• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Hash oil and the ISOMERIZER machine that made it

NoExpert

Bluelighter
Back in the 80's, a buddy of mine had a machine called an Isomerizer.
He would grow some weed, hidden away somewhere on 20+ rural acres of his parents' property. After harvesting, and separating the buds, he would break up all the leaves, stems, etc. and store it away in a freezer for later. 'Later' was whenever the buds ran out, so when 'later' came around annually, he would pull out the Isomerizer(which he purchased via mailorder in the late 70's), and put it to work! I will try to include a picture of one that I just found on another website, if possible. This machine looks like some special effect piece you'd see in a bad, b-rate 70's sci-fi movie, but it worked, and it was AWESOME at what it did. As I remember, you'd put grain alcohol in the bottom basin, hanging above that was a basket with a screen bottom that contained the otherwise unusable leaves and stems. All that sat inside of a cylinder, covered by a tall lid that was shaped like some funky electrode, or electrical insulator with fins circling around it. There was a light bulb built inside this machine, at the very bottom which acted as a heat source to slowly evaporate the grain alcohol, which rose to the top as a vapor, then condensed onto the inside area of the funky cooling fins, then the droplets would drop down through the basket containing the weed material, somehow extracting the thc from the weed, which then collected in a little pan. This took like 2 or 3 days of running the machine constantly. After it was finished, you had a pan filled with black, sticky, extremely potent hash oil that was retrieved from useless, throwaway debris! I was smoked by all of us through a home-made glass pipe
which was melted at the end, forming a ball with a small hole in it, where the hash oil would be added using the tip of a dart. We then slowly heated the glass pipe with a propane torch(with care), and received the smoke. This stuff would stone you up in just a few small hits, and it tasted and smelled like nothing else. I was fortunate enough to be able to partake in this every year, for about a decade, til my buddy(who was/is 10 years older than I) grew out of partying when he hit his late 30's.
I thought I'd add this in hopes of someone else remembering the wonderful, recycling qualities of the Isomerizer, a machine that seemingly hasn't been produced or sold for a long time. I occasionally see a blog(elsewhere) where someone will ask what an Isomerizer is/was, and then some know it all will claim that he had heard of one, and it didn't work, or some-such non-sense. It was based on simple solvent extraction processes that are used everyday to create your 5x, 10x, etc. extractions, so it is just common sense that it would work.
So if you are lucky enough to get hold of one of these from some old-schooler, you will soon be creating some ass-kicking home hash oil, that will
recycle your stems/leaf, and amaze your budz!;)

That sounds amazing :)

One of the first things that went through my head though was "Hmm, screw stems and leaves I want to do this with potent buds and get a super potent hash oil =D"

Anyway, im off to google :D

yeah they worked great ............... built an extraction unit myself , from lab ware , worked great on leaves ..............even better on buds (nl5 & skunk #1)..................15 years ago ..........got narced out by a "good friend" but they only found my huge grow room , all processing equipment was elsewhere...............you really need to do some chemistry homework , to take it from tar to honey oil ( the real DEAL ) but that involves more dangerous ( ether and sulphuric acid ) but the results are incredible..................oh the good old days , to scared to grow again , don't think they'll be "so" kind again so I just fantasize about the good old daze , and just have to pay the exorbitant prices of today , just to smoke inferior weed :(

Sorry for the thread necromancy here, but I was gonna put up a new post and found this via search.

So my dad was telling me about these things, and I figured he was just talking shit. I mean he's still on about the strychnine in the acid he took and everything I say can't change his mind, so I figured when he told me about some mad scientist contraption (he know zip about chemistry) that took weed and made an 'opium-looking' substance that he calls 'black african' that he was just mixing his shit up. But these machines seem rather fascinating.

Why are they no longer made?

And is a regular solvent extraction going to yield a different product than an isomerizer? He claims the heat made more of the cannabinoids 'active' or something, but like I said, he doesn't really know chem.

So bottom line any point to using one of these? As in advantages over a solvent extraction?

I will be experimenting with a legit Thai Power Isomerizer very soon. Isomerizer = awesome because not only are you going to end up with ~80%+ product, but the CBD is magically (chemically) transformed into THC. Crazy potent, and almost purely THC!

Way back when, indica herb was considered to give a mediocre high (because of the lower THC:CBD ratio), while sativa was considered to give a good high (because it has a much higher THC:CBD ratio). It used to be that nobody wanted to get stoned - everybody wanted to get HIGH. Isomerizer reduces stoning and increases highness.

I'll be sure to make a full report on how the Isomerizing goes.

psychedelicious said:
I will be experimenting with a legit Thai Power Isomerizer very soon. Isomerizer = awesome because not only are you going to end up with ~80%+ product, but the CBD is magically (chemically) transformed into THC. Crazy potent, and almost purely THC!

Way back when, indica herb was considered to give a mediocre high (because of the lower THC:CBD ratio), while sativa was considered to give a good high (because it has a much higher THC:CBD ratio). It used to be that nobody wanted to get stoned - everybody wanted to get HIGH. Isomerizer reduces stoning and increases highness.

Excellent, that makes perfect sense. A bit refreshing to see my dad still has spots where his memory actually works...

psychedelicious said:

please do. i love this thread so much already. i once saw a machine that i ws told removed oil from block, you could set it so it extracted 20%, 30% etc as you wished.

it was about 36'' high and a good 12'' kind of square, like some sort of heater.

could this have been an isomerizer?

it was a long time ago, t& hose boys did love to joke.

jamaica0535 said:
that is awsome...

if i ever start investing in some basic lab equipment, a fractional distillation setup and a soxhlet extractor are high up on the list...

Ehh, scientific glassware tends to be ungodly expensive, especially for anything that's got a ground glass joint on it. Though it's still not as much a ripoff as getting something like a roor.

Also there really is no need to soxhlet weed, I'm sure after the first pass of solvent nearly all of the cannabinoids will have been extracted.

Ylide said:
Ehh, scientific glassware tends to be ungodly expensive, especially for anything that's got a ground glass joint on it. Though it's still not as much a ripoff as getting something like a roor.

Also there really is no need to soxhlet weed, I'm sure after the first pass of solvent nearly all of the cannabinoids will have been extracted.

i know, and have done small scale BHO extractions but i like this... i checked and unless your looking to get a really large capacity a 50ml-200ml one will run between 200-300 dollars...

^ yeah I checked prices, too, lol. 200 mL is large enough to do 100 gram batches. not too shabby.

psychedelicious said:
^ yeah I checked prices, too, lol. 200 mL is large enough to do 100 gram batches. not too shabby.

yea, a 200ml would probably be plenty for anyone wanting to do this...

seems like a more complicated version of qwiso.
and cant you put buds in a low heat over for 15 minutes or something to convert the rest of CBD to THC?

cant you put buds in a low heat over for 15 minutes or something to convert the rest of CBD to THC?
if heat could convert id think itd be used more often by the 100% sativa seekers
user looking for something with sleep inducing properties might want to produce a crop that has high levels of CBD.

Another user looking for a more energetic stone will want to grow a strain that has high levels of THC and low levels of CBD. In general, Cannabis sativa has lower levels of CBD and higher levels of THC. Cannabis indica has higher amounts of CBD and lower amounts of THC than sativa. See marijuana strains.
http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mj028.htm