• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

What's the last MOVIE you watched? v 3.0

Impacto Profundo said:
lollerskates!

I was being 100% serious. Denzel is the absolute best there is. King Kong ain't got shit on him.

Edit (must elaborate): Every movie I've seen this man in he has performed brilliantly. When he performs, he is no longer Denzel Washington, he IS the character he plays. I believe he can do this better than anyone I've ever seen. Every character I've seen him play I can connect with as if they are a real person. When (Denzel character) gets pissed, I get pissed. When (Denzel character) gets sad, I get sad. And so on, and so on. He is the ultimate actor. I'm not saying every movie he's been in has been great, but he, personally, has performed to perfection in all of them (that I've seen.) He should have recieved the Best Actor award for American Gangster, Man On Fire, Manchurian Candidate, John Q, Remember The Titans, among others. Nobody could have played those roles better than Denzel. Maybe my initial statement of "the greatest actor to ever live" was a little over the top, but he is definitely the greatest actor that I've seen.

Last edited:
should have?

do you honestly think his american gangster performance was better than daniel day lewis in there will be blood?

do you think his man on fire performance was better than jamie foxx in ray?

do you think his john q performance was better than adrien brody in the pianist?

he surely is a great actor - he totally deserved his nod for training day in my opinion - but some of those performances were just denzel being denzel.

alasdair

^ SERIOUSLY, thank you for that.

Denzel is really the most overrated, and blindly worshiped actor that there ever was ... but no one asked my opinion ;)

alasdairm said:
should have?

do you honestly think his american gangster performance was better than daniel day lewis in there will be blood?

do you think his man on fire performance was better than jamie foxx in ray?

do you think his john q performance was better than adrien brody in the pianist?

he surely is a great actor - he totally deserved his nod for training day in my opinion - but some of those performances were just denzel being denzel.

alasdair

To be honest, I haven't seen any of those movies. But I think Denzel was nothing short of great in all the movies I listed. So if anything, the debate would be which actor was greater.

Oh, and I don't think greatness can be overrated. Just Denzel being Denzel? I'll take that over any actor any day.

^ but, in fairness, you said he should have got the best actor oscars for those performances. well, that means in your opinion, his performances were better than those i listed (each of which took the awards those years).

how can you compare them - i.e. "the debate would be which actor was greater" - if you haven't seen them?

alasdair

the thing with denzel is, as alasdairm pointed out, he's pretty much the same character in all of his roles. his range as demonstrated is extremely limited. a good and versatile actor is one who can perform at a greater range.

i don't agree with ali's comment about densel's oscar nod in "training day". i reckon that's like giving mel gibson an oscar for lethal weapon.

i don't not like what the guy's does, but he can hardly be considered great by any stretch of the imagination. i would really like to see him in a challenging role, rather than his badass schtick again.

Impacto Profundo said:
i don't agree with ali's comment about densel's oscar nod in "training day". i reckon that's like giving mel gibson an oscar for lethal weapon.
which of the '02 nominations do you think was better?

alasdair

training day was 01.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Winner:
Training Day (2001) - Denzel Washington

Other Nominees:
Ali (2001) - Will Smith (I)
Beautiful Mind, A (2001) - Russell Crowe
I Am Sam (2001) - Sean Penn (I)
In the Bedroom (2001) - Tom Wilkinson (I)

Hmmm... well they're all better actors. Yes, even Will Smith.

but the oscar ceremony during which he won his oscar was the '02 oscars :)

that minor pedantry aside, i agree that some of those guys are better actors but the oscar does not award acting - it's an award for a specific performance. do you think any of those performances were better than denzel in training day? i think the only one which has a claim is tom wilkinson's that year...

that's why i say he deserved his oscar that year.

alasdair

russel crowe and sean penn both put in fantastic work imo. will was as good at least.

drinky time! :D

i am watching season two of "this american life"

it is a docu series on showtime based on the pbr radio show of the same name.

it is wonderful, and had to wipe some tears in a few episodes.

quoting the first review on imdb..
Being a fan of NPR's "This American Life" for so many years, I couldn't wait to see this show from the moment I heard about it. Just like the radio show, the television series finds fascination in the mundane, tells the stories that might otherwise never be told. And with each story, perhaps, you might gain a little insight into what makes different people tick.

Ira Glass's narration is always just enough, never overbearing, and the presentation is visually very artistic. The soundtrack accompanying the narration and interviews is just as fitting as it is on the radio show, and it really just makes a great transition from radio to television.

If you enjoy creative documentary-style storytelling, this is certainly a show you'll enjoy.

tonight we watched forbidden kingdom and then shawn of the dead. good drinking films for this mate and me

mr_brooks.jpg

Pretty decent thriller and the only movie I've seen Dane Cook in that didn't suck. A little anti-climatic, though.

wog.jpg

The remake of Herschel Gordon Lewis' campy classic "The Wizard of Gore". There are so many things wrong with this movie that I don't know where to begin.

The best thing about the movie is Crispin Glover. He plays his usual batshit crazy self, and it's awesome. He is a wonder to behold. Then you have Brad Douriff who is only slightly less insane than Glover. Finally there is Jeffrey Combs who looks more like Rob Zombie. The bug-eyed kid from "After Dark" also has a pretty good role in the film. Everything else about the movie was pretty lame... including the couple naked Suicide Girls and the distinct lack of gore.

The problem with remaking HGL films is that the source material is SO bad it's actually really good. You can tell that his movies, like Blood Feast, 2000 Maniacs and the original Wizard of Gore, were made with a minimum amount of effort put into things like set design, acting, writing, special effects and all the other pesky bits that go into film production. So when someone actually makes an effort, as the people behind the remake seemed to do, it comes off as trying to be too serious. Instead of being a fun piece of schlock, all you end up with is a piece of schlock.

If you like Crispin Glover, or are just looking for a mindless bit of entertainment for the evening... by all means give it a look. Just don't set your expectations too high.

Man, I guess I was the only one who loved Broken Flowers. I didn't mind the pace. I agree that it was slow but it was kind of like a breezy walk on a lazy Sunday type of slow to me. Sometimes it's nice when they slow down a movie and sometimes the result is boredom. In this one I felt the former.

DM: I love This American Life, the radio version. I knew they made a show out of this but have yet to see it. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I loved Broken Flowers. It's not my favorite Jarmusch film, but it's certainly one of his most approachable. I love how he paces his films. His lingering shots and long scenes help draw some really impressive performances from his actors.

^ I didn't find the lingering scenes as providing a vehicle for impressive performances. I thought Murray was pretty dull in this one and I typically always love his work. What other films are by Jarmusch, I am not familiar with him at all.

He also did Dead Man, Down by Law, Ghost Dog, Stranger than Paradise, Night on Earth, Coffee and Cigarettes... and a few more that I haven't seen.

I'm slightly biased about his movies, because he's a hometown boy.

^ I have never seen any of those and have only heard of Coffee and Cigarettes. I remember wanting to see it but never did, perhaps I should take a look at it. I'm not making any judgments about Jarmusch though, just didn't care for Broken Flowers.

I saw Night On Earth many years ago.

I remember the Rosie Perez character making me LOL in it. WTF happened to her?. :\