The Greatest Biggest Electronic Music Poll Ever

What are your FAVORITE Electronic Music Styles?

• Trance

Votes: 67 32.2%
  • Psy-Trance

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Progressive/Minimal Psy-Trance

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • Goa-Trance

Votes: 56 26.9%
  • Acid Trance

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Hard Trance

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Hardstyle

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • NRG

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Hard House

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Hardcore

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Happy Hardcore

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Freeform

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Gabber

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Breakcore

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Drum 'n Bass/Jungle

Votes: 87 41.8%
  • Ragga

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Garage/2-Step

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Grime

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Dubstep

Votes: 46 22.1%
  • Liquid Funk

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Atmospheric

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Jump Up

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Acid Techno

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • Funky Techno

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Progressive Techno

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • Minimal Techno

Votes: 41 19.7%
  • Ghetto Tech

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Schranz

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Electro

Votes: 51 24.5%
  • Acid House

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Progressive House

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • French House

• Funky House

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • Electro House/Fidget House

Votes: 56 26.9%
  • Deep House

Votes: 39 18.8%
  • Tech House

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Latin House

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Breaks

• Psy-Breaks

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • Funky Breaks

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Progressive Breaks

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Florida Breaks

• Nu-Skool Breaks

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Big Beat

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Chillout

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • Dub/Reggae

• IDM/Leftfield

Votes: 38 18.3%
  • Ambient

Votes: 54 26.0%
  • Glitch

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Trip-Hop

Votes: 57 27.4%

• Total voters

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Alright, this has been months in the making, we have slaved over this, reasearching into the depths of the night, interviewing record label owners, tracking down obscure artists in the jungles of Haiti, following secret codes left in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (yes, just like the DaVinci Code) by Kraftwerk, and even investigating the intentional murder of a genre (psytrance) by cocaine- all to bring you the greatest music poll ever invented by anyone ever. (I know, its hard to believe, but we researched that too.) :)

Anyway, the basic genres are as follows:

-Trance
-Hard Dance
-Drum n Bass
-Techno
-House
-Breaks
-Downtempo

You will detect that we have included a lot of sub-genre's, so you can be as picky and choosy as you'd like, and you can vote for multiple options too.

So go for it....:)

edit: Also add a bit on what you chose and why if you feel like it :)

Last edited:
the big bad mama of rave polls has arrived! please vote for all of your favorites in this multi-choice monstrosity. i chose my preferred styles from each main genre but you can of course select whatever you like.

before anyone starts crying about the oversight of their favorite niche subgenre, note that we could only fit 50 choices (!) in this poll. hopefully you can find a proper substitute on the list since we tried to represent as much as possible. happy voting!

Ah shit, I didn't realize that you could vote for multiple items. Oh well.

I voted for dub/reggae. I really like the downtempo stuff, because it seems as though it doesn't have to follow as strict a stylistic "code" as any of the other genres. Sure, trance is fun to dance to, but you really get a lot of creativity and variation in downtempo genres. (Psy)dub seems to be an ideal sub-genre in this regard.

^ let me know what else you meant to pick and i'll edit the poll votes :) you can send the list to me via pm if you prefer.

ps: psydub = <3

Where would Tangerine Dream fit? They're generally considered the original pioneers of electronic music (the band was formed in the late sixties).

If this is specifically about 21st century electronic music, I'm not familiar enough to know what to vote for.

Would Cypress Hill or The Coup fit anywhere? If so, where? If Tangerine Dream (and Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Andreas Vollenweider) have no place here, but Cypress Hill and/or The Coup do, I'll pick that one.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

^Tangerine dream=electro? Vangelis=Ambient. Just try and pick something as close as you can....Stuff like dub can be psychedelic, techy, flat out organic; so if you like psydub, hit dub...If you like tech dub, hit dub. Etc.

I chose psytrance, hard trance, hardstyle, ambient, IDM and something else I can't remember.

Hang

Progressive House
Progressive Techno (I don't actually know the difference between Progressive House and Progressive Techno, but I like a lot of the mixes and productions that I've heard that have come under the progressive label. ie. Digweed, Sasha, Prdyz, James Zabielia, Max Graham, Jaytech, Paolo Mojo, Nic Fanciulli.)

Electro House (The genre that got big here just after I started getting into clubbing, so naturally I have listened to a lot and still seek it out from time to time. epic electro thread)

Funky House, Deep House (been to a couple of nights and enjoyed it.)

Big Beat (I've always liked the Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Crystal Method, even if they were a few years before my time - well my EDM / clubbing time.)
Breaks (Plump Djs, Stanton Warriors... that's about all I know in the world of breaks, but like it nonetheless.)

^When in doubt- ambient. ;)

ebola? said:
Which genre should I insert Skinny Puppy into? ;)
ah swilow, you forgot a 'shit' category. :\ :D

a public poll might have been fun here. too late now though. :(

i chose a smattering of various techno/electro/house.

It was hard to choose just a few! My selections we're mostly 2/2 jungle/dubstep/grime type but I also like loads of techno as well as loads of really laid back chillout/ambient stuff. Also like a good bit of hardcore/gabber/breakcore as well. There's nights on around here that just have kind of a mashup of everything I like really and don't stick too heavily to 1 genre so I'm well catered for.

felix said:
ah swilow, you forgot a 'shit' category. :\ :D

No, hard house is there. ;)

a public poll might have been fun here. too late now though. :(

i chose a smattering of various techno/electro/house.

Do you mean a poll where people see the answers? I thought about that, but not very much obviously....

Ebola, I knew you would mention the lack of industrial! I wish I knew more of the genre myself and would have included some.

^ yep, that's what i mean.

hey! i chose hard house! :X

Anything that is so good I cannot stop dancing. Generally, this tends to be Dnb, Breaks, electro and anything funky/evil. Turn up the funk and I will dance. Turn up the evil, I will dance. Turn up both the funk and the evil and watch out.... I'm gonna give myself a hernia.

swillo said:
^When in doubt- ambient.

I'm off to jar some Brian Eno fans. *cackles*

Ebola, I knew you would mention the lack of industrial! I wish I knew more of the genre myself and would have included some.

Even I can't track the sub-genres. At its fringes, industrial will blend into music concrete, metal, psytrance, or synth-pop, depending on where you wander around from the center.

wonder said:
Turn up the evil, I will dance.

Evil set to maximum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyHj4nu8RMU

ebola

Great poll options i had trouble choosing but I love electro house. Benassi and Boyz Noize are my favs.

Sebastian
Justice
Soulwax
Kissy Sell Out
Busy P
Mehdi
Tiga
Steve Aoki
Herve
Switch
The Count & Sinden
Fake Blood
Crookers
Digitalism
Boys Noize
etc etc etc

Grimey, Urban, Glitchy, Breaky, Synthy, Cosmic............ ELECTRO!!!!