• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What religion most reflects your views: Belief-O-Matic Quiz with poll (updated)

Choose your favourite belief or religion

• Agnosticism

Votes: 114 17.0%
  • Atheism

Votes: 124 18.5%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 129 19.3%
  • Christianity

Votes: 74 11.1%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Pagan & Earth-Based

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • Taoism

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Other belief

Votes: 89 13.3%

• Total voters
To me, beliefs aren't what is important. What is important to me is choices and actions. Now choices need to be aware, but beliefs aren't necessarily a way to be aware.

In fact, beliefs are more or less a cheap cognitive shortcut for filtering and generalizing experience. For example, suppose I meet some new person, who is of a certain gender, is dressed a certain way, talks a certain way, is of a certain race, etc. etc. Now in my mind I have all these past experiences with people of that gender, people who talk that way, people dressed in that way, and people of that race, etc. etc. What am I doing? Forming stereotypes? Then I'm just seeing the person in front of me through my prejudices, instead of experiencing that person for who that person is. Thats what beliefs can do.

And the worst beliefs are the ones that I like. You know, the ones that fill me with faith, happiness, self esteem, joy, etc. Why are they the worst beliefs? Becuase they're addictive. Because I want to keep believing them. So when new experience comes in that contradicts these beliefs, well, I just have to rationalize that new experience in a way that fits into my beliefs. So awareness gets filtered, blinded by belief. And blind awareness leads to blind choice.

So looking at it that way your question "what is my favorite belief" amounts to "what belief do I like the most" and since the beliefs I like the most are the ones that blind me the most, your question amounts to "what belief blinds me the most", or perhaps "what is your favorite colour blindfold"? And the answer to me is that a blindfold is a blindfold. They're all the same :)

the test thinks im a christian fucking scientist!!
thats so far from the truth its silly.

my main belief (or valuable piece of knowledge) - TIME IS MOTION.

I think you need to be more specific. The beliefs in several religions are barely represented (christianity, islam, etc).

IMO Hinduism represents the Self more than any other of the altruistic garbage I've seen..

Islam

Cuz their fundamentalists are usually much more entertaining than Christian fundamentalists.

for myself, i'd say nihilism, since i've been falling back into that comfy belieflessness lately

I run by my own belief system that goes like this: its too hard to do anything more than exist even if you try.

Buddhism on the lead , thats pretty cool : ) 28 votes 19.31%

Atheism, because its the only religion that doesn't have any b.s in it, and I prefer to beleive in nothing strongly than either believe in a religion strongly with alot of b.s, or self indulge by beleiving in something that is supposed to be the total truth but only partly beleive in it.

Belief's poll

I definitely head towards pagan - earthbound beliefs but that is where it ends. I believe in giving back to the earth what we take and same goes for people. I don't think I have to meet with a group one or two times a week to be a good person or to give back - I do this on my own.

agnostic........unless god wants 2 appear at my front door oneday wiv a miracle
i was brought up in a fundy chrstian family and its the religion i understand the most but i dont necessarily believe it

I have taken this many times over the years and it is almost always 100% liberal quaker. The funny thing is, I thought this last time, I had changed quite a bit since my last time I took it about a year ago. guess not.

I didn't know anythign about quakers before taking this a few years back. I assumed it was a rigid, dogmatic, strict fundie type belief

Christian Soldier said:
Why did you use it if you know your own beliefs?

for fun.

It isn't as though some fucking internet game dictates your spirituality for christs sake, it is just a game.

prime example, it always says I am a quaker. One problem, quakers are christian, and i am not.

oops.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (88%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (87%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (83%)
5. Neo-Pagan (81%)
6. New Age (79%)
7. Secular Humanism (72%)
8. Theravada Buddhism (72%)
9. New Thought (70%)
10. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (63%)
11. Scientology (60%)
12. Taoism (59%)

I would hardly consider myself christian, but looks about right otherwise =D

I pretty much feel agnostic about my beliefs...not only dont know for sure but I dont really believe its my place to know for sure. But if I had to pick one of those Id pick taoism. I consider that more a philosophy though.

I have alot of respect for buddhism, although i am not a buddist. I would say that I dont know what I am really. I guess you could say I make it up as I go. I am still looking for something to believe in.

Personally i don't have a religion but i find many religious concepts interesting.
Particularly ,zoroastrian, early christian, buddhism, and pagan.
zophen.

I would have to put mine down under a new name, seeing I don't think my religion has been named. I 'll call it "Irrelavantism" (c) :p I'm not just making this up, this is what I truly believe. Regardless of whether a God, bunch of lucky chemical reactions, or the fate of a pre-ordained but meaningless explosion at the beggining of what we call time, the complete individualality that we all possess through both our physical and mental evolution allows us to create whatever meaning we want for ourselves. The concepts of a God, of fate, of chance and of absolute truth's are irrelevant if we do in fact possess this individuality. And while I'll admit that its possible we are all simply the dream of one singular conciousness, this would only be relevant to that consciousness, as a God's existance would only be relevant to that God and fate's existance would only be relevant to it's initial starting point. To the human consciousness, or at least to myself, anything but it's (my) own existance is not nessecary to be interacted with, enjoyed, experienced, and grown/evolved from.

I guess at the center of my beliefs is the idea of understanding what I believe in, and believing in what I understand. Apart from this I believe there is no such thing as an absolute truth, including my own religion, and that more important that finding an answer is asking the question. There are questions we don't know the answers to, but as soon as we answer them, they will only create more questions. It is these questions that help humanity to evolve, and I believe that evolution is the whole point of the existance of life. Well, maybe it's not the point, just the outcome, but either way, it is in my opinion a damn good reason to exist.

Oh, and yes, I'm coining that name as soon as I write a book, so don't steal it irrelevantdamnit.

So believe what you want, but if you don't understand what you believe, what's the point. Unless, I guess, you want to believe in something than can be used against you, and then go for it. I know I'll never be a terrorist, and I'm pretty sure no one could use my belief's against me. Shit, perhaps I'm just scared of being used, or beaten by my own words... now I have to go meditate on this, thanx alot stupid forum, making me think, question myself, and possibly evolve. I wanted to stay ignorant and stupid (and yes the two ARE different).

Last edited:
1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (94%)
3. Neo-Pagan (93%)
4. Reform Judaism (92%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (89%)
6. New Age (83%)
7. Mahayana Buddhism (79%)
8. Bahá'í Faith (76%)
9. New Thought (72%)
10. Sikhism (67%)
11. Scientology (65%)
12. Theravada Buddhism (64%)
13. Hinduism (61%)
14. Orthodox Judaism (60%)
15. Jainism (55%)
16. Orthodox Quaker (52%)
17. Secular Humanism (52%)
18. Islam (52%)
19. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (50%)
20. Taoism (48%)
21. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (37%)
22. Seventh Day Adventist (35%)
23. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (33%)
24. Nontheist (28%)
25. Jehovah's Witness (26%)
26. Eastern Orthodox (26%)
27. Roman Catholic (26%)

Very fitting, considering I'm already a Liberal Quaker.