• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Tramadol and Suboxone

ive mixed the two for several months now with no problems. i have a prescription for tramadol. i know bupe doesnt do much for pain (for me, i took 2mg sub lingual and my shoulder and back still hurt. i have a compressed t11 vertebrate from jumping off an 70 some foot waterfall in hawaii. ive never experienced tramadol wd yet but i will taper, as it is the best way to get off any drug. im currently tapering off of valium, subtracting 2.5mg per day and so far its ok, a little edgy sometimes but nothing like xanax wd/taper. and whoever said heroin withdrawal is the worst, i couldnt imagine a 100mg dail methadone withdrawal, and i went through a small xanax wd, that was worse than massive poppy tea for months. benzo wd seems to be the absolute worst, imo. like you just said though mr fistfull, tramadol works good for depression. i feel odd saying it, but i bet most of us here are depressed, if we are using opiates or whatever to get high. tramadol is nice for that, id like to get on some prozac or something, moving back from hawaii to the mainland where there is no sun or ocean to swim in just brings me way down, and now im back into opiates and benzos. didnt do any of that in hawaii! i just hope i can get ahold of some more benzos soon for getting off tram if i do. still waiting for xrays from hawaii, its been 2 weeks now. sucks being a drug addict and having legitimate chronic back pain. its hard as fuck to manage that. it appears jag is correct though, get off the tramadol first, and then the bupe. im just curious how hard it is to get off bupe, and how one would taper. im not a daily bupe user at all. i take it in place of tramadol some days so i can take 1 or 2mg of bupe and not use my tramadol at all, but my pain, like i said, still lingers a bit, as bupe isnt really meant for pain management.

I think tramadol is the only opioid that you can take with suboxne that will synergize together.

Yeah, tramadol is a much better pain killer than sub. Sub dulls the pain to some degree but tramadol takes the pain away and has some AD properties on top of that. I like the drug a lot personally.

drugs are good

well i have been tapering off of a bad oxy habit for the past week with tramadol. its been great for most of the w/d. maybe some runny shit in the morning but other than. that great. this morning a friend gave me 10 subs. i snorted about 1/6 of the 8 mg pill.took a long time to kick in but whoa did it feel good. still leaves something to be desired but feels pretty damn good. now im debating if i should pop some trammies. i fucking hate being an addict

Tramadol does bind to the u-opioid receptors, but it is an antagonist,and will precipitate withdrawal. However, beware to those of you who are thinking this would be a cool thing for depression...

I have been using H for chronic pain, and wanting to get off it, but my pain doc cut off my meds (not sure why) and I've been in agony. A few days ago, he wrote me for tramadol as needed every 8 hours for pain and cymbalta for nerve pain. I was paranoid about the precipitated w/d and played it carefully, but failed to fully account for the synergistic effects of the two drugs I was *prescribed* (both SSNRIs)!! Took the first tram at about 10pm and the first dose of cymbalta about 7:45am the following morning. Half an hour later, I ended up on the most terrifying experience of my life, couldn't remember how to get home from a place I go almost every day, dizzy, shaking, anxious...at first I thought I hadn't waited long enough since my last dose of H, but it turned out to be serotonin syndrome caused by the combination of prescription drugs!

So it turns out I am not a fan of trams. Be careful with that one, folks - even though I'm hearing here that it's ok with subs (no personal experience), it doesn't seem to play well with other drugs in general (regular opiates or other SSRIs/SNRIs).

That's what I get for trying to do the "right" thing and take the drugs from the nice man in the white coat. Though the risks scare me to death, maybe I should just stick with what I know and what works...

Tramadol does bind to the u-opioid receptors, but it is an antagonist,and will precipitate withdrawal. However, beware to those of you who are thinking this would be a cool thing for depression...

I have been using H for chronic pain, and wanting to get off it, but my pain doc cut off my meds (not sure why) and I've been in agony. A few days ago, he wrote me for tramadol as needed every 8 hours for pain and cymbalta for nerve pain. I was paranoid about the precipitated w/d and played it carefully, but failed to fully account for the synergistic effects of the two drugs I was *prescribed* (both SSNRIs)!! Took the first tram at about 10pm and the first dose of cymbalta about 7:45am the following morning. Half an hour later, I ended up on the most terrifying experience of my life, couldn't remember how to get home from a place I go almost every day, dizzy, shaking, anxious...at first I thought I hadn't waited long enough since my last dose of H, but it turned out to be serotonin syndrome caused by the combination of prescription drugs!

So it turns out I am not a fan of trams. Be careful with that one, folks - even though I'm hearing here that it's ok with subs (no personal experience), it doesn't seem to play well with other drugs in general (regular opiates or other SSRIs/SNRIs).

That's what I get for trying to do the "right" thing and take the drugs from the nice man in the white coat. Though the risks scare me to death, maybe I should just stick with what I know and what works...

Sorry but the info you provided is completely wrong. Tramadol is NOT an antagonist. It binds to the mu receptors and acts as an AGONIST (it also has some other activity which you mentioned and you were correct on that point).

But back to the point, tramadol is NOT an antagonist at mu and CANNOT precipitate withdrawal. Is it possible you are confusing it with buprenorphine (suboxone/subutex). Buprenorphine acts as a mixed agonist/antagonist and it can and will precipitate withdrawal if you take it too soon after taking a full agonist (oxy, heroin etc).

Anyway I just wanted to clear that up. Tramadol is not an antagonist and cannot precipitate withdrawal. Buprenorphine is a mixed agonist/antagonist and can precipitate withdrawal.-DG

Sorry but the info you provided is completely wrong. Tramadol is NOT an antagonist. It binds to the mu receptors and acts as an AGONIST (it also has some other activity which you mentioned and you were correct on that point).

But back to the point, tramadol is NOT an antagonist at mu and CANNOT precipitate withdrawal. Is it possible you are confusing it with buprenorphine (suboxone/subutex). Buprenorphine acts as a mixed agonist/antagonist and it can and will precipitate withdrawal if you take it too soon after taking a full agonist (oxy, heroin etc).

Anyway I just wanted to clear that up. Tramadol is not an antagonist and cannot precipitate withdrawal. Buprenorphine is a mixed agonist/antagonist and can precipitate withdrawal.-DG

Correct. Thank you for clearing up that misconception, DG!

Would trams help with sub withdrawals? Anyone tried? I am looking for any helpful meds including trams for the very near future unfortunately....

Would trams help with sub withdrawals? Anyone tried? I am looking for any helpful meds including trams for the very near future unfortunately....

Yes of course they would help. They do act as an opioid agonist (amongst other things).

What dose of subs are you taking? Depending on the dose, the tramadol might be extremely helpful, or just somewhat helpful.

Just be careful with the tramadol dosage. Once you get into 400-500mg region, you are putting yourself at risk of seizures so be sure to keep your dose below that.

My advice would be to taper down to as low a dose of suboxone as possible (I think you will be surprised by how low you can drop your dose and still be comfortable). Then once you run out of suboxone at that low dose, then switch to tramadol when you begin feeling withdrawal.

Also, please be aware that tramadol itself is addictive (though less so then traditional opioids) so you still might end up with withdrawal when the trams run out. Good luck-DG

tramadol is a god send if you are experiencing the WD, withdrawal not white devil. depending on your ability to metabolize it that is. i can honestly take just two and it will help out tons. especially with sleeping. i have found it easier to taper with tramadol. start with 150 mg. see how it feels. it may take up to an hour to feel something however. some people do better taking 50mg every hour until they reach the desired effect. and some say you feel less snri effects and more opi like effects doing it this way. everyone is different i wish people would understand that. to all those who have a "superiority complex" and constantly have to remind us that "my withdrawal is worse than yours, my tolerance is higher than yours", blah blah blah blah that sucks for you....

MY Main point being. Tramadol is one hell of a drug. mixed with subs. gives me a nod from hell

and whats the big deal with mixing tramadol and other opes. ive done it countless amounts of time and no bad has ever stemmed from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can and I have taken trams and bupe together. I don't feel any negative effects at all. But the tramadol obviously has less effect I think, you just get a serotonin/noradrenaline/Gaba-ish type effect. They don't feel the same as when I took them while not on subs but still good to have incase of pain.

trams are the one opiate I've manage to actually take when I want to take and not get addicted.

I have no idea why either cause I love them. Have never been able to control anything else but trams I can take twice a week and be fine not having any cravings for more, tram IS a very weird opiate. I believe thats why its called atypical lol. Because people like me don't get hooked on it..

trams are the one opiate I've manage to actually take when I want to take and not get addicted.

I have no idea why either cause I love them. Have never been able to control anything else but trams I can take twice a week and be fine not having any cravings for more, tram IS a very weird opiate. I believe thats why its called atypical lol. Because people like me don't get hooked on it..

Same here man, I've been taking Tramadol rather erratically for a long,long time and when it's over it's over,no discomfort,no WDs,nothing...but yeah,always in combination with Bupre and at relatively low doses(200mgs or even less) ...lol,the other day I read some stuff about some dude who was doing like 1.5 GRAMS of Tram/daily,I mean ,Wtf,if you're that reckless or whatever, it might just be kinda awkward to quit.As for the synergy,it's definitely a thumbs up if you wish to add some "colour" to your Subs.

Same here man, I've been taking Tramadol rather erratically for a long,long time and when it's over it's over,no discomfort,no WDs,nothing...but yeah,always in combination with Bupre and at relatively low doses(200mgs or even less) ...lol,the other day I read some stuff about some dude who was doing like 1.5 GRAMS of Tram/daily,I mean ,Wtf,if you're that reckless or whatever, it might just be kinda awkward to quit.As for the synergy,it's definitely a thumbs up if you wish to add some "colour" to your Subs.

haha yeah i read that. i take high doses of tram like that, too. but i take diazepam daily, different story there.

I'm pretty sure that bupe's only antagonist action is at the k receptor. I think the way bupe precipitates withdrawal is just because of it's high affinity for the mu. In other words, its attraction to the mu receptors is much higher than heroin but its effect on the mu receptors is not 'full agonism' as heroin and many other opioids are. It's effect is slightly different. It's not an antagonistic effect at all but the term for it is 'partial agonism'. So if you introduce bupe when heroin or another full agonist opioid is in there, the bupe is always going to 'bully' the full agonist out of there because of it's ultra-high affinity for the receptors. Apparently that makes one sick. I bet 'precipitated withdrawal' is probably a somewhat poor term for it.

Safe to use Suboxone after taking Tramadol?

I've read various things indicating that it is safe to consume Suboxone sfter taking Tramadol...I know the golden rule is to wait 24-36 hours after taking any opiate before consuming bupe, that's why this stood out to me. Tramadol is my only opiate available, and I also have one 8 mg Suboxone. So, can I take the Tramadol for a day or 2 then switch to the Suboxone, without doing the 36 hour wait...?

Check out the Suboxone Mega Thread's directory (third post), we already have a thread on tramadol and Suboxone.

Merged.

PS

You can take tramadol with Suboxone.

I've used tramadol with many a different chemicals: tramadol + SSRIs, tramadol + kratom, tramadol + countless opiate withdrawals, and namely tramadol + buprenorphine. One thing to look out for is high doses of bupe and tramadol, as both can potentially cause serotonin syndrome on their own, and this threat is likely heightened by the combination albeit it would most certainly be strange, it's just theoretically possible. I've taken around 600mg of tramadol with 8mg of bupe and had a very daunting spacey feeling, and these doses of the chemicals singularly never gives me this effect. A similar feeling came across me when I stupidly took sertraline with tramadol, as I didn't care about serotonin syndrome, I just wanted to get fucked up.

I'd say it's generally safe, just be on the look out for any faintness, trembling or numbness in the extremities at high doses of the combination.

I'd like to add that tramadol is useless to me unless I take it in intervals of 50mg every half an hour, or if I take the extended release form because the active metabolite has most of the opiate properties. I never found any precipitated opiate withdrawal effects from it and the use of suboxone though--no matter how I take it or which order I take it in.

Last edited:
Well I'm not necessarily going to take them together....I'm currently in WD from a 7 day H binge...( I know, it's not long, but I'm definitely in WD right now). My last time using H was about 15-16 hours ago last night. I have 1000 mg of Tramadol and 8 mg of Suboxone. My idea was to switch to the tramadol now, while I'm in WD, in low doses, then tomorrow night, start with the Suboxone. I just want to make sure I'm not going to experience precipitated withdrawal from taking the suboxone oon after taking the tramadol....

Well I'm not necessarily going to take them together....I'm currently in WD from a 7 day H binge...( I know, it's not long, but I'm definitely in WD right now). My last time using H was about 15-16 hours ago last night. I have 1000 mg of Tramadol and 8 mg of Suboxone. My idea was to switch to the tramadol now, while I'm in WD, in low doses, then tomorrow night, start with the Suboxone. I just want to make sure I'm not going to experience precipitated withdrawal from taking the suboxone oon after taking the tramadol....

dont worry, there wouldnt be any predipitated withdrawal if you took bupe after tram, before, or at the exact same time. they actually go quite nicely together.;) just dont try this with anything beside tram. hope you get to feeling better.

dont worry, there wouldnt be any predipitated withdrawal if you took bupe after tram, before, or at the exact same time. they actually go quite nicely together.;) just dont try this with anything beside tram. hope you get to feeling better.

ok so Im safe to take Tram...awesome. Should I still wait 36-48 hours after my last H dose before taking the Sub? I want to go from tram to sub as fast as possible...