• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cheratussin AC: Legal codeine in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

customconcern

Greenlighter
So I recently discovered Cheratussin AC is legal OTC, per request (behind the counter) , and usually from indie pharmacies.

Per the label of the bottle:

"Under Federal law, Cheratussin AC is available without a prescription. Certain state laws may differ".

I'm sure this is old news, but to anyone needing the proverbial "fix", it's a great, great thing. To all others, flame away I suppose.

Cheers.

the law for codeine I believe is: If its a syrup its sched.5, if its up to 60mg with apap its sched. 3 and more than 60mg per pill or no apap its schedule 2.

Too many doses said:
the law for codeine I believe is: If its a syrup its sched.5, if its up to 60mg with apap its sched. 3 and more than 60mg per pill or no apap its schedule 2.

Yes, and Schedule C-V drugs are only available with a prescription.

So whats up with this 'per request' over the counter Codeine cough medicine Cheratussin AC? I know what it is but I've never heard of a Codeine preparation cough syrup that is obtainable OTC.

So please expand...

this is so freaking basic: SCHEDULE 5 (not schedule C-5, that's repititive) MEDICATIONS APPROVED FOR OTC SALE MAY BE SOLD OVER THE COUNTER.

you're required to sign a book and you're limited in how many you may purchase per year.

State laws may make this unavailable though, but federal law makes this legal.

When I was on the East Coast last fall I managed to get it twice in two states on my first try. Not sure what your problem is.

Maybe try covering up your track marks, take off your grateful dead t-shirt, and make sure your eyes aren't bloodshot. ;)

Ham-milton said:
SCHEDULE 5 (not schedule C-5, that's repititive) MEDICATIONS APPROVED FOR OTC SALE MAY BE SOLD OVER THE COUNTER.

Are there limitations to what schedule 5 drugs can be dispensed over the counter? Considering Lyrica is a schedule 5 drug, could it be sold over the counter if requested because of nerve pain? I'm not looking to obtain Lyrica, just curious.

I tested this theoy yesterday and bought a bottle at my local drug store. Then called the major ones. Walmart here has it, but not cvs. All the little pharmies have it and at one the pharmicist said you can also get perigoric this way.

Oh, I'm in Ms.

Whats in the stuff anyway? Hell, I got it just to see if I could.

Ham-milton said:
When I was on the East Coast last fall I managed to get it twice in two states on my first try. Not sure what your problem is.

Maybe try covering up your track marks, take off your grateful dead t-shirt, and make sure your eyes aren't bloodshot. ;)

Ham-milton is my #1 favorite poster on Bluelight.
bahahahahahahaha!

Please post more.

K'd-OUT-in-AZ said:
Are there limitations to what schedule 5 drugs can be dispensed over the counter? Considering Lyrica is a schedule 5 drug, could it be sold over the counter if requested because of nerve pain? I'm not looking to obtain Lyrica, just curious.

no like I said, only meds that have an FDA approved formulation for OTC sale can be. Codeine is one that happens to have an approved OTC formulation.

not sure that there are any others, actually.

Ham-milton said:

So Ham,
If I clean up and hide all my tract marks and shit I can walk into Walgreens and get some Codine cough syrup?
Hmm I'm gonna have to try that=D

Hi folks,

I just happened to stumble on this thread and sounds pretty interesting...But...all seems to be good to be true on this one...

It actually depends on the state...Certain states may have different laws on despensing codeine without a script.

Here in California for example, they do not allow this. Some states they do, but they make you sign some form to keep track of you on how much you get.

Someone told me that you can get Robitussin AC without a script in New York, but thats all changed now.

My belief, is that the big cities like LA and New York will NOT despense codeine cough syrup OTC....Its the more smaller type towns that will actually give it to you behind a counter and make you sign for it...

I thought paregoric was a schedule III substance bc that would be a great pickup for not needing an rx. In case i missed it, do you know what the amount of codeine is available in this over the counter product?

10 ML contains 20 mg codiene with 100 mg of Guiffesein (however you spell that). Anyone know a ceilin g dose of that G... stuff?

any junkie i know whos tracked down sure as hell aint wasting time on codeine cough syrup from what i know, hows that work out?

Ham-milton said:
if they're withdrawing, yes they will.

Thats certainly correct.

10 ML contains 20 mg codiene with 100 mg of Guiffesein (however you spell that). Anyone know a ceilin g dose of that G... stuff?

Actually Cheratussin AC Syrup contains 10mg of codeine phosphate & 100mg of guaifenesin available in 16 fl. oz. bottles.

You shouldn't exceed 2400mg of 'Guaifenesin' within a 24 hour period or you run the risk of becoming really sick like vomiting, etc. (According to drugs.com)

So unless you want to run the risk of feeling real sick, you won't be able to consume over 240mg of Codeine (per day).

As a former junkie, when looking to get down thats about as worthless as a couple 5/500mg Vicodin tablets but when your withdrawing, it sure beats nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.