• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

clonazepom WD's.. experienced

thugpassion said:
My friends brother was on a couple mgs of klonopin and his Dr. took him off abruptley. He had a siezure wile he was surfing and drowned. That was him, not everybody. I personley have gone on binges of 4-5mgs of clonzopam, and 4mgs of alprazolam aday for a month or so at a time and lowered my use and quit in a week, not to say that I was comfortable though. I think it depends on your threshold and tollerance, etc. Not to say that posibilety of siezure isnt there, but is it likley to happen with only 3mgs..............probley not.

but it could and that's why i think everyone should taper, even at low doses. my only point was that if you took a group of healthy people and made them withdraw from 2 or 3 mg benzo habits, or alcohol habits, some of them might have seizures, some of them might have delerium tremens or whatever its called and some of them might actually die. but, if i had to put money on it, i would wager that the majority of them would survive it, even if it was extremely unpleasant.

clonazepom said:
Just quick question about anyone whos been through benzo withdrawals, especially clonazepam.

Im on 3mg day (0,5mg tabs)

I been wanting off this shit for long time but theres always something that stops me like starting job etc.. Give in during wds and so on...

Now that I have lots spare time (dont know how long but I'd guess 2-4 weeks before starting job again)

if I start reducing my dose tomorrow by 1 pill per day (0,5mg) for 6 days.
Im safe as in seizure risk and stuff?
How long will I be Wd's?

I dont wanna go through long drawn withdrawals just quick 6 day detox then feel like piece of shit anxieous and panicy for hopefully not longer than month?

and what its like going through benzo wds in full? People here tend to say its worse than heroin wds but I dont know. I have ever only been through horrible xanax withdrawal for 2-3 days before I got script for this. and I dont remember much of those few days because I was pretty much unconsious all the time.

Honest question... why do you find yourself wanting to taper off/quit, is it because you don't like the idea of a perpetual dependency, or is it making your life miserable in some way? If it is, can you please let me know how, so that I can be enlightened? I have a budding dependency on this stuff myself and would like to know how it has made your life worse, rather than better.

i enjoy stuff said:
Honest question... why do you find yourself wanting to taper off/quit, is it because you don't like the idea of a perpetual dependency, or is it making your life miserable in some way? If it is, can you please let me know how, so that I can be enlightened? I have a budding dependency on this stuff myself and would like to know how it has made your life worse, rather than better.

there are few reasons... mainly because I have been on benzos for over year now like I said above, xanax,oxazepam and now clonazepam. I dont want to be so depended on benzos anymore. I dont wanna wake up every morning and feel the need to take pills to function normally. another reason is that I tend to take over the 3mg-dose whenever I have something serious things to do then have less until next refill. you get the point?

GenericMind said:
You'll experience some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms from tapering that fast, but you're not really at much risk for seizures and definitely not death. If you have the option, try lowering your dose to zero over the course of a couple weeks instead of days. Do 2mg for a week, 1mg for half a week, 0.5mg for half a week, then nothing. Something like that. If you try to quit completely in 6 days you're definitely not going to feel like starting a new job anytime soon.

After reading all this and thinking of it I decided to start cutting the dose by 1mg today (2mg/day) and from tomorrow I'll take even 1 pill less. so thats only 1,5mg day and keep it on that for few weeks and see how Im. If I feel I could use less then I keep tapering slowly from the 1,5mg. (3x 0,5mg day) Then 2x 0,5mg and so.

and thanks everyone for helping :)

Have you talked to your M.D about wanting to get off the medication He could prolly help you out even more and set up a step down schedule to help you...

Maybe prescribe you some clonidine to help with W.D.....

Who know just be honest with your M.D

clonazepom said:
there are few reasons... mainly because I have been on benzos for over year now like I said above, xanax,oxazepam and now clonazepam. I dont want to be so depended on benzos anymore. I dont wanna wake up every morning and feel the need to take pills to function normally. another reason is that I tend to take over the 3mg-dose whenever I have something serious things to do then have less until next refill. you get the point?
Yeah, I do. Kinda scares the shit out of me as well. Taking it as directed is a daily struggle. I can see why someone would get fed up with it. I just... never functioned normally without them, so it's kind of a catch .22 for me... I know the hell I'm in for if I ever decide to taper off. One's own benzo usage gets to be a source of anxiety in itself, as far as maintaining the dosage you're supposed to be on, and things like that. It can make a person miserable. I think it's anyone's prerogative to trade their pre-existing set of problems for set of another sort, but overall, I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I've "had enough".

But I empathize, I really do.

THIS IS, HANDS DOWN, THE MOST EFFECTIVE MANUAL I HAVE EVER, EVER used when it came to getting off od the most gripping of all grippers, that being Alprazolam, at nearly 14mg per day, for 3 years. It took me 6 months to get off the Xanax, then, another 6 to get off the valium, but I babied it a bit, just didnt want to slip up, and end up in a nasty net again!! And you know whats strange, I was given a shot of alprazolam during a panic attack, and wasnt aware that theyd given it to me, and it made me REALLY REALLY SICK, and made my panic attack escalate to the point where I nearly passed out!! So, dunno what thats all about, but I cant even TOUCH the xan now! Just clonaz, val, and flunitraz, etc. Anyway, for those looking for the BEST, most COMPREHENSIVE manual ever!! Walks you through every step, costs NO MONEY, and this woman knows far more than most americandoctors I have researched on the subject of benzo addiction and withdrawl.

The website is; http://www.bcnc.org.uk/manual.html

Hope it helps those who ned them help I sure did at one point!!! I was WAAAYYYYY OUT THERE!!!.... (didnt think I was ever comin back!!!)

PEACE!!! ~Z~

zuvuya4 said:
THIS IS, HANDS DOWN, THE MOST EFFECTIVE MANUAL I HAVE EVER, EVER used when it came to getting off od the most gripping of all grippers, that being Alprazolam, at nearly 14mg per day, for 3 years. It took me 6 months to get off the Xanax, then, another 6 to get off the valium, but I babied it a bit, just didnt want to slip up, and end up in a nasty net again!! And you know whats strange, I was given a shot of alprazolam during a panic attack, and wasnt aware that theyd given it to me, and it made me REALLY REALLY SICK, and made my panic attack escalate to the point where I nearly passed out!! So, dunno what thats all about, but I cant even TOUCH the xan now! Just clonaz, val, and flunitraz, etc. Anyway, for those looking for the BEST, most COMPREHENSIVE manual ever!! Walks you through every step, costs NO MONEY, and this woman knows far more than most americandoctors I have researched on the subject of benzo addiction and withdrawl.

The website is; http://www.bcnc.org.uk/manual.html

Hope it helps those who ned them help I sure did at one point!!! I was WAAAYYYYY OUT THERE!!!.... (didnt think I was ever comin back!!!)

PEACE!!! ~Z~

Ah, Dr. Heather Ashton, I agree that this would be a good read for the OP.

burn out said:
i know about pubmed and i have read the case report on alprazolam you posted before. from my research, death from benzodiazepine withdrawal is a relatively rare occurance. i never disputed the fact that it can occur, i disputed your claim that dropping down from 3 mg to .5 mg of clonazepam a day will almost certainly kill you. i don't advise it, but if i had to put money on it i would wager that the great majority of people (or at least a majority) would survive it.

And why do you think that death from abrupt benzo withdrawal is a rare occurrence? Because they likely receive help before they die. As I said earlier, I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest with you over your "research," and since most of your conclusions are just speculation without any medical facts, but how about this: you take 3mg a Klonopin a day for a year, and then abruptly taper it by 0.5mg over six days. Since you're so sure it's not going to kill you, you should have no problems doing that, right? Surely you'd be willing to wager your life, given all of the "research" that you've done, right?

Last edited:
burn out said:
what's your problem dude? no one said it wasn't dangerous. and i didn't say my buddy quit with no problems, i said he didn't die. there is a huge difference. please don't put words in my mouth. in my first post, i said i did not advise it.

My problem is that every time somebody posts for help with benzodiazepines, there is always someone (or multiple people, most of whom have never taken a benzodiazepine or even understand how they work) who trivializes the dangers of abrupt withdrawal or just doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, when in fact benzodiazepines are very dangerous in withdrawal, even at the "small" dose of 3mg of Klonopin a day. Every time someone posts someone will always post some outlandish claim about a huge amount of benzos that they or their friend stopped cold turkey and was fine.

You just happened to be the person I lost patience with (which in fairness to you, may not have been appropriate), as I have already dealt with a kid who literally said I knew less about benzodiazepine withdrawal than he did because he watched his friend stop some Valium cold turkey--even though I am withdrawing from Valium right now and have been on various benzos for almost two years. This kid also made the huge mistake of quoting wikipedia word for word and pretending that he knew what he was talking about, which obviously I found out about. Further, given the lack of knowledge even in the medical community about benzodiazepine withdrawal and its dangers, reading BS on the internet that could kill someone only makes it worse.

I also don't believe your story about your "friend" who stopped 40mg of Klonopin cold turkey. If you can show me any type of legitimate medical study that shows that the majority of people who stop cold turkey from high doses of benzodiazepines survive without any medical intervention, or a case where a person stopped cold turkey from an equivalent of 40mg of Klonopin and lived without medical intervention, I will apologize to you. Until then, I don't believe a word you say about your "friend." BTW, this is what you said for your first response:

do you have any sources to back this up? my friend quit a 30-40 mg a day clonazepam habit cold turkey and he didn't die. not that i am recommending anyone try this, i am just skeptical that "a reduction of .5 mg a day from 3 mg a day will almost certainly leave you dead."

Nowhere do you mention either the dangers and risks of benzodiazepine withdrawal or talk about what problems your "buddy" went through during his withdrawal. So you asked me for a source and I gave it to you. Now it's your turn: find me a legitimate medical study/report that shows that there is little risk of death or seizures from an abrupt withdrawal of a high dose of a benozdiazepine after prolonged use. My study took less than 30 seconds to find. Let me know how long it takes you to find yours.

Ahh clonazepam... best benzo...

If you want to be functional (as in be able to work without pukin your guts out) you should taper down very slowly. It could take a month or two. Try 2.5mg for a week (or two depending on length of use), then the next weed (or two) go down to 2mg, then to 1.5mg and so on and so forth. Go as slowly as you need to. It's a chemical addiction, not just a habit anymore.

i don't have any sources to back this up, just a bit of experience.

BTW, Valium helps quit clonazepam, Valium = longer halflife = less likely to redose.

One more thing, if you're going the Valium route, just quit clonazepam while on it. And since youre doing clonazepam about 3mg/day try doing 4-5mg of Valium initial and taper down off that valium. It'll take longer than tapering off clonazepam but it's a lot less painful in the long run.

change to equivalent dose of diazepam and reduce 10% per week...

Don't worry

6mg total at.5mg clons,spreadout over 24 hours should not prduce and WD's, depends on lenght of usage. Klonopin has a long half life, so the weaning should be easiy. Don't let your nerves get to you A simple taper down program should make i easy. I have never had a problem with the clonz's or Val's. The key is choose your benzo wisely.(Long half-life No Xanax or ativan, Too short half life. Rex,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

gomakemeasandwich said:
And why do you think that death from abrupt benzo withdrawal is a rare occurrence? Because they likely receive help before they die. As I said earlier, I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest with you over your "research," and since most of your conclusions are just speculation without any medical facts, but how about this: you take 3mg a Klonopin a day for a year, and then abruptly taper it by 0.5mg over six days. Since you're so sure it's not going to kill you, you should have no problems doing that, right? Surely you'd be willing to wager your life, given all of the "research" that you've done, right?

what kind of messed up logic is that? even if there was no chance of dying, why would you suggest i would have no problems doing that wager? what would i stand to gain? usually wagers involve some type of incentive. plus it wouldn't even prove anything scientificially, since i'm only one person.

gomakemeasandwich said:
My problem is that every time somebody posts for help with benzodiazepines, there is always someone (or multiple people, most of whom have never taken a benzodiazepine or even understand how they work) who trivializes the dangers of abrupt withdrawal or just doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, when in fact benzodiazepines are very dangerous in withdrawal, even at the "small" dose of 3mg of Klonopin a day.

ok, well it's hardly my fault if someone other than me doesn't know what they're talking about.

Every time someone posts someone will always post some outlandish claim about a huge amount of benzos that they or their friend stopped cold turkey and was fine.

You just happened to be the person I lost patience with (which in fairness to you, may not have been appropriate), as I have already dealt with a kid who literally said I knew less about benzodiazepine withdrawal than he did because he watched his friend stop some Valium cold turkey--even though I am withdrawing from Valium right now and have been on various benzos for almost two years. This kid also made the huge mistake of quoting wikipedia word for word and pretending that he knew what he was talking about, which obviously I found out about. Further, given the lack of knowledge even in the medical community about benzodiazepine withdrawal and its dangers, reading BS on the internet that could kill someone only makes it worse.

I also don't believe your story about your "friend" who stopped 40mg of Klonopin cold turkey.

i don't particularly care whether or not you believe me. it happened though. he wasn't on them for that long, which is part of the reason i think he survived.

If you can show me any type of legitimate medical study that shows that the majority of people who stop cold turkey from high doses of benzodiazepines survive without any medical intervention, or a case where a person stopped cold turkey from an equivalent of 40mg of Klonopin and lived without medical intervention, I will apologize to you. Until then, I don't believe a word you say about your "friend." BTW, this is what you said for your first response:

Nowhere do you mention either the dangers and risks of benzodiazepine withdrawal or talk about what problems your "buddy" went through during his withdrawal. So you asked me for a source and I gave it to you. Now it's your turn: find me a legitimate medical study/report that shows that there is little risk of death or seizures from an abrupt withdrawal of a high dose of a benozdiazepine after prolonged use. My study took less than 30 seconds to find. Let me know how long it takes you to find yours.

you did not give me a proper source, nor is it "my turn" since the burden of proof is on you.

i am well aware of what i said in my first post. let me break it down for you.

you made a post with some good info which i didn't disagree with. however, i was skeptical about one thing you said (namely the fact that a fast taper from 3 mg of clonazepam a day will almost certainly kill you). i was skeptical of that because of the number of people ive seen on bluelight and in real life who have stopped similar, or even much larger benzo habits and haved survived. obviously there are no scientific studies where they give people ridiculous doses of benzos and then force them to withdraw to see what the actual death rate is. such studies would be insanely unethical, so it's absurd of you to ask me for a source.

i don't NEED to post sources to be skeptical. i reserve the right to be skeptical of the fact that a fast taper from 3 mg of clonazepam will almost certainly leave you dead. it certainly could kill you, but if i had to put money on it i'd guess that it wouldn't "almost certainly" kill you and a large percentage of people would survive.

Nowhere do you mention either the dangers and risks of benzodiazepine withdrawal

i said "i don't recommend anyone do this". that is all the mention i felt was needed, since you already covered the risks and there is plenty of information about them on the internet already. as long as i am not advocating anyone stopping benzos too quickly or cold turkey (which i certainly wasn't), i think i'm covered.

i was and am simply skeptical about one of the claims you made and you seem to have taken great offense to it. if you can straight up tell me you don't believe my story about my friend, then i don't see why it should bother you if i am skeptical about a claim you made, which has no scientific proof.

Update:
day0 3mg
day1 2mg
day2 1,5mg
day3 1,5mg
day4 1,5mg

I feel not so perfect.... would it be cheating to have few beer or strong alcohol drinks today as its friday?

You did not state how many pills you have left. Just use common sense and taper off as the amout of pills you have allows you.

clonazepom said:
Update:
day0 3mg
day1 2mg
day2 1,5mg
day3 1,5mg
day4 1,5mg

I feel not so perfect.... would it be cheating to have few beer or strong alcohol drinks today as its friday?

You halved your normal does in 3 days, that is a bit too quick. Make your taper more slowly and you won't need to cheat.

I have no desire to get off of klonopin, it seems to be the only thing that keeps me sane, but im wondering how can I avoid gaining a tolerance to it? I dont abuse it, im prescribed 1mg in the morning 1mg at night, but sometimes I only take .5 in the morning so im not too sedated to think at school and I never have any issues with w/d, and at night ive also taken .5 at times.
There are some days where I take .5 in the morning than decide later to take .5 in the evening and .5 before I sleep, but unless i feel absolutely unable to control my anxiety i avoid taking my full dosage. is this worse for my health to spread out dosages? I know that taking less cant INCREASE an addiction, but can varying dosage times and amounts cause any negative effect? (i seriously avoid abusing this drug, I never take more than 1mg within 12 hours from the last dose of 1mg (or sometimes 6-8 if it was only .5, totalling 1.5)

omg...whoever said withdrawals from a 2-4 week 3 mg/day clonazepam habit can kill someone is utterly delusional.

I have binged on far far more dangerous benzos (temazepam, alprazolam, and triazolam - all of which are short acting and are known to cause more serious addictions) for longer periods of time and never died getting off any of 'em.

seriously dude, find me one case of someone dying from klonopin withdrawals after 2-4 weeks. unheard of! In fact, try to find me a single case where this has happened with clonazepam...there are only a VERY VERY few benzos which have been documented to cause death during withdrawals (i know temazepam is one, and nitrazepam is another and alprazolam, triazolam and flutoprazepam).
FIVE benzos have only been documented to have caused death during withdrawals. In two of them (alprazolam and flutoprazepam), only 1 death for each has been documented! In the others, only a handful for each. Thats not all that many, considering the addiction rates for some of them.

Last edited: