• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Difference between speed, meth, amphetamine, glass, base?

"glass" and especially "shards" are currently raver terms for "about 10% methamphetamine mixed with any other white powder and sold at vastly elevated prices".
I disagree with this comment. I was getting definitely pure methamphetamine that was being reffered to as "shards". They were small pebbles of a clear chemical when broke split into shards. Very nice.
[ 17 July 2002: Message edited by: C21H23NO5 ]

"ice" is actually 4MethylAminorex, which affects the norepenephrine system, rather than the dopamine system, like amphetamines do. however, i've personally never seen it so i cant tell you anything about the effects

"glass" and especially "shards" are currently raver terms for "about 10% methamphetamine mixed with any other white powder and sold at vastly elevated prices".
When meth looks like glass shards, it's been recrystallized. Recrystallization purifies the product. The best I can describe it it this: The crystals of any compund fit together like a puzzle. When you recrystalize the product you are in a sense putting together the puzzle. Nothing else, including impurities, can fit in between the pieces (crystals).
"Glass or "shard" of meth are as close to 100% purity as you are gonna get. In fact, you are most likely looking at a product that is upwards of 97% whenit has been recrystalized.
Roches, this is organic chemistry. Fuck balancing equations [laugh]
Also, I am fairly confident base sold n Europe is indeed amphetamine freebase. Why cooks dont take it a step further and salt it out? I have no idea.
[ 18 July 2002: Message edited by: Snitch ]

"ice" is actually 4MethylAminorex, which affects the norepenephrine system, rather than the dopamine system, like amphetamines do. however, i've personally never seen it so i cant tell you anything about the effects
While ice does properly refer to 4-meythylaminorex, it is INCORRECT that 4-MAR affects the norepinephrine system...it does so only very miniminally, and in fact, the biggest difference between amphetamine and 4-MAR, is that amphetamines have much more of an effect on the norepineprhine system than 4-MAR.
Amphetamines = norepinephrine, dopamine
Ice/4-MAR = serotonin, dopamine
MDMA = serotonin, norepinephrine
Of course, all of the above drugs affect all three neurotransmitter systems but it seems that if you had to pick two big players for each drug, that those are what you would choose.

Roches, this is organic chemistry. Fuck balancing equations [laugh]
I'll let Roches speak for himself but I have a hunch that he knows more about organic chemistry than you do about balancing equations.
But this is really more of a slang question than a chemistry one. Ravers buy "shards" all the time, but few are getting pure meth. This is just the term most of them use for speed, because it sounds k00l.

oh, right, 4-methylaminorex.. yeah, that's technically "ice", but ice is a rare term around here so i'm not sure really what it is (i've only encountered it once).
snitch actually has a point; organic chemists usually don't balance their equations. and they have a habit of putting reagents above the arrow so they don't have to balance. but that's ok, because many reagents don't react stoichiometrically anyway. however, the reaction for the formation of amphetamine sulfate from amphetamine and H2SO4 is known and can be balanced. =P

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the word 'jib'? Is it just popular here in Southern Ontario?

Originally posted by NoriegA:
There all just different grades and qualities of speed...
Yep. Basically, people interchange the words all the time. Just because somebody says, "yo dogg, I got some awesome shards for ya!" doesn't necessarily mean it's some good dope. Slang terms and proper words are always getting thrown around and people get confused, especially in the drug culture.
For example, around my area crystal meth is commonly referred to as 'crank.' The quality is usually fairly good. But in many other areas, people ALWAYS refer to 'crank' as low quality crystal.

taken from erowid's faq of 4-MAR
Q1. What is 4-methylaminorex?
A1. 4-methylaminorex (also called "Ice") is a potent norepinephrine modulator, increasing it's effect. It has a characteristic look and feel, like white opaque ice, hence the name. Ice is currently a Schedule I drug as designated by the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) which means it is felt to have NO medical use whatsoever. It was originally researched for appetite suppressant ability, but never pursued, probably because it's too much fun. It is important to know that the slang term 'ice' is also used to refer to methamphetamine.
fairnymph i apologize for giving out incorrect information, but since my source is apparantly wrong, then i too am wrong. :)

^^^
ouch that sucks
i know many people treat that as a drug bible

erowid is the most useful source for drug information, without having to do mass research through medical documents. fairnymph maybe you should email 'em so they can correct that, since you seem to have known they were wrong for a while

The thing is, erowid isn't the author of everything that appears on the site. The 4-MAR faq is written by elusis, who was never affiliated with erowid, and who also happens to be serving the latter part of a federal prison term for manufacture of MDMA. Go figure.