Bluelight

Thread: Poppy tea/morphine half-life

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Collapse Details
    Poppy tea/morphine half-life 
    #1
    Question
    Sorry for another poppy tea thread, but this is something that has been running through my head for a while now. I was gonna post it in the poppy tea mega-thread but I figured I'd get a better answer here.

    Anyways, poppy tea and poppy seed tea seem to give a high which lasts almost all day. From what I've read, Morphine is the most active chemical in the tea. Codeine is also present in small amounts. These seems to give poppy tea it's psychoactivity. I don't think the other Opiates such as Thebaine and Papaverine contribute a whole lot to the high (maybe besides a slight stimulant effects).

    So if Morphine is the major active and it's half life is 2-3 hours, why the hell does Poppy tea's high last so much longer then say oral Morphine?

    One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'd like to dose my Suboxone appropriately. I know you don't have to wait too long after oral Morphine, but I feel that I have to wait much longer after poppy tea because the high lasts so much longer.

    Thanks in advance for your replies.
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    I can't answer your question because I've always wondered the same darn thing. Sometimes, if i have a damn good dose of seed tea, I wake high the next morning- 18 hours after the dose. Not so much with pods but with poppy tea, it last such a long time. That's one thing i like about it. There must be a reason why seed tea last so long but i can't figure it out. Might have something to do with how we metablize it.

    Someone probably will know

    RPG
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    ^^
    It's funny you say that because I wake up high almost every morning after drinking PST. It's actually quite pleasant!
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    i don't know any facts about it, but i can imagine that the reason for its quite long duration is the slow "extraction" of morphine by your intestines.
    the poppy material consists nearly exclusively of fibers which are non-digestable and the morphine only slowly dissociates from them while the stuff is passing the colon.

    i think, just like a 12 hour extended-release tablet
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Ex-Bluelighter Gaian Planes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ATL/asheville
    Posts
    11,144
    ^ I think this is correct. Depending on how you make the pod tea, it might have some particulate matter which contains morphine and will release once the organic material breaks down a little. That stuff churning through your guts, takes a little time to get into your bloodstream (hours probably).

    The initial high hits quite quickly though it keeps building and building and building...
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    You know that makes total sense!!! Now i can't wait to make my big batch tomorrow. But after that don't know what I'm gonna do. Can't afford to buy seeds everyday. Ugh, it's a never ending cycle.

    Like tonight, i had a weak batch and i still had a little bit of sub in my system and i feel extremely comfortable-- not high but comfortable. I'm not rocking back and forth anymore, my legs aren't aching, and the RLS is gone. I hope the tea lasts for a while. I just took some Trams to enhance it.

    I gotta check the Farmers market for Bulk seeds, someone mentioned that in a thread once. I can't find anywhere where i live that sells bulk seeds but i can find huge bottles of seeds.

    RPG
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    I would of thought stomach acid would break down and dissolve the alkaloids into solution fairly quickly, but am merely speculating.

    My guess would go towards the huge amount of related alkaloids fighting for the same metabolic and elimination pathways and enzymes, thus significantly slowing down absorption and elimination. I know next to nothing about opiate pharmacology and the pathways they go through though.
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Bluelight Crew BingeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Isolated
    Posts
    6,427
    I think thebaine and moreso it's metabolite oripavine plays a role and explains PST's long half life
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiquet
    i don't know any facts about it, but i can imagine that the reason for its quite long duration is the slow "extraction" of morphine by your intestines.
    the poppy material consists nearly exclusively of fibers which are non-digestable and the morphine only slowly dissociates from them while the stuff is passing the colon.

    i think, just like a 12 hour extended-release tablet
    Yeah but what about poppy seed tea? Because it seems to last just as long and poppy pod tea IMO. The seed tea is just plain liquid so there would be no "slow-release fibers".
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BingeBoy
    I think thebaine and moreso it's metabolite oripavine plays a role and explains PST's long half life
    I didn't think thebaine had much effect besides an uncomfortable stimulant feel. I'm just curious how thebaine or oripavine could extend the "high". BTW I'm not saying you're wrong at all I'm just wondering how this would occur...
     

  11. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Bluelighter rangrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada eh, we get milk in bags.
    Posts
    11,950
    Talking out of pure speculation here:

    Could something else in the PPT be inhibiting the break down of morphine by the liver, thus extending the high?
     

  12. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Ex-Bluelighter Gaian Planes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ATL/asheville
    Posts
    11,144
    thebaine is a stimulant does anybody know its mechanism of action? Is it peripheral or central?
     

  13. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    I would agree in speculation and experience that the fiber mass may delay the onset of the PPT but certainly has no bearing on the PST. I've found over time that the PST is much much stronger with fewer untoward effects and much more pleasant taste. This probably subjective but I thought I'd share. As for the extended high, I would have to semi agree with rangrz. I think there is buried somewhere in the alkaloid melange a 2nd pass potentiator (for lack of a better term). It may not even be an alkaloid. Also, keep in mind, when you account for the morphine and the codeine and then throw in the trace amounts of other opiates you are probably popping a hell of a lot more dope than you think you are. I always gently heat my PST with vinegar after the wash in an attempt to create some sort of bathtub heroin metabolite. Basically I've thrown a whole bunch of things that I've read and sort of understood together, made sure it wasn't (more) dangerous, and then did it. By comparison it seems to get me a hell of a lot higher on the same quantity, although everyone knows there are many more variables than weight when making PST. I use 1 kilo per batch so I figure there is a ton of alkaloids. I have been potentiating lately with some orphenadrine (as an aside, substance not present in my past comparisons). Well, I've been pleasantly digressing as the tea has been slowly taking hold as I've been writing this. Anyway, to sum it up, there must be something in the tea!!
    lol
     

  14. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Bluelight Crew BingeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Isolated
    Posts
    6,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaian Planes
    thebaine is a stimulant does anybody know its mechanism of action? Is it peripheral or central?
    it's a pro drug for oripavin which is 4-5 times stronger than morphine, it's a convulsant on itself and has stimulant properties , couple this with an average latex content of 3-4 percents and you realise oripavine's role is just as big as morphins , takes 4 hours for thebaine to metabolize though thats why the full ffects of pst creep up on you slowly but have staying power
     

  15. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    One theory:

    Many opiates bind to receptors in the gut and slow digestion. Due to the slower digestion, the morphine sits in your stomach all day slowly getting into your bloodstream.
     

  16. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Bluelighter
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    533
    quite a bit of Morphine is broken down into Morphine-6-gluconoride which is just as strong as morphine (if not stronger), and lasts longer than morphine, so that could be why the poppy seeds last so long. Or maybe all the different chemicals in poppy seed tea inhibit the metabolism of morphine, so it lastsa a lot longer in your blood than if just taking morphine along. Just a guess.
     

  17. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Normally, pst hits me in 30 minutes and I can feel it for about 6 hours. I just drank some 3 hours ago and it is just now hitting me...I always take it on an empty stomach. I have a more "stimulant" feeling than I normally do. So, it makes me think that it may be the thebaine that has produces the longer effects so maybe this batch probably contains more thebaine than morphine. Just an observation, but thought I would share. Just took a Xanax to take the edge off.
     

  18. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    I have taken morphine and pod tea and never given any thought to the difference in duration. But it really is quite drastic. I'll just set here and let my mind be blown for a minute.
     

  19. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiquet View Post
    i don't know any facts about it, but i can imagine that the reason for its quite long duration is the slow "extraction" of morphine by your intestines.
    the poppy material consists nearly exclusively of fibers which are non-digestable and the morphine only slowly dissociates from them while the stuff is passing the colon.

    i think, just like a 12 hour extended-release tablet
    Yeah, I actually researched this early on in my Dragon riding career. The alkaloids are tied up in an acrylic substance, and it takes time for your digestive system to break down this acrylic to get at the alkaloids...

    12 hours is not unusual fo tea, eighteen if you eat the fiber...
     

  20. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Does any know anything about the acrylic substance dragonrider mentioned? Can't find any information about it.

    I always assumed enzyme inhibition was responsible for the extremely long duration of effect of poppy straw tea, but if that was the case the half life of some other drugs would be increased as well.

    Any other ideas?
     

  21. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Senior Moderator
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Other Drugs
    Philosophy & Spirituality
    sekio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    hhohho
    Posts
    13,910
    The "acrylic substance" I bet is latex.

    I think PST's long duration is probably due to competitive enzyme inhibition, theres a lot of diverse alkaloids in PST...
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules
    Please read the links above or PM me if I lock your post. R.I.P. F28
     

  22. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Moderator
    Sex Love & Relationships
    pofacedhoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    reason 7
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by sekio View Post
    The "acrylic substance" I bet is latex.

    I think PST's long duration is probably due to competitive enzyme inhibition, theres a lot of diverse alkaloids in PST...
    this

    opium lacks the duration also when smoked IME
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •