Tracing calls from a blocked cell phone number

ZenMasterDrew

Bluelighter
I don't want to get into the details on a message board for obvious reasons, but a dude i was supposed to buy some stuff from a few weeks ago took my money and then disappeared. Then after i called him angrily a few times, i got a phone call from a blocked number. The man on the other line claimed to be a detective with the local police and asked me to come in for "voluntary questioning" regarding the asshole who had just recently taken my money.

This leaves me with three questions.
1. What good ccould possibly come from me complying with this request and going to the police station?
2. Would a cop really call someone from a blocked number?
3. How can i find out who it was that really called me? Is there a way that my phone company can trace blocked numbers like this? I've heard that they can put a tracer or something like that on your line but I'm not sure.

I don't really think it was a cop that called me, but I just wanted to see what yall think. Question #3 is doubly important because a friend of mine has also been getting harassing phone calls at random hours from some weirdo on a blocked number as well.

Thanks for oyur help!

^^^^ That would just increase the suspicion level, if any, IMO.

This leaves me with three questions.
1. What good could possibly come from me complying with this request and going to the police station?
Without consulting with a lawyer first, probably not much good, and quite possibly you could suffer harm in the legal sense.

2. Would a cop really call someone from a blocked number?
Yes.

3. How can i find out who it was that really called me? Is there a way that my phone company can trace blocked numbers like this? I've heard that they can put a tracer or something like that on your line but I'm not sure.
Unless it's a threatening or harassing caller, I doubt that you'll be able to get the number. Next time he calls, ask where the "interview" will take place, and who will be conducting the interview. Say nothing else. Then consult with your lawyer.

As part of a burglary investigation, I've received calls from an investigator with the local police department from a blocked number - he uses a cellphone, and simply sets it to "block number" so nobody sees his outbound ANI.

As to unblocking a blocked number coming in to your phone, this is quite easy to do. In the old days, you might need a tap/trace at the CO; nowadays, its as easy as stripping the ANI_private identifier off the SS7 channel metatada - the number is actually there, it just tells your local switching substation (or cell tower) to block itself.

While I've seen demonstrations of unblocking hacks that can be done self-rolled, using an Asterisk install and some trunking tricks, it is alot easier to subscribe to a public service to do it. Here's one service which I've not used before so I can't vouch for it.

Peace,

Fausty

Well this was a good while ago and i think it's pretty much blown over, although if i ever see this guy again i think i might beat his ass. I really dont think it was a cop calling me, i think it was one of the guy's friends trying to make it look like he got busted so he could punk out with my money. But then again I didn't know that cops would actually call from a blocked number.

ANYWAY. Why would a cop do that? And on another note is there a way my f riend can trace the blocked number that is harassing her?