now it's just a general term. And of course "crystal" is just another generic term for meth.
Base refers to amphetamine. It's a European term.

Originally posted by silverfucked:

Because they make a cracking or popping sound when smoked...

Yeah, yeah, I know. I was just saying slang doesn't have to make literal sense.

speed = can mean anything speedy, really.
Usually speed refers to non-MDMA amphetamines -- i.e. ritalin (a speudo-amphetamine), adderall, dexadrine (both of which are amphetamine), amphetamine sulfate (i.e. the street drug), and of course methamphetamine. In the US, speed most commonly refers to meth. Same goes for Australia and Asia. In Europe, speed usually refers to amphetamine sulfate, more commonly called BASE.
Glass is an American slang term for methamphetamine. Usually it implies high-quality meth. The term 'crystal' or 'crystal meth' is equivalent.
Methamphetamine is a slightly chemically modified version of amphetamine, and is superior in effects.
Most fun/potent to least fun/potent:
meth > amphetamine > ritalin

I'm not really sure why 'base' is called base but in the UK it would NOT refer to freebase amphetamine or anything similar.
It refers to a paste version of the normal amphetamine and not meth, which we dont get in the UK.
There is some debate about what really base is, some say its basicaly normal speed that went a bit wrong in the process and because its a paste then it cant be cut.
I'm not so sure I heard its the result of the stage before final pure powder.
Well either way it comes as a stinky grey/white paste for about £10-15 a gram.

The stage beofre the "final pure powder" is freebase.
You know? Your whole continent is doing a
form of a drug and no one seems to have any clue as to exactly what form that is. It is definately a freebase. you described it perfectly: White paste, stage before powder...
Amphtamine Freebase + H2SO4 = Amphetamine Sulfate

The word crack was used to describe the small rocks that resembled small pieces of cracked soap.

you didn't balance your equation. =)
amphetamine and sulfuric acid combine in a 2:1 ratio because sulfuric acid is divalent. each molecule of amphetamine gets one of the hydrogens (turning it into an ammonium ion) and those are bonded ionically to the sulfate ion, SO4(2-). the same goes for tartrates.
i would doubt that anything being sold as "base" is really (meth)amphetamine freebase, since the synthesis implicitly requires forming a salt of some kind in the final step, and it's just not like meth cooks to neutralize those (except if they cut it with baking soda =))
"glass" and especially "shards" are currently raver terms for "about 10% methamphetamine mixed with any other white powder and sold at vastly elevated prices". "jib" is a similar term used without any pretentious claims to quality.
"ice" is probably the least deprecated of the terms in my experience (it may actually be stronger, gram-for-gram, than ephedrine), but i'm sure that will change with time.

Have you ever smoked crack? I think the name definately comes from th ckrackling noise when it's ignited.
But who cares? This thread actually much mre interesting. Let's forget about the origins of the word "crack".

You cared enough to reply.
Thank you for that.
You may want to edit your spelling though, tough guy.

Re: Base
I think that when going from amphetamine freebase to amphetamine sulphate, it is possible to have an incomplete reaction? So the final mixture could be only partly salted out?
I am fairly sure (although have no evidence to support this) that amphetamine freebase is relatively inactive.
Please feel free to correct me...