• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

I 'majored' in Process Systems Engineering specific to Chemical Engineering. Over here in Australia we do mostly fairly specific degrees with out all the general studies type stuff that you guys do over in the States...

I am currently doing a PhD in Chemical Engineering :) I started a couple of weeks ago and its going great :) How good is it to get paid to go to uni? Fucking fantastic is how good :)

CB :)

Wow Chemical Engineering, that's some good stuff there. Sounds like you've chosen a nice path for yourself :)
In australia, do people who graduate with certain qualifications feel like they are more forced to get a job in what they specialized in during school?

^^

It really depends on what you are doing. No-one is going to force you to do anything over here. If you feel like you want to go work in whatever, go for it, but yeah if you get the qualification most people do go and work in their field, at least for a few years :)

CB :)

i majored in music at a liberal arts college. right now i work as a temp and an SAT teacher. but i still play my cello almost every day and sing in the car!! :) i don't regret majoring in something unrealistic/ not career-related, because i had so many cool musical opportunities in college...
sometimes i do wish i had a more marketable skill, like engineering or law...
double majoring would have been the way to go, i guess. too bad i was a lazy ass in college!

^^ exactly. too bad i was a lazy-ass in college, and too bad i had my head stuck up my ass when my parents yelled at me for not doing enough.

i majored in and have a BA in psychology. i started off with every intention of a career in the FBI, so my initial major was criminal justice. after failing intro to criminology and making a D in sociology - both prerequisite courses, and in the same semester making a 100 in intro psych, i decided to continue where i was making the grade and that's how i ended up. i don't like making speeches or getting up in front of people, i also don't like having all eyes on me - in a group therapy type situation. so i knew well before i graduated that i was not going to be a psycholgist or a counselor. in fact, after considering several concentrations, i thought i would go to grad school for sport psychology. i love sports and i know psych, so that's what i should've done.

do i use my degree now? not in the slightest, unless you could say that i interact with some strange people every day and i have to deal with trying to get along with them! ;)

English Literature and Psychology, with a focus on Industrial/Organisational Psychology.

I never really used any of that directly, although I worked jobs where having a research background and being able to write coherently was a bonus. And I worked library jobs that had a connection to HR/ IO Psych, so my background was useful there.

Now i work as a librarian and I'm doing the professional library qualifications. So obviously what I'm studying is directly relevant to the work I do, and to the work I plan on doing.

elementary education

i just graduated in december, so i'm working as a substitute teacher in a couple of districts now. i love it, and i know i made the right decision career-wise. i'll probably teach in new york city in september, unless some amazing opportunity presents itself closer to my house.

B.A. in Psych with a Minor is Business from OSU.

Graduated a few months ago, working with specialized computer software, doing search engine optimization, a little marketing and making collection calls for a company that hired me because I know the owner.

Otherwise, Id be like my friends around here who have decent degrees but are making less than $9/hr, usually less than that, in something that was not near what they majored in, sometimes not even working full time.

Soon ill hopefully doing something I enjoy, a blend of Customer Service and inside Sales for a larger company, that promotes from within based on merit. Until then, ill settle for where I am now.

I use my Bus/Psy degree to some extent with marketing and talking to people I guess. I dont regret it though.

This economy sucks, F U Bush! =)

Computer Programming Graduate from Philadelphia University also N+ A+ Certified through Nueman Institute of Technology.... Currently waiting tables although by choice.....

I shouldve realized a helluva alot sooner that I love computers more as a hobby and not as a career... Will prolly go back to school. Right now while I am still kindof young I prefer waiting on tables.... It's very quick easy money sometimes ranging anywhere to $5.00 an hour to $40.00 an hour sometimes even more(made 14 thousand in one month(Christmas) in center city Philly 2 years ago(no I didnt stutter :) ) very much interested in Nuero Psycho Pharmacology/Therapy.....(sisters suffer from mental illness and I dunno listening to what they get prescribed left and right and with little or no effects I would like to either be able to come up with a new sort of Prozac for the chemically imbalanced or to at least prescribe it.... Even if I cant help my sisters I would certainly love to help someone who is like them!)

Sooner or later gonna start out slow and take some Psych courses at the local Community college! Wish me luck!

A bachelor of nursing for my first qualification - have worked as a registered nurse (all over the place!) for 6 years or so, a couple of years ago started a bachelor of psychology - decided I couldn't afford the $20,000 up front fee for my masters so am now doing my masters in rehabilitation counselling majoring in disability (no upfront fee and the closest thing to occupational therapy I can get without going back to uni for 4 years).

I am a total flake - have changed majors/courses a hundred times over the past few years since I left uni.

Will also be in debt for the rest of my life with HECS/student loans etc.

8)

Major: Political Science
Minors: Psychology & History

international studies, maybe minoring in french.