• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

⫸STICKY⫷ The Delphic Oracle- Know Thyself: P&S Social Ampitheatre of Doom

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
Does anyone happen to know the exact context of Gandhi's famous 'Be the change you wish to see in the world' quote?

Ebola, if there's one thing you've taught me here, it's the danger of taking some dead guy's witty aphorism out of context, the way many people do.

ive looked for the speech, article, whatever else for quite some time now to no avail. i had to sign back in, but im gonna find it if it takes me a long time. that really has me curious now.

JV's on a mission!

B9, I just use three carats to indicate I'm directing my comment at the post directly before mine. I've never heard of a protocol involving the number of carats -- I always assumed any number of them meant the same thing. If this isn't how it works, feel free to tip me off, and I'll gladly change my ways to avoid confusion.

^ Ah no I just get confused coz I use em in a different way & it isn't always apparent who is being replied to - tho it was obvious in your case.

^^ Hey, good to know Z9! As for myself, I use them to mean the post directly above mine, but I use either 1, 2, or 3 carets, seemingly randomly. The carets used in this post, too, were a random choice, which I then analyzed, leading to the content of this post.

Nice work Xorky - everything is becoming clearer to me now - namely that I am the only person to use them to (try to) indicate which post I'm responding to - I still reckon my method falls short of insanity - despite being in a minority of one.

Actually I really like your way, I think it's genius. Efficient and sleek, simple yet effective. I vote that we move to adopt this new standard as the official Bluelight Standard of Posting Caret Content Methodology.

Actually I really like your way, I think it's genius.

I really liked that post Xorky - make more of them please :D

it already is the old official BSPCCM

Really - who "officialled" it ? I am assumming you know this coz you are also a genius [edit] & so are you Xorky

WTF is BSPCCM anyway? -> Bluelight Standard of Posting Caret Content Methodology. Got it

Why, it's the Bluelight Standard of Posting Caret Content Methodology, of course

^ I know I just posted that - try to keep up man :D

B9 said:
Nice work Xorky - everything is becoming clearer to me now - namely that I am the only person to use them to (try to) indicate which post I'm responding to - I still reckon my method falls short of insanity - despite being in a minority of one.
K9 - i use this method as well, as do many posters. 1 = the post above yours, 2 = two posts up. any more than that, however, and i think the quote function should probably be utilised.

and when i make a post like this, it truly hits hard just how much i am wasting my life sitting here. :|

^ Well then felix get out into the community & do some good works - it'll be different for sure - or go surfing - I dunno I'm wasting time sitting in my stupid office typing this - lets become outlaws & stuff like that.

I'm enjoying the Underwater Kingdoms thread immensely. We really haven't had a good paranormal thread in a long time. I wonder how long it's going to keep getting bumped.

Ebola, if there's one thing you've taught me here, it's the danger of taking some dead guy's witty aphorism out of context, the way many people do.

Heh...you usually have things pretty much right on though...I also have no insight into "be the change".

There are two kinds of people in the world:
those who fit into dichotomies and those who do not.

ebola

on a similar note:

binary-people.jpg

random thought i had while reading this..

Americans are doing little to educate themselves about their leaders and their policies, says bestselling author and George Mason University historian Rick Shenkman in his new book Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the American Voter. Shenkman cites some damning facts to make his case that Americans are ill-prepared to guide the world's most powerful democracy.

so how about a test (at each election) to get a licence to vote ?
wouldnt that upgrade the quality of the world we live in ?

^it would, but it wouldnt be constitutional

i suppose if we made an amendment, but then the argument would come that less educated people have would less freedom than more educated people (and that would probably be true) and all sorts of other arguments about discrimination (depending on the nature of the test) so,

i think the amendment would never pass;

this country for some reason has the idea that its great to vote, even if you have barely a clue what you are voting about

people say that 'everyone should vote!' even when they dont hvae an agenda or candidate to praise, they just like voting for the sake of voting. well i wish people would stop saying that... because there are a lot of stupid voters