• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What religion most reflects your views: Belief-O-Matic Quiz with poll (updated)

Choose your favourite belief or religion

• Agnosticism

Votes: 114 17.0%
  • Atheism

Votes: 124 18.5%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 129 19.3%
  • Christianity

Votes: 74 11.1%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Pagan & Earth-Based

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • Taoism

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Other belief

Votes: 89 13.3%

• Total voters
I scored highest on the Buddhism. I've always thought was really interesting, religion isn't really important to me though..

1. Neo-Pagan 100%
2. Mahayana Buddhism 89%
3. New Age 83%
4. Unitarian Universalism 83%
5. Hinduism 77%
6. Sikhism 74%
7. Reform Judaism 70%
8. Liberal Quakers 69%

Test seems accurate to me.

18% Catholic..... Went to catholic school 6-12 go figure.

I am agnostic, however I know what makes sense to me. If that makes sense
I have my beliefs but if somebody said they knew the absolute truth and asked me place a 1 dollar wager on me being right, I wouldn't take it.

Heres my poll results

1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. New Age (96%)
3. Neo-Pagan (95%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (90%)
5. Unitarian Universalism (88%)
6. Taoism (88%)
7. Liberal Quakers (80%)
8. New Thought (78%)
9. Hinduism (73%)
10. Scientology (72%)

OK maybe I'm going nuts here, but as I'm seeing this poll voted on and bumped, it almost seems to me that supporters of the first three choices are engaged in a slow and subtle game of oneupsmanship, and the only other category that ever gets any votes is 'Other Belief'.

Kind of like exactly what goes on at any meeting of semi-intelligent people who meet under the banner of 'humanism'.

Jamshyd said:
^ Indeed, a lot of non-social scientists whom I met in Japan seem to not realize at all the effect that Shinto has on almost every aspect of "secularized" Japanese life. As for militant hindus, I was unaware of how much emphasis they put on religion, thanks for clarifying.

I forgot to comment on Wahhabism. I honestly have no idea where that came out of, although I suspect it has something to do with (as you have suggested) oil power. Wahhabis are everything bad you ever heard about Islam, and more. They are also the most staunch opposers of anything remotely esoteric (I assume, because no matter how powerful/rich a ruler gets, he cannot control what goes on underground).

I am not sure just how easy it would be to unite everyone. Theoretically, Suni and Shi'a have coexisted peacefully since the caliphate. Iraq seems to disagree. So does Lebanon (as if Christian-Muslim conflicts were not enough), and so do Syria and Iran. The list goes on. While growing up in Jordan I've never personally witnessed conflicts between Sunnis and Shi'a, I did notice the extreme absence of Shi'a. I've heard about those slightly heretical people but I never met them. It seems that, like homosexuality, Shi'a is such taboo in Suni society that they simply aren't brought up. For all intents and purposes, neither one is Muslim in the eyes of the other.

I watched a low key documentary about Iraq's first heavy metal band and the lead singer said the "conflict" between Suni and Shi'a is completely fabricated. He said he was Suni and his wife was Shi'a and both their families get along and such.

Here's a link to a short clip with them. The documentary "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" is pretty interesting. Shows things from the side of the Iraqi's who don't really give a fuck about any of the political or religious stuff and just want to play some heavy metal. Something I think a lot of American's should see as I imagine their image of Iraqis are people riding camels to their mosque so they can plan terrorist attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT5ZuXqZ6pw

Last edited:
I could not understand as a child what the difference between the other kids who believed in santa, which I did not, and adults believing in god.

The only explanation my father, a behavioural scientist, could come up with was that for non-academics and non-scientists acknowledging the void in our knowledge is frightening and rather than accepting what is not known and seeking real answers it is easier to just make something up that sounds good.

Not knowing is hard, and not knowing when one has no real tools to find out is harder.

But remember these simple rules and you can make it with out resorting to fairy tales.

--
1) Use what rules you hold to prove what you have reasoned or observed.

2) If the rules allow a contradiction to be derived, then you must reassess your rules and remove and/or revise those which allow this contradiction. In any complex system this will be a constant effort.

3) It does not matter who you are, what degrees you have, or how nice the ideas involved in the contradiction are.

4) Don't add things which do not need to be there. Remember for the supernatural to exist there would be arbitrary events. I.E. events without cause and effect. There are not any.

5)This is why ideals never hold true, and always cause problems.

“There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them. ”
Werner Heisenberg

I got 100% on secular humanism.

As for religion, I have no preferences in it whatsoever. If God/afterlife/religion exists, I feel like I couldn't possibly understand it, so I just don't take any approach. I share a lot of beliefs with nihilism, and I strongly believe that there is no correct morality.

Secular Humanism. As I figured.

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Nontheist (97%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (94%)
5. Liberal Quakers (60%)
6. Neo-Pagan (53%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (43%)
8. Taoism (36%)
9. New Age (32%)
10. New Thought (30%)

Heh...but it's a 'no-religion religion'! ;)
To be a bit cheeky, if I were drawn to the Middle Eastern monothestic god (y'know, the one that preoccupies Jews, Xians, and Muslims), I'd probably go with Islam. Might as well get the latest word on what's going on with that deity, y'know? ;) A case could be made for Mormonism, but (mainstream) Mormons fail to recognize that Jews, Xians, and Muslims worship the same entity. Perhaps there's a newer, more esoteric faith that I'm forgetting here. . .

ebola
ebola

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (85%)
3. Reform Judaism (82%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (73%)
5. Baha'i Faith (73%)
6. Orthodox Quaker (68%)
7. Neo-Pagan (61%)
8. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (61%)
9. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (60%)
10. Sikhism (58%)

I'm not terribly surprised.

WHY? bcause think about it....we have evolved because of our imagination..when we were monkeys..we were imagening ourselves as humans...

and now that we are humans...we are imagening ourselves as those thin, green looking with big eyes and big heads so called "aliens" when in fact it could likely be us in the future...with the means to survive in space and withstand zero gravity and move on into space

I chose christian, as I am Mormon which is a christian denomination. I find religion very interesting, and have tweaked my views a little bit dif. than that of a traditional mormon. I find that all religions have essentially the same message and values. I believe that no matter how dif. our religions and beliefs are that there is one higher power or being, that I simply like to call God. It works for me very well, if you have found something that better suits you, more power to you!

1. New Thought - 100%
2. Mahayana Buddhism - 98%
3. Neo-Pagan - 98%
4. Unitarian Universalism - 98%
5. New Age - 96%
6. Liberal Quakers - 89%
7. Taoism - 88%
8. Scientology - 85%
9. Christian Science - 82%
10. Mainline Liberal Christian Protestants - 81%

still none seem to fit me like a glove, the new thought thing is relatively close though

Last edited:
Beleifnet results

My beleifnet quiz has me as:
1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (94%)
3. Secular Humanism (87%)
4. Taoism (85%)
5. Mahayana Buddhism (83%)

I don't even know what Unitarian Universalism is. I'll have to do some research on it. And I'm actually Jewish, but that came much farther down on my list.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (96%)
3. Secular Humanism (89%)
4. Neo-Pagan (85%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (80%)
7. Mahayana Buddhism (75%)
8. Taoism (71%)
9. New Age (65%)
10. Reform Judaism (63%)

What Religion are you REALLY??

My Philosophy Professor had us take this during World Religions class because you may actually believe differently than what your Faith or Sect holds as its doctrines, you also may be closer to certain religions that you didnt know based on mutual beliefs, many religions have the same views on certain aspects of God, e.g. the trinity or god speaking the universe into existence with a Word.

One thing, when it gives your percentages it means that according to your beliefs, you believe __% of their doctrines, you can believe against a MAJOR tenet of the faith that would definitely keep you away from it but you may happen to hold the same beliefs in other areas.

Anyways, its interesting to find out, make sure to read the inormation AFTER you get your results, ithelps clarify.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx