• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cheratussin AC: Legal codeine in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is legal to do in New Jersey. You have to sign for it & a lot of the time scan your ID.

Tips:

1. You won't find it at most corporate chain pharmacies so just skip trying. Mom & Pops are the way to go.

2. Have a neat appearance & a cough (they will actually look)

3. Try getting one of the younger pharmacy techs. to give it to you. They might not know the rules as well.

4. Most importantly, according to law the pharmacist must verbally evaluate you to decide if you 'need it' or not. The definition of need it is: "You have tried 2 other OTC cough suppressants that have not worked or you do not respond well to additional agents in said cough suppressants."

5. So basically, you want to know a couple other cough meds and the reasons they don't work/you can't take them.

Exactly, I tell them that I have bronchitis and dextromethorphan does nothing for the tickle in my throat, and for good measure I usually buy a bag of cough drops with it.

If anyone in michigan has had luck please let me know. Ive been prescribed it by a doc before but if you can get it here then it would save the co-pay of going to the doctor for a script when im sick

no luck in Michigan bro. i've tried calling different cvs', walgreens, walmart, rite aid, and a few mom and pop shops with no luck.
All said u need a script.

As everyone from NC has already said it works here. I've done it in the Charlotte area, the Asheville area and wilmington. All had no problem at all and I do it all the time. Everyone's right about the smaller pharmacies doing it, I just go in there with a rusty voice and deep cough and it works perfectly. 4o Oz bottles for ~13.00

^damn. we can talk about otc prices, right? because, fatstep, in ohio that same bottle cost between 2-6 dollars, depending on the pharmacy.

^damn. we can talk about otc prices, right? because, fatstep, in ohio that same bottle cost between 2-6 dollars, depending on the pharmacy.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the 4oz bottle, because that's like $4 here, the 40 is a fucking huge bottle of cough syrup like a foot tall

^you identified my mistake. i think it had something to do with you using a o as 0 though. damn, that is 10X more. i always just ask for a bottle. i wish they would ask me if i wanted the 4 or 40oz., haha.

Just thought Id chime in with my experience.
I live in NJ and tonight my girlfriend (who actually has bronchitis) and I went to 2 "Mom and Pop" pharmacies to see if we could get her some Cheratussin AC for her cough. At both pharmacies we were informed that these were prescription only meds and that legally there is no way they could sell it to us without a script.
I happen to know that this is absolutely false and I told them that I was certain they were mistaken and added that I have been able to purchase it without a script in NJ in the past. They both told me that either I was lying or the pharmacy which sold it to me had broken the law because Cheratussin AC absolutely requires a perscription.

I was very annoyed-not because they wouldnt sell it to us (we really could have cared less about getting it) but I was annoyed that these guys were both unaware of the actual laws on this product. Its their job to know this stuff and it bothers me to think that they have likely denied many people who truly needed this stuff because they are misinformed.

I decided I was going to print this out and hand it to the pharmacists next time I go in. I plan on saying "I no longer need the Cheratussin, but I thought you should read this so that you are aware of the actual laws regarding this product".

"Under U.S. federal law, up to four ounces can be purchased within a 48 hour period without prescription, provided the purchaser is at least 18 years of age, sign a log book, and provide identification if not known to the pharmacist. However, many states nonetheless prohibit sale without prescription, or have restrictions on purchase. For example, New Jersey law specifies that a person can purchase no more than 4 four ounce bottles per year."

-DG

^It says that in some states it is legal to sell without a prescription right on the front of the bottle; it would be near impossible for them not to notice. This wording isn't exact, but something like "Under federal law schedule V drugs are legal to sell without a prescription, though laws may vary from state to state," right on the front like a surgeon general's warning. Most places say they are out of stock, not that they wont sell it to you. I feel like your pharmacists were just taking a stupid approach on this same strategy. Once I got this weird one about not being able to sell it to me because they had it in a big bottle and poured the prescribed dose into a smaller bottle, but in far more confusing words. If you still think they are such idiots they do not know despite the rule about schedule V drugs being printed right on the front of the bottle, I would point them towards that instead of 2nd hand accounts of the law from the internet. Personally, I would take a $5 bet that they have a schedule V log book, they just almost never let anyone sign it.

What pharmacy in NJ lets you do this? I haven't tried any yet, but i'd rather know of a good one before i look around getting rejected. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out.

This is legal to do in New Jersey. You have to sign for it & a lot of the time scan your ID.

Tips:

1. You won't find it at most corporate chain pharmacies so just skip trying. Mom & Pops are the way to go.

2. Have a neat appearance & a cough (they will actually look)

3. Try getting one of the younger pharmacy techs. to give it to you. They might not know the rules as well.

4. Most importantly, according to law the pharmacist must verbally evaluate you to decide if you 'need it' or not. The definition of need it is: "You have tried 2 other OTC cough suppressants that have not worked or you do not respond well to additional agents in said cough suppressants."

5. So basically, you want to know a couple other cough meds and the reasons they don't work/you can't take them.

Let me respond to that off-topic reply.

You took Suboxone to get high or prevent withdrawals? I knew people who paid $15 for the 8mg tabs!?! Is that usual? I took myself out of the game about two weeks after being on the program but I remember someone asking me if I'd trade 4 of them for an eighth of hydroponic (chronic) marijuana + an extra gram. I thought he was joking and I took up his offer. When word got around that I had access to Suboxone my cell went off the hook 24/7. Thats about the time I quit the lifestyle and straightened out my shit. Does Suboxone get people without tolerances high enough to pay $15 per tab? I never tried Buprenorphine before being put on the program and since I was switching from Methadone, naturally I didn't catch a buzz.

People buy it here too. The people I know were paying 20-25 for an 8mg to avoid WD, not to get high.

psh, no pharm tech is going to give it to you. they ask the pharmacist 100% of the time. it makes it twice as awkward because you have to ask the pharm tech and they almost never know what it is. they start asking you questions trying to figure it out, and you wanna say, "look, just go get the pharmacist because that is where we are going to end up anyways," but I don't. you have to continue to explain until they realize they need to get the pharmacist.

the best strategy is to have a cold. this increases my chances of success hugely. also, do not ask meekly. that is huge. do not ask if they will sell you ac cheratussin; tell them what you want, like it is anything else and like you are sure they are going to get it for you. then just stand there and stare at the pharmacist and answer the questions. "no, i do not have a prescription." nothing more, no, "i heard you can get it without though" or anything of that foolish nature . "No I have not purchased it at this location before (Or yes, if you have). Yes, I have my ID." bam! a little bit of codeine. you will get shot down sometimes; they are either out of stock or you need a prescription. i take that as, "fuck off," and have never tried to correct them or ask when they will be in-stock. corrected a pharmtech once when she told me i could not buy it because i had 2 months ago. i told here it was every 48 hours (or whatever it is, i forget now) and the pharmacist overhead and said i was right. the pharmtech took that to mean that it was ok to sell it to me, and i got it when i was sure i had walked into a failure. this isn't against the rules right? Not sourcing. Not advice on how to break the law. but it is advice on how to buy a drug?

crazy how much easier it is in france. 10mg codeine/10mg ethylmorphine, nothing else to deter abuse. very cheap. never got shot down once, but every pharmacy says they only have one pack left. no problem though, because the next pharmacy is just across the street, and you can see 3 more green pharmacy signs just from where you are standing.

Thats certainly correct.

10 ML contains 20 mg codiene with 100 mg of Guiffesein (however you spell that). Anyone know a ceilin g dose of that G... stuff?

the ceiling dose for me is over 3 grams of the stuff. idk why, but i seem to have a strong stomach and i've taken a shit load of it(due to it being in DXM preparations) and didn't start vomiting like hell like most do. i think the dose that made me sick was like 4 grams(idk for sure how much, it was a huge bottle of cough syrup).

however most people i know can't handle 1.5 grams, and some reach their limit at 2 grams. and them some people i know have thrown up after taking at the directed dose.

note that it actually not very toxic, it just upsets the stomach in large doses. you'd likely overdose on the codeine in the formulation before you reach the lethal dose of guaifenesin.

The entire bottle has 240 mg codeine and 2400 mg guafenesen. I've never had a problem drinking half or more of the bottle in one gulp

the ceiling dose for me is over 3 grams of the stuff. idk why, but i seem to have a strong stomach and i've taken a shit load of it(due to it being in DXM preparations) and didn't start vomiting like hell like most do. i think the dose that made me sick was like 4 grams(idk for sure how much, it was a huge bottle of cough syrup).

however most people i know can't handle 1.5 grams, and some reach their limit at 2 grams. and them some people i know have thrown up after taking at the directed dose.

note that it actually not very toxic, it just upsets the stomach in large doses. you'd likely overdose on the codeine in the formulation before you reach the lethal dose of guaifenesin.
guaif......NO STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE PLLLEEEASEEEE! It seriously hurt my chest so badthe next day and wasn't even worth the risks that could have been involved.

nah, I've taken this shit so many times, sometimes 3 times a week for a month straight and never had a problem, you probably had some kind of strange reaction to it personally

Hey fatstep, where in Charlotte did you find it? And am I reading correctly, 40 oz?! I plan on looking around tomorrow. Codeine should be OTC. I really don't know how I've never heard of this. A well kept secret I'd say.

Edit: I saw that you also live in NC bpayne, could you pm me which pharmacy you found it at? I'm going out tomorrow to look around for it but it'd be nice to just know who carries it.

Last edited:
I got some. Just went in and said I'm looking for a bottle of Cheratussin. She got one off the shelf, looked at my id, got me to sign the Schedule V log, and said that'll be $3.62. Three dollars. 20mg per 10mL. :) Thanks for this thread and all that contributed! I'm a light opiate user and this is perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.