• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Phenylethylamine (PEA) experiences and safety

beyond-infinity

Bluelighter
I've been taking P.E.A. for the past week, dosing between 0.5 and 1g at a time. Recently I've been redosing every hour because from a single dose the effects ware off after about 30 mins, followed by a comedown lasting about 1/2 to 1 hour. The effect is very much like speed.. a comfortable, content feeling. It's just a shame it's so short lasting. I used to take it twice a day (300-500mg) with deprenyl (mao-b inhibitor) to prevent it's breakdown. The 30 min high was incredible but not worth the horrible hour long comedown, not to mention a huge rise in bp and heart rate. So now I just take PEA on it's own.

There has been quite a lot of talk here whether or not PEA on it's own is psychoactive. It most definately is. The thing is, I don't want to develop an addiction to it, and more importantly I'm concerned about the long term effects it can have. There is very little info on the web about it, so any new light that can be shed on this will be greatly appreciated.

I have never noticed any kind of recreational value in PEA. And this is even when I paired it with Deprenyl (5 mg dose). Only tried it twice, but never got much out of it.

BTW, you do know that Deprenyl taken in doses over 10mg cause it to inhibit MAO-A as well...

Hi, if you took 5mg deprenyl followed half an hour later by upwards of 200mg PEA you would surely feel the effects. Note PEA is phenylethylamine, not the amino acid phenylalanine which it has been confused with in other posts here.

I doubt there's many studies into it's neurotoxicity; MAO-B eliminates it from the brian quite quickly and so it probably hasn't been considered much as a potential drug of interest.

Everything I've heard about PEA has been that it's useless without an MAO-B inhibitor.

Thc and alcohol stimulate PEA release, and there alot more recreational than PEA plus deprynl. All PEA does is realease dopamine. If you really want a good PEA like high snort some coke. I know someone who has done PEA and deprynl. He turned red and looked like he was on speed. He said he felt good and described a coke high.

I don't even know if that's true. I stil haven't seen an answer to whether or not it's a releaser or a DARI.

Myself and others have found it active in doses of a few hundred mg (myself upwards of around 150mg), and is a LOT more potent with deprenyl. I'm using it for depression, but there is a fine line between that and getting high from it, when I also will get a comedown. So it does seem to release dopamine. Thisusername - do you have any sources for that?
It says on the package label that it shares chemical similarities to dopamine and norepinephrine which I haven't read anywhere else. There is surprisingly little info about it on the web, perhaps because it is quite new to the market?

It says on the package label that it shares chemical similarities to dopamine and norepinephrine which I haven't read anywhere else.

Well, dopamine is a type of phenylethylamine, and norepinephrine is similar as it is created from dopamine via hydroxylase if I remember. There isn't much info on it's function as a neurotransmitter.

thisusername said:
Thc and alcohol stimulate PEA release, and there alot more recreational than PEA plus deprynl. All PEA does is realease dopamine. If you really want a good PEA like high snort some coke. I know someone who has done PEA and deprynl. He turned red and looked like he was on speed. He said he felt good and described a coke high.

THC, Alcohol, Ritalin, Opiates, amphetamines all increase phenylethylamine levels. However Phenylethylamine is only a weak very brief dopamine releaser, most of it's effects are unrelated to dopamine.

jl6er said:
I have never noticed any kind of recreational value in PEA. And this is even when I paired it with Deprenyl (5 mg dose). Only tried it twice, but never got much out of it.

BTW, you do know that Deprenyl taken in doses over 10mg cause it to inhibit MAO-A as well...

You would need to take over 15 mg of deprenyl for more than 3 weeks to inhibit MAO-B. Straight phenylethylamine dosing requires 1-4 grams depending on the person on an empty stomach.

You would need to take over 15 mg of deprenyl for more than 3 weeks to inhibit MAO-B. Straight phenylethylamine dosing requires 1-4 grams depending on the person on an empty stomach.

3-4mg of oral Deprenyl (selegiline) has been shown in studies to inhibit over 80% of MAO-B irreversibly for up to two weeks, which is typically when the enzymes fully return to normal. Oral Deprenyl doses > 10mg inhibit MAO A & B.

I've tried Phenethylamine (PEA) by itself with absolutely no effects in doses up to 1.5 grams. I also tried it with Hordenine + Beta Alanine which gave me potent but VERY short lived effects. PEA is without a doubt best taken 30-45 minutes after Deprenyl. I started Deprenyl at 5mg a day for a few days until I eventually switched to 2.5mg EOD. This seems to give me a complete inhibition of MAO-B and maintains it after a short 'loading period'.

Also when I take PEA while on Deprenyl, the effects last quite a bit longer than the 10 min feeling I got with Hordenine + PEA. As mentioned earlier though there is a fine line between dosing. If I take about 250mg-300mg I feel a very powerful mood lift and mild euphoria and small feeling of weightlessness. But if I take more than 500mg I get a very strong, way too pronounced feeling of euphoria and body tingles which is followed by a depressing comedown with lethargy. The key is finding the right dose without taking too much.

On a side note as far as nootropics go, taking low dose Deprenyl maintenance as I mentioned above, and adding your optimum dose of PEA along with L-Theanine is a pretty extraordinary combo once you hit your sweet spots for dosing.

Last edited:
Activating P.E.A using simple Fo-Ti!

I was reading this forum, and figured out a much simpler, not to mention cheaper approach to activating Phenylethylamine (P.E.A)!

Fo-Ti capsules! A HERBAL/NATURAL MAO-B inhibitor. Any health store, even some drug stores should carry them. Very cheap too, about $10 for 100 caps!

My first test was 4800mgs of Fo-Ti (8 x 610mg capsules) and 750mg of P.E.A (Nutraceutics RX brand, 3 X 250mg caps). FYI, I'm 6'4 and 220lbs, so you may want to lower the dose according to your weight. ;) 45 mins in, the euphoric buzz kicks in, you can't miss it! Great combo!! And you don't need to mess around with prescription pharmaceuticals. This is definitely the safer and easier approach.

No heart rate/bp increase detected with this combo so far, at least at the dosage above. Haven't experienced a comedown yet either. It completely demolished my hangover from the night before, so there's one solid use for it!

You can try increasing/decreasing both the Fo-Ti, and P.E.A dosages. Play around with it to find the "magic" spot.

Earlier, I tested P.E.A at 1500mg on it's own, with absolutely zero effects.
Maybe in their next version the PEA manufacturer will include the FoTi in the caps as the activator ;)

Enjoy!

What is the medicinal use of the P.E.A; brand name; otc or pharm?...I think i've seen it in some cough syrups or something ... can't remember...

There is no medicinal use that I'm aware of. It's marketed as a mind enhancer supplement. It's not available otc and is not prescription. It's won't do much for your cough, so I'm certain you saw something else in your cough syrup ;)

The only way to get it at the moment is by ordering it online, in capsules and powder. Just search google for "order Phenylethylamine" or go here http://www.americannutrition.com/store/nutraceuticsrx_phenylethylamine.html

Enjoy ;)

One more thing, stick to Nutraceutics brand. The other brands (eg, Conginitive) out there are pure garbage, don't know how they manage to mess up 1 basic molecule, but they don't do the trick...

Heh I heard about someone using this to cook upmeth on totse or hippy-forums or something haha it's weird how all those chemicals are so closely related :p

3-4mg of oral Deprenyl (selegiline) has been shown in studies to inhibit over 80% of MAO-B irreversibly for up to two weeks, which is typically when the enzymes fully return to normal. Oral Deprenyl doses > 10mg inhibit MAO A & B.

I've tried Phenethylamine (PEA) by itself with absolutely no effects in doses up to 1.5 grams. I also tried it with Hordenine + Beta Alanine which gave me potent but VERY short lived effects. PEA is without a doubt best taken 30-45 minutes after Deprenyl. I started Deprenyl at 5mg a day for a few days until I eventually switched to 2.5mg EOD. This seems to give me a complete inhibition of MAO-B and maintains it after a short 'loading period'.

Also when I take PEA while on Deprenyl, the effects last quite a bit longer than the 10 min feeling I got with Hordenine + PEA. As mentioned earlier though there is a fine line between dosing. If I take about 250mg-300mg I feel a very powerful mood lift and mild euphoria and small feeling of weightlessness. But if I take more than 500mg I get a very strong, way too pronounced feeling of euphoria and body tingles which is followed by a depressing comedown with lethargy. The key is finding the right dose without taking too much.

On a side note as far as nootropics go, taking low dose Deprenyl maintenance as I mentioned above, and adding your optimum dose of PEA along with L-Theanine is a pretty extraordinary combo once you hit your sweet spots for dosing.

While blood levels of MAo-B return to normal within 2 week it takes longer for cerebral MAO-B levels to return. Since 1.5 grams tends to be the beginning dose where effects are noticed it seems your dose was too low by itself.

I was reading this forum, and figured out a much simpler, not to mention cheaper approach to activating Phenylethylamine (P.E.A)!

Fo-Ti capsules! A HERBAL/NATURAL MAO-B inhibitor. Any health store, even some drug stores should carry them. Very cheap too, about $10 for 100 caps!

My first test was 4800mgs of Fo-Ti (8 x 610mg capsules) and 750mg of P.E.A (Nutraceutics RX brand, 3 X 250mg caps). FYI, I'm 6'4 and 220lbs, so you may want to lower the dose according to your weight. ;) 45 mins in, the euphoric buzz kicks in, you can't miss it! Great combo!! And you don't need to mess around with prescription pharmaceuticals. This is definitely the safer and easier approach.

No heart rate/bp increase detected with this combo so far, at least at the dosage above. Haven't experienced a comedown yet either. It completely demolished my hangover from the night before, so there's one solid use for it!

You can try increasing/decreasing both the Fo-Ti, and P.E.A dosages. Play around with it to find the "magic" spot.

Earlier, I tested P.E.A at 1500mg on it's own, with absolutely zero effects.
Maybe in their next version the PEA manufacturer will include the FoTi in the caps as the activator ;)

Enjoy!

Can you cite any studies on fo ti inhibiting MAO-B? Many common foods inhibit MAO-B potently.

One more thing, stick to Nutraceutics brand. The other brands (eg, Conginitive) out there are pure garbage, don't know how they manage to mess up 1 basic molecule, but they don't do the trick...

Considering most companies are buying from the same source there is no quality difference.

i got enough effect just mixing it with a few other nootropics and smart drugs and l-theanine.
Will be trying PEA combo again soon. Its certainly not going to be a street drug or legal high cause u need too much. I also think having over 5mg of deprenyl should be done carefully and read as much info as you can. Its a serious thing to mess around with MAO's. and over 5mg i have had issues with the HCl version. citrate one was always better the one from mexico.

.I just tried this stupid as PEA shit, and it sucks.. i took 1.5 grams and omg this is not a good feeling at all.. Its not bad = but it no where neear fun...

5mins later...well im glad that shits over with lol (i made a few spelling mistakes too... weird)( BP feels high as hell too!)