• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

English Lit. ... probably a worthless degree, but at least I'm proving to someone that I can be educated ...

B.S. in Communication Studies- Human Services, minor in Sociology.

I also have an Associate's degree in Art and an Associate's degree in Social Science.

shannabanana said:
^^Cool. I figure to really get anywhere with psychology, I will need my masters and I'm just not up for much more school right now. So I will have social workers cert by this time next year (fingers crossed) and will be able to actually earn some money for awhile. I tentatively plan to get that masters later because I hear the burn out rate in social work is high.

I've been given the advice that a master's of psychology is a pretty poor degree to attain. A MSw takes the same amount of time and gives you far more flexibility in career options, and especially more ability to work within the public system. A master's of psych will not allow you to practice privately and be paid by a third party (ie = insurance). A Psy.D. or Ph.D. is really needed for that type of practice in clinical or counselling psychology unless you work under someone directly who has one of those degrees (such as in a hospital, etc.).

Also, I don't know where you live, but most states require you to have a MSw before becoming certified or licensed as a social worker. You can do social work without it, but at a much lower level and payscale, under the supervision of a licensed social worker or in a public setting as a rehabilitation counselor or one to one aid.

As for me, I am graduating in May with a major in psychology (concentration in clinical/counselling) and minors in philosophy and comparative religion (those two minors are very easy to work together in my school, especially since the religion/philosophy department is integrated).

I plan on working here in a school setting for a year or two, working nights at a local bar and saving my money. Then when my girlfriend graduates next year we are looking at moving to Vancouver and possibly attending the University of British Columbia. I want to get my MSw and eventually a Psy.D. but am a little hung up on money at the moment.

Anyways, good luck to everyone in their chosen fields and to my fellow seniors: don't fear the working world.... on second thought, fear it deeply!

MA in industrial engineering

the title sounds mechanical and cold - but really, IE's are concerned with the design, improvement, and installation of integrated systems of people, materials, equipment, information, and energy - i work with systems and try and look at the big picture of everything...

working on my b.a. in sociology, minor in criminology... then intend to work on m.a. in higher education admin

I want to get my MSw and eventually a Psy.D. but am a little hung up on money at the moment

Money is what has me now planning for how to start working sooner. Once I am earning even some money, I will look into getting the higher degrees. (Am from Vancouver - UBC is a great school.)

Electronics & Computer Technology with a concentration in Networking.

I graduated with a Liberal Arts & Commerce degree majoring in MassCommunication & Marketing Management.

Would like to take graphic design courses in future...but im still weighing my options right now ( in hindsight, procrastinating 8) ) and trying to put some semblance of order into my life first before i give further studies another shot. :eek:

Last edited:
fallenangel3433 said:
chemical engineering

(nerd alert.... lol)

You're not alone with that

Major: ChemE
Minor: Psychology

Possible Grad Degree - Neuropharmacology

My co-op jobs so far have all been at Chemical engineering jobs too...but I am in Pennsylvania and surrounded by pharmaceutical companies :/

The PsyD's are generally more expensive to get, due to the less attractive financial packages that are often offered. The same sort of goes for terminal masters programs :/ Shanna....if you want to do counseling type stuff, go for the msw or even a masters in a counseling psychology program. If you go back for a masters in psych after the msw, there aren't too many additional doors that it will open for you besides what you can do already :)

Masters in psych are a good option for people that are desiring to do work outside of the clinical psych area. People studying cognitive psych or applied behavior analysis are often able to find quite lucrative jobs with their masters degrees. :)

yay for all the psych people :)

thanks for the advice fizzy...I am really leaning towards focusing on social work now, I'm sure my zillion psyc credits won't hurt in that occupation.

Computer Science, once complete, I plan to get another degree, some type of engineering degree, or a chemistry degree.

Mechanical Engineering

I'd like to eventually work as Chief Engineer of Design at a major racing team, such as in Champ Cars or Formula 1, because motorsports is my true and only passion.