• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

**an Open Forum - Suggestions Anyone? Now open! Tell us what you think!**

What do you think of Aus Social; in it's current state.

• So much fun, I love posting here.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • It's ok, there is some good content

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Don't really think about it.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Repetitive and boring

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I'm only here right now on pain of death.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
I've only started getting into Bluelight in a big way recently and from what i've noticed clientele numbers have dropped of increasingly, especially since my peak posting period in 04-05. I don't know if this is just coincidence but from some of the posts i've read, other people are feeling the same thing. So... What is it that everyone wants from this forum? Is the discussion boring? The threads not stimulating? Do some of you not really mind at all? If you have any constructive criticism, (please keep insults to yourselves) this is your chance to to voice so we can gauge what everyone wants.

TaTa.

Hey endless,

Cgrats on the modship again :)

I wouldnt say there is anything generally wrong with this forum. BUT...in MY opinion (and i speak for myself) i find the content rather repeatative. Particularly in Aus Soc.

What is it that everyone wants from this forum?
- Me personally...i would like to see less bullcrap threads that are the same..yet different. Id like to see more interaction within threads and more threads that arent just one worded replies or one sentence repetative thoughts from BLer after BLer. More thoughtfull and thought out threads that require in depth answers.

Is the discussion boring?
- Yes and no. I can not come into BL for two weeks and the same discussion is either still going round in circles or there is nothing new to discuss. It does have its highlights which I do enjoy.

The threads not stimulating? - I get more whats making you smile and frown from reading Cleo...that sums it up.

Do some of you not really mind at all? - Not really. As BL is something I dont revolve around. But one can see people getting bored with BL so they move on. Thus numbers dwindle.

Glad you're a mod endless!!

I think the forum is boring and repetitive in some ways, basically because most disagreements get cut short. Okay, trolling is one thing, and I do agree that it is pretty pointless.

But I absolutely hate it when a good heated discussion gets the chop, as it's always those threads that attract a lot of traffic on bluelight. From this, one could logically conclude that these debates are popular and/or interesting to the majority of users.

So yeah, I think mods can sometimes censor discussion without real necessity. Sure, there are forums that sensitivity are more important - such as SLR or The Dark Side, but in Aus Social we're rarely talking about personal issues. We're talking about the government, or the news, or just general shit. Heated disputes and vast differences of opinions on these topics are valuable, imo.

endless, I just want to say that you were a great choice for mod :) They really knew what they were doing when they picked you. If and when I have something good to contribute to this forum I will.

I think the fact that this thread exists is already proof positive that the forum will probably head back in the right direction.

Over the past few months there was an unusually high rate of deleted posts (which, as a side note, is really annoying - just edit the post and remove the offending sentence) surrounding conversations that were had in threads. There is only one other time period, around when I first started posting, in which a mod was as heavy handed with their control of how a discussion went and it sucks. At the end of the day, the 'BLUELIGHT IS NOT A DEMOCRACY' mantra is true in theory but in practice it just makes Bluelight somewhere you don't want to come back to.

Heated discussion is interesting and keeps people coming back. When you censor everything that is said, you get a whole lot of bland threads/posts about shit noone cares about. I think if discussion is opened up a little more, the forum will naturally produce more controversial and interesting discussions.

I think the current mods are exactly what this forum needed. At the end of the day though, the thing that brought most of us here - harm minimisation - seems to be low on the priority list of a lot of the 16-24 year olds out there, which may explain why there also hasn't been all that much new blood coming through.

In summation: I guess what I'm asking is, if I call preacha a dirty slag don't edit that shit. I've met the guy and he totally is.

Agreed with the sentiments regarding deleted posts. This is something that has frustrated me to no end in the past, and could be one of the reasons why I found myself coming here less and less.

And me too. And Im not talking about the personal attacks on things that have occurred outside of bluelight, Im talking about words that are shared on the board in regards to discussions started on the board. Personal attacks to do with issues you have with people IRL have no place here, but telling someone I think their opinions are fucked up (and sometimes I shouldnt even have to articulate why ! I should be given the choice whether or not reply ) or whatever, as long as its relating to discussion here, I dont see the problem. Heavy handed modship has its day and its about time we were allowed to say how to feel not just feel what we say ! Or something like that. I mean the mods are basically determining whose opinions they feel are the least offensive and allowing only those opinions to be aired, also I know of a few of the last moderators also not so transparently allowed their own personal feelings and opinions determine what was acceptable discussion... um, but this is as far away from democratic expression as I understand it. Also its my experience when people who have differing opinions to yourself and others, that your own ideas and opinions can more often than not be given an opportunity to be properly articulated. WHAT IM SAYING IS , is that sometimes you need the rain to come and wash away the mud, instead of hiring professional cleaners, you with me ?

Last edited:
BREAKaBEAT said:
...but telling someone I think their opinions are fucked up (and sometimes I shouldnt even have to articulate why ! I should be given the choice whether or not reply )...

This is disagree with, because anyone can say your opinion is retarded or whatever. But to say why, creates healthy debate as long as it's not a personal attack but structured as to why you disagree with a users point of view.

I dont think its contructive in the slightest, but I also im also pretty sure I dont see why it should be censored. This is merely a mute point, and my post more relates to the people who do offer somewhat constructive , critical and differing views to most others that are currently under the seize of Chinese government censorship laws... errr I mean Aus Soc mods ;)

I think Banjo is the new cowbell......

More Banjo!!!!

banjo.jpg

eggman88888 said:
Definately needs more cowbell ;)
^Bad spelling makes Aus. Social users something-something.

I like what you're trying to do here E_e, but being the jaded and cynical old-timer I am, I'm going to repeat the age-old adage: be the change you want to see.
You don't like the threads on offer, make some stimulating ones. We're the users and contributers here guys. We're responsible for what is a popular topic and what isn't.

Quit your complaining and do something. /Steps off soap-box balancing on walking frame and massages cod-liver-oil into arthritic joints. ;)

I have added this thread as a permanent "sticky". The purpose of this thread is for users to voice their opinions and suggestions about how this forum is run and any important issues that need to be raised. Complaints about me or any other moderators please keep to P.Ms and always remember to avoid insulting anyone. I know it can be frustrating at times, especially when it seems your opinions are not being heard, but try to be as objective as possible! :)

As always, love your work EE. Huge kudos for asking

People want 'safe' stimulation. In a forum where noone is gambling sheep stations it means they will look for emotional extremes: argument, shock, scandal, and pushing acceptable boundaries. In order to be safe no one wants to be insulted and they dont want to be associated with something that they consider amoral (ie. racicism/sexist/etc remarks)

The deleted posts are the most entertaining. But I think it should be accessible in a 'wall of shame' thread where the stupid people get their posts read by everyone (live and learn kids)*. Of course if a post has personal information then it should not be aired for the general public

* dont the mods have this already?

The Worst of Bluelight was recently renamed the Realm of Epic Fail. Who says admins don't have a sense of humour.

As for something constructive, I echo Yarni's and to a lesser extent Mel's thoughts back up there^^. If you're going to edit and/or delete things, you should be held accountable since essentially moderating is serving the community. People learn from their mistakes. I have no doubt the new moderators will help move the annual 'bluelight is so lamez0r' phase over really quickly. Or perhaps, we will skip it all together this year.

Kudos EE.

up all night said:
In summation: I guess what I'm asking is, if I call preacha a dirty slag don't edit that shit. I've met the guy and he totally is.

Posts like these keep me coming back to Bluelight, so already a great start in bringing back old posters.