• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What do psychedelics do to your thinking?

have you never ever become aware that the human reality isn't nothing more than the thougts which are transformed into the world? i mean, i also experienced such things on lsd trips, but also in soberness
as i explained the effects of a psychedelic drug above i thought it was clear to everyone that you are nothing more(and nothing less) than your mind/your free will, and the wolrd shapes around you by your will(and of course by the things you do to reach that will, even if you aren't aware that what you are doing is what brings you to your goal)

Is it the drugs, or do they allow me to think

So while I've been tripping lately there has been this same sober guy,
He enjoys his sobriety or maybe drinks
But he has been with us for some mda [I consider that a psych]
And I had some many discussions with him,
And I couldn't help but think I sound retarded as shit,
Or if I was actually saying intelligent things.

Have anyone you watched/listened to yourself after the trip.
Did it still make good sense?

^^About the same here. Although that doesn't mean what your trying to say is stupid, just that words cannot do adequate justice to the thoughts your having. :D I tried to describe a shroom trip I was on to a friend and the best I could come up with was "It's like being born maaaaannn". Which really wasn't what I was thinking but was the best I could do at the time.

I've had a lot of revelations on the way the world works while tripping. Most of them still make a lot of sense to me afterwards.

Although that doesn't mean what your trying to say is stupid, just that words cannot do adequate justice to the thoughts your having.

Exactly thats why many trip reports do not explain the experience or the feeling because launguage cannot interpert your subjective experience of psychadelics to the full extent that you experience it.

Well I wasnt really trying to get across how the trip was,
just more of in depth conversations about things.

I'm pretty sure there is more to reality that just human cognition.

i was talking about the human reality, not the absolute reality
but, because i'm not quite sure what you mean with human cognition, i would ask you to go into more detail so we could start a discussion

Well, what do you think? Do you think your talking nonsense or is there a glimmer of truth or somesuch in there? Part of the learning experience via psychedelics is learning to assimilate the unfiltered stream of life/light/conciousness that imbues one, and seperate the bullshit from the truth. Bullshit or nonsense has its place, and a good one at that- it allows us to illuminate Truth more completely. We understand many things through their opposite nature, so in understanding what is untrue/crap, we are easier able to see what is true and not-crap.

The important things to take back from tripping, I think, are the applicble and reasonable ideas. That is not to say that supercosmic fanatsitc McKenna-like notions are useless or pointless, but the idea of unity and eternal love and the idea that the Universe is inherently a peaceful, safe and harmonious place- these things cn be taken back from the psychedelics state and integrated into your waking life, making it more fulfilling and giving. The rest is just fun to spark the frontal lobes with. :)

quietdancer said:
I also find myself experiencing this phenomenon.

it gets really interesting when you find your thoughts shaping the reality around you in real time! (and can observe the same thing happening with other people )

Hmm, s'like a feedback loop sort of. You think, an aspect of reality changes, you observe and the change is locked- but still, you are thinking and reality is changing and locking.....

Well ever since my last time with the mda, I just habe been upset at the world

So many weird things, Time, everything that isn't natural, and the fact people forget they are only people.

We don't need all this technology, don't get me wrong, but what stated out as the idea to make a weapon to get food with, has now turned into internet superstars and digital cars etc.
It sickens me how far people have gone from being another thing on earth to more the earth is on us, and we are in control.

The fact the molecules make everything up, drives me crazy.
Its like how all the really tiny things make up everything, but what are those tiny's made of.

also the concept of my conscious.
I have this thing in me somewhere, that is processing al the this info into who I am, what my actions are and the fact I can think. Its so crazy. I just am lost in the fact I can think, and while im rolling I cant think, just respond. I answer every question with a sense of air and use some big words, but as soon as the words are out of my mouth the next thing is what are we talking about.

I dont know if these thoughts make sense, and or beneficial to me, but I wish I knew more about the physical self. But they have made an impact on my life, as I can seem to know tell who gets what im talking about, and is living in the now, or the people who just follow paths and live tomorow

Kinda a ramble post but it gives you an idea of the type of things I was speaking of.

Also I don't really have anyone talk to about this with so they have just been running through my head, same with other ideas and theroys

It causes me to no longer think. At all.
I have no thoughts on drugs.
But I do talk way to much about everything, so I guess I just think outwardly.
Life seems to make sense more and more while material things turn to waste.

It makes me realize the only tings in life that I need to do are eat, hydrate, sleep, and think. Anything else is an added bonus to help expand my mind in the hopes of one day creating a item that allows for a greater understanding to be found, but without needing to be fucked up.

Yeah im not making much sense today guys :/

Filkins said:
Well ever since my last time with the mda, I just habe been upset at the world

So many weird things, Time, everything that isn't natural, and the fact people forget they are only people.

We don't need all this technology, don't get me wrong, but what stated out as the idea to make a weapon to get food with, has now turned into internet superstars and digital cars etc.
It sickens me how far people have gone from being another thing on earth to more the earth is on us, and we are in control.

Rather then let it sicken you, let it awaken the desire to NOT be like that in you. Psychedelics and tripping shouldn't hurt or instill fear, though thats easy enough to do. What can happen is that the Veil of Illusion (or the doors of perception) is drawn back, and things are truly seen for what they are. Now, this view is at odds with a 'normal', sober view of the world- at odds, but just as valid.

So you perceive the fallibilty and ultimate illusory nature of this man-made world? Well, you have to function in it, but you don't have to contribute to it~ think about that. BUT eithr way, your a part of the world and society and everything in between, even if you reject those things; so, in a sense, its best to pick up what you need, such as a desire for a more natural state of living, and discard what you dont, like these ideas that sicken you. It feels intelligent and insightful to feel pain of the world, but intelligence allows you to see the pain, feel it, process it and do something about it. Your intelligent.

The fact the molecules make everything up, drives me crazy.
Its like how all the really tiny things make up everything, but what are those tiny's made of.

Who knows? You have your whole life to find out though. :) That is the beauty. You get to Live.

also the concept of my conscious.
I have this thing in me somewhere, that is processing al the this info into who I am, what my actions are and the fact I can think. Its so crazy. I just am lost in the fact I can think, and while im rolling I cant think, just respond. I answer every question with a sense of air and use some big words, but as soon as the words are out of my mouth the next thing is what are we talking about.

I dont know if these thoughts make sense, and or beneficial to me, but I wish I knew more about the physical self. But they have made an impact on my life, as I can seem to know tell who gets what im talking about, and is living in the now, or the people who just follow paths and live tomorow

Its hard to talk about a physical self- because the Self is really not physical, or mental even, or even particualrly personal- it just is whats there when everything else goes away. If you can simply say to yourself "I do not know who I Am" and feel okay, then your well on your way to easing sufferring. Remember, all these people who "follow paths and live tomorow" are just your brothers and sisters, also trying to make some sense of the world, sometimes in a blatantly wrong fashion- but still, we all try. We can never say for certain if we are correct or not, because there is no concrete idea of correct or right, so all we can do is try and make life good. That involves, imo, giving to others and taking as little as possible.

I understand where your coming from Fili; I would suggest several things- first, dont trip again for a while and integrate these thoughts into your life. That means, be able to acknowledge these feelings peacefully before taking the chance of stirring them up again. Secondly, try meditating to clear your head. Some thoughts are just plain uselss. And thirdly, remember that your never alone, that many billions have been here before and that these dillemmas are age old, as old as humanity. There is no escaping these metaphysical questions, and yet humanity has survived. Find out how.

*Also, MDA, IMO only, is a nasty mindfucker. It may feel benign in a sense, but it often leaves me confused.

PEACE :)<3

Well, im not worried about it them, I have always enjoyed thoughts and patterns similar to this, but Its just I've had such a change in my views on how life is, and how people are.

I love talking to people, and giving them my thoughts, to hear there points and get a bigger understanding.

I am however putting some space between my trips but I feel as though the concepts and ideas may no be helpful, but the style of thinking/analyzing things is, and it allows me to really understand who I am, maybe not as to what I do and act, but that I am me, and you are you, but what matters is can we both achive happiness without hurting one another.

Filkins said:
It causes me to no longer think. At all.
I have no thoughts on drugs.
But I do talk way to much about everything, so I guess I just think outwardly.
Life seems to make sense more and more while material things turn to waste.

It makes me realize the only tings in life that I need to do are eat, hydrate, sleep, and think. Anything else is an added bonus to help expand my mind in the hopes of one day creating a item that allows for a greater understanding to be found, but without needing to be fucked up.

Yeah im not making much sense today guys :/
somehow you are a little paradoxical, you say that more and more material things to you turn to waste, but on the other hand you want to create an item, which is devinitely formed of matter ^^
especially a device for understanding, to understand it only takes thinking.
that's the neat thing about psychedelic drugs, as i said, your actual human being begins to somehow disapper(that's why it's bad to overdo psychedelics, you simply somehow tend to forget yourself, and the drug shows it to you, because you don't want it to happen, it would be horrible to lose your human being, which is the only thing you really have in your live(except maybe every other living creature)), and you, no longer a human being, but just a living creature with no desires, begin to look at the world(and actually are forced to look at it that way, that's why there are bad trips ^^) the way it is and not the way other people may told you, even your own conclusions about live disappers, and you learn to live in the moment, and to live to 100% percent at that momet and enjoy every pleasure you want to enjoy at that very moment(which explains the "time expansion", time just "disappears"because it becomes unimportant, so unimportant that you lose track of it), which is not possible if you are sober, because you want to reach something in your live, which is definitely a good thing
and why reduce yourself to 4 things? i mean, k, for me i reduce it to one thing, and that simply is living, but on the other hand it contains everything you can do %)
That's why i "ended up" here i guess, hehe

Last edited:
>>It causes me to no longer think. At all.>>

I get the exact opposite (well, unless i get so far down the rabbit hole that thinking and not-thinking, isness and oneness, etc. are somehow collapsed into one (that is also none and also many).

Parts of the psychedelic experience that are cognitive, but not verbal are the time expansion and spatial sense. My verbal thinking can be dormant but there is "more data" available about spatial perception and time sense. Also the dichotomy between 'holistic mode VS perceiving things as discreet unit' is more extreme. I'm realizing I don't have much of a vocabulary for describing psychedelic thinking. I want to say cognition is looser, but there's something more to it. Its easier to flow from one subject entirely into the next, but I still have focus. Sedatives can be loose but they don't have laser focus available.

In my opinion a trip is somehow like dying(someone who ever might have had a DMT trip will know what i'm talking about 8) ), a trip to heaven if you want to say so, that magical place where everything can happen (in reality it's more like a trip into your deeper self)
at that place there are no rules for to being alive as in our normal human society, that place where you become one with everything surrounding you, that place where, at least for some time, nothing matters anymore, not even you.
And, furthermore, you come into peace with yourself(if you are "authorised" to, not by the drug, but by yourself; if your live sucks, a trip will suck), and finally take some time to do things you always wanted to do on a trip.
I think that, most of the things that happen to you on a trip, happen to you because you wanted them to happen (or are forced to happen to you so you can go further on with your live; what a bad trip is like about, most of the people who had a bad trip say that, in the afterwards, for them as people, it has been an insight)
as someone mentioned here before, when he's on a trip he most of the time likes to talk and not think, it is because you want to share things with people you have discovered(or at least think you have discovered) which you normally couldn't tell if you were sober, because of you thinking them not to believe under that circumstances, but, at such a special moment in time and space, he HAS to belive you, or that's at least what you want to belive(or just because you want to want to enjoy the fun of talking/meeting people, and so on and son on(as i mentioned before, it depends on your will ;) )
let's be honest, thinking on psychedelic drugs is, let's say, too fast to really follow, a thought comes by, stays in your mind and is gone as fast as he has come, but there always will be some insights you had on a trip you can take to "the other side", the sober life(or at least non psychedelic one ^^)
to come back to this "oneness" thing, i really do belive in it.
In my opinion there is like only one consciousness, because we are all the same and all (somehow)want the same things, lead the life we want to lead.
I think that the soul, if you want to say so, is the same within what fullfills every living creature, that's why you can "communicate" whith every one, even with animals for example. The only thing that makes those lifes different is the fact that they are living their own life(and the shape of their physical manifestion)
to say it in short terms: on a trip you become one with what you are, the world that surrounds you. In return, when you are sober, you don't want to really be part of something, because of you wanting to live your own life, want to change you and the world around you(Evolution? ^^).
Reminds me of a quote i have once read "Every living cell on this planet is living on cost of the entropy of the universe"(because it organizes the atoms it is made of)

Last edited:
psychedelics provide me a wider, more comprehensive spectrum of stimuli and therefore challenge me to better every thinking skill I have in order to continue perceiving my reality efficiently.

it's good shit.

Although I did say it causes me to cease to think,
its only while tripping.
Concepts and ideas make sense now where not knowing doesnt anymore
when off them people have flat out told me I've seemed smarter lately.

Filkins said:
Concepts and ideas make sense now where not knowing doesnt anymore when off them people have flat out told me I've seemed smarter lately.
Reminds me about an article I once read about an Cisco technician who said that he kind of uses LSD for certain problems, and he described it like that "On LSD you stop knowing and begin to understand"