• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Valium *Recreational* Dosage

archduke

Bluelighter
I'll probably get a UTFSE for this, but I just can't seem to get a clear answer. Erowid reports have been of some help, but they don't really cover the type of situation I'm thinking.

What is a good, recreational dose of diazepam? I tried 10 mg the other day and it just made me feel a little relaxed and drunk...but it wasn't that great. Maybe I passed out too soon.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking 20 mg tonight at a local rock show/party situation, but I mean: am I going to be stumbling around uncontrollably? Can an inexperienced benzo user walk down the street on that kind of dose without getting a public intoxication charge? (And for that matter, would live music on Valium be any fun to most people anyway?)

30mg is excessive.

20mg is a little on the excessive side, but not much. It's easy to induce a tolerance by taking too much.

You ought not to expect "something great" from benzos.

For someone without tolerance, I'd say 15mg is the maximum (I agree with Ham). Anything above that and you'll probably find yourself just falling asleep.

Also, I don't think benzos are particularly well-suited for concerts, but whatever floats your boat :)

ps. All benzos cause accute-tolerance, meaning if you dose the next few days, it will never be as good as the first time no matter how high your dose. You should wait a few days before trying again.

don't mix with booze at your gig... personnallly i'd rather take a few valiums when i'm home and can just chil/sit down somewhere cosy... i wouldn't recommend a concert on valium for someone with not much tolerance to it...

my 0.2

BeenArrested4Pot said:
all kappyness aside, your gonna need at least 20-25 mg to have fun, that was my starting dose.
No offense, but this is very bad advice.

Remember that Harm Reduction is the main purpose of BL. Telling someone to take 25mg of Valium (a very high dose by ANY standard) for their first time is simply wrong.

archduke said:
What is a good, recreational dose of diazepam? I tried 10 mg the other day and it just made me feel a little relaxed and drunk...but it wasn't that great. Maybe I passed out too soon.

The recreational effects of Diazepam consist of 'relaxation, intoxicating effects similar to alcohol consumption, sedation & drowsiness'. So if you didn't enjoy the effects then there is no reason for you to try a higher dose. Taking a higher dose is just going to increase those effects and you'll possibly just pass out sooner. What sort of recreational effects were you expecting?

Benzodiazepines aren't really recreational (especially Diazepam). IMO Not much euphoria is induced when taking benzos, with the exception of Xanax and Temazepam. Relaxation and passing out comfortably is the desired effect. Benzos are only recreational when taken in combination with other substances, opiates and other CNS depressants in particular. They are also effective for stimulant comedowns or in combination with high doses of amphetamines to control the undesirable side effects.

But if you insist on attempting to chase a 'high' then take an extra 10mg your next intake. Have fun passing out! ;)

heh, funny this just came up i recently got a script for diazepam but havnt taken it yet as... would 5-10mg cut the anxiety?

concerts and benzos

archduke said:

QUOTE]
your answer is in the question..."maybe I passed out too soon" benzo's are not what ' I ' consider ot be a party or concert drug. their great if you want to be 'out of it' but into it, at home on your couch or bed (or someone else's)...I find pillheads at concerts annoying...bangin into everybody and being stupider than usual.

LiLc said:
heh, funny this just came up i recently got a script for diazepam but havnt taken it yet as... would 5-10mg cut the anxiety?
what anxiety is that?

im fucking kidding buddy ! this post has been made 30203402 times cut the crap!

masonyoung said:
what anxiety is that?

Thats a good question because Diazepam isn't so much prescribed for anxiety that much anymore. I "was" (emphasize "was" because I'm not anymore) a doctor shopper with most intentions of obtaining benzos & from what they say, its not the doctor's preferred benzodiazepine of choice for anxiety disorders. With the development of more effective benzos like alprazolam, clonazepam, & even lorazepam, Diazepam isn't much prescribed for anxiety anymore. Clonazepam is the benzo of choice for social anxiety (social phobia) & for severe cases of O.C.D. Alprazolam is the most prescribed for panic disorders, specific phobias and for short term use in generalized anxiety until the SSRI medication kicks in. For anticipated anxiety lorazepam is usually the benzo of choice for prescribing. Diazepam is usually just administered for alcohol withdrawals, muscle tension/pain, post-operative surgery and on rarer occasions insomnia

well he didn't react too badly to 10 mg. what's wrong with taking 20 mg? you really think its that dangerous? i doubt hes gonna fall asleep at a concert even on 2 whole valium or *gasp* 25 mg.

^ It might not be immediately dangerous but it is the principal behind it. BL is not a "how do I get most fucked up?" site. Its main aim is harm reduction. Therefore as a rule of thumb, one must recommend the minimum dose.

Besides, as many people above indicated, taking unnecessarily high doses of benzos produces tolerance and increases their negative effects.

If one isn't driving or other tasks that get dangerous when you are mentally loose, the big risks from benzos are disinhibition and amnesia. I've never blacked out from alcohol, but I have from benzos. For me a hours long gap in my memory causes some panic when I come to. Disinhibition can be wonderful, but sometimes with terrible consequences. Alcohol + Benzos =risks much enhanced. Also, with huge amounts could bring respiratory depression, coma, etc. Infrequent low dose usage lets benzos stay useful and low problem.

Don't forget about potential addiction if you find you're using often.

Personally, 3-5 10mg blues. Thats just me though, fucking Mexico.

Seeing he handled 10 mg just fine I still wouldn't call 20 mg "very bad advice". On top of that he has *Recreation* starred in the title of the thread. I'm all for harm reduction but come on 15 mg is perfectly fine advice and 20 mg is "very bad advice"? If you say so... 8)