• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Poppy tea/morphine half-life

mitragyna

Bluelighter
Sorry for another poppy tea thread, but this is something that has been running through my head for a while now. I was gonna post it in the poppy tea mega-thread but I figured I'd get a better answer here.

Anyways, poppy tea and poppy seed tea seem to give a high which lasts almost all day. From what I've read, Morphine is the most active chemical in the tea. Codeine is also present in small amounts. These seems to give poppy tea it's psychoactivity. I don't think the other Opiates such as Thebaine and Papaverine contribute a whole lot to the high (maybe besides a slight stimulant effects).

So if Morphine is the major active and it's half life is 2-3 hours, why the hell does Poppy tea's high last so much longer then say oral Morphine?

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'd like to dose my Suboxone appropriately. I know you don't have to wait too long after oral Morphine, but I feel that I have to wait much longer after poppy tea because the high lasts so much longer.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I can't answer your question because I've always wondered the same darn thing. Sometimes, if i have a damn good dose of seed tea, I wake high the next morning- 18 hours after the dose. Not so much with pods but with poppy tea, it last such a long time. That's one thing i like about it. There must be a reason why seed tea last so long but i can't figure it out. Might have something to do with how we metablize it.

Someone probably will know

RPG

^^
It's funny you say that because I wake up high almost every morning after drinking PST. It's actually quite pleasant!:)

i don't know any facts about it, but i can imagine that the reason for its quite long duration is the slow "extraction" of morphine by your intestines.
the poppy material consists nearly exclusively of fibers which are non-digestable and the morphine only slowly dissociates from them while the stuff is passing the colon.

i think, just like a 12 hour extended-release tablet :)

^ I think this is correct. Depending on how you make the pod tea, it might have some particulate matter which contains morphine and will release once the organic material breaks down a little. That stuff churning through your guts, takes a little time to get into your bloodstream (hours probably).

The initial high hits quite quickly though it keeps building and building and building...

You know that makes total sense!!! Now i can't wait to make my big batch tomorrow. But after that don't know what I'm gonna do. Can't afford to buy seeds everyday. Ugh, it's a never ending cycle.

Like tonight, i had a weak batch and i still had a little bit of sub in my system and i feel extremely comfortable-- not high but comfortable. I'm not rocking back and forth anymore, my legs aren't aching, and the RLS is gone. I hope the tea lasts for a while. I just took some Trams to enhance it.

I gotta check the Farmers market for Bulk seeds, someone mentioned that in a thread once. I can't find anywhere where i live that sells bulk seeds but i can find huge bottles of seeds.

RPG

I would of thought stomach acid would break down and dissolve the alkaloids into solution fairly quickly, but am merely speculating.

My guess would go towards the huge amount of related alkaloids fighting for the same metabolic and elimination pathways and enzymes, thus significantly slowing down absorption and elimination. I know next to nothing about opiate pharmacology and the pathways they go through though.

I think thebaine and moreso it's metabolite oripavine plays a role and explains PST's long half life

morphiquet said:
i don't know any facts about it, but i can imagine that the reason for its quite long duration is the slow "extraction" of morphine by your intestines.
the poppy material consists nearly exclusively of fibers which are non-digestable and the morphine only slowly dissociates from them while the stuff is passing the colon.

Yeah but what about poppy seed tea? Because it seems to last just as long and poppy pod tea IMO. The seed tea is just plain liquid so there would be no "slow-release fibers".

BingeBoy said:
I think thebaine and moreso it's metabolite oripavine plays a role and explains PST's long half life
I didn't think thebaine had much effect besides an uncomfortable stimulant feel. I'm just curious how thebaine or oripavine could extend the "high". BTW I'm not saying you're wrong at all I'm just wondering how this would occur...

Talking out of pure speculation here:

Could something else in the PPT be inhibiting the break down of morphine by the liver, thus extending the high?

thebaine is a stimulant does anybody know its mechanism of action? Is it peripheral or central?

I would agree in speculation and experience that the fiber mass may delay the onset of the PPT but certainly has no bearing on the PST. I've found over time that the PST is much much stronger with fewer untoward effects and much more pleasant taste. This probably subjective but I thought I'd share. As for the extended high, I would have to semi agree with rangrz. I think there is buried somewhere in the alkaloid melange a 2nd pass potentiator (for lack of a better term). It may not even be an alkaloid. Also, keep in mind, when you account for the morphine and the codeine and then throw in the trace amounts of other opiates you are probably popping a hell of a lot more dope than you think you are. I always gently heat my PST with vinegar after the wash in an attempt to create some sort of bathtub heroin metabolite. Basically I've thrown a whole bunch of things that I've read and sort of understood together, made sure it wasn't (more) dangerous, and then did it. By comparison it seems to get me a hell of a lot higher on the same quantity, although everyone knows there are many more variables than weight when making PST. I use 1 kilo per batch so I figure there is a ton of alkaloids. I have been potentiating lately with some orphenadrine (as an aside, substance not present in my past comparisons). Well, I've been pleasantly digressing as the tea has been slowly taking hold as I've been writing this. Anyway, to sum it up, there must be something in the tea!!
lol

Gaian Planes said:
thebaine is a stimulant does anybody know its mechanism of action? Is it peripheral or central?

it's a pro drug for oripavin which is 4-5 times stronger than morphine, it's a convulsant on itself and has stimulant properties , couple this with an average latex content of 3-4 percents and you realise oripavine's role is just as big as morphins , takes 4 hours for thebaine to metabolize though thats why the full ffects of pst creep up on you slowly but have staying power

One theory:

Many opiates bind to receptors in the gut and slow digestion. Due to the slower digestion, the morphine sits in your stomach all day slowly getting into your bloodstream.

quite a bit of Morphine is broken down into Morphine-6-gluconoride which is just as strong as morphine (if not stronger), and lasts longer than morphine, so that could be why the poppy seeds last so long. Or maybe all the different chemicals in poppy seed tea inhibit the metabolism of morphine, so it lastsa a lot longer in your blood than if just taking morphine along. Just a guess.

Normally, pst hits me in 30 minutes and I can feel it for about 6 hours. I just drank some 3 hours ago and it is just now hitting me...I always take it on an empty stomach. I have a more "stimulant" feeling than I normally do. So, it makes me think that it may be the thebaine that has produces the longer effects so maybe this batch probably contains more thebaine than morphine. Just an observation, but thought I would share. Just took a Xanax to take the edge off.

I have taken morphine and pod tea and never given any thought to the difference in duration. But it really is quite drastic. I'll just set here and let my mind be blown for a minute.

Yeah, I actually researched this early on in my Dragon riding career. The alkaloids are tied up in an acrylic substance, and it takes time for your digestive system to break down this acrylic to get at the alkaloids...

12 hours is not unusual fo tea, eighteen if you eat the fiber...

Does any know anything about the acrylic substance dragonrider mentioned? Can't find any information about it.

I always assumed enzyme inhibition was responsible for the extremely long duration of effect of poppy straw tea, but if that was the case the half life of some other drugs would be increased as well.

Any other ideas?