• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

I'm currently in my second year of an undergraduate degree, as of now a B.A. in psychology with a German minor, and would like to go to med. school after I graduate to study psychiatry.

I have a B.S in Law and Justice and a Minor in Math

Graduating next year with my M.S in Guidance Counseling

Doctorate: ????? That's still up in the air

I'm finishing up Philosophy at ucla in December. After, I hope to get into a jd/PhD program at Berkeley or ucla next fall.

Psychology major at Ohio University. Not quite ambitious, but enjoyable. :)

Freshman as Arizona State University, working on a BS in Biochemistry and a minor degree in German. Then going to graduate school :]] I wanna play with chemicals. <3

Starting my junior year, with a composite materials engineering major. Only two more years left! :(

I was a Chem undergrad at U Toronto...life/money/time/ect got in the way, and quit.

Am currently taking college (In Canada, a college is different then a uni...uni is more academic and has the 4/5 year programs, college is more trades/applied/blue collar/joe blow and has two programs) as a welder/fitter...mostly for the lulz and cause I got a full scholarship with living expenses ect, so why not.

Still plan on getting a "real" education in one of the physical sciences at some point...most probably finishing my chem, or a closly allied science.

I'm almost done with my BFA in Costume Design and Technology, which is in the theatre department. I'm hoping to get my master's in Library Science.

im in an honours double major program for sociology and childhood and family relations... i'm in my third year, and would like to write my lsats and go into child and family law.

however by the time im done my 4 years i'll owe $28,000 and so i plan on taking a few years off to try and pay down that debt a little bit and then hopefully i'll be off to law school... sometimes i think though that i might like to teach Montessori... h mm, so many excellent choices!

What level math did you complete, and what is your major?

Well?
I'm an anthro student applying to transfer to a 4 year school from a CC, and I've recently been charging down maths. I know how far I need to go to get my degree/move on, but how do universities look at it? Is it worth going further in the "pure" academics to prove your study habits even if your grades are already stellar?

What level of math did you finish, and what is your major?

I searched around, but didn't find anything. Not an easy topic to serach for, though, so it's possible I missed something. If that's the case, I'm sorry.

I did chemical engineering... we had to do 2 years of maths at uni.

My opinion... do what you need to do to get through. However, if you are enjoying the maths, then why not keep going and potentially have it as a minor...?

CB.

I completed up to Calculus in high school.... I failed it, though ( C+ the first semster, then went into treatment and missed 1 the first month, was so confused and just wanted to start doing drugs again I just dropped out). And I'm a business major.

As far as whether or not it's worth it, it depends on the school. My mother has worked in admissions at a few universities and always talks about it… the way she explained it to me when I was applying senior year was "A B is an honors/AP course or a course that is innately difficult for the applicant or just in general is going to help your application ten times more than five A’s in non-honors/non-AP or ‘easier’ courses.”

However, DON'T continue taking math if it's just too difficult or time consuming (like me) just to have it looked good on your app.... because the bad grade will hurt you a lot. :)

So I guess it depends on how far up you’ve gone in math and where you’re applying… some of my friends that applied to more liberal arts centered universities stopped at Algebra 2 and were fine, the universities didn’t care about their math credits. But some of the more straight-laced academic schools will be extremely reluctant to even consider your app if you haven’t pretty gone to the top in every subject.

So, if you’re applying to a really academic school that isn’t so focused on the humanities/liberal arts (and especially if it has a lot of GE requirements that aren’t specialized for majors) they’ll probably want to see you’ve taken a variety of courses and gone up to high levels. More liberal arts/humanities universities won’t care as much.

It can’t hurt you, anyway. :)

Completed calculus in high school, and statistics in college my 1st semester, but I regret that completely now. I'm taking a 4 unit calc class this semester, and need one more after this if I wanna even think about getting into the pharmacology school I would like. I'm declaring either biology or chem as my major... gotta see how this semester goes.

I didn't want to waste any of my college money on math courses so I got my university math requirements (calculus A/B, Differential Equations - I don't know what they call that course now) out of the way before I finished high school. They didn't offer it at my high school so I went to CC to do it.

It was way cost-effective and I never had to worry about math again. Until I became and animator and graphic designer and needed geometry and algebra stuff. But I sure as hell never needed any calculus. Also, since I took it at CC, it didn't ruin my GPA for some reason.

This was in the US and, for the record, I was an English major.

For my degree I'm required to take maths through Calculus III, and a course on partial differentials is recommended. However I have endeavored to take every math class that's offered by the math department at my university, because taking math classes has improved my discipline and study skills immensely.

Also, I've always found math professors to be way more laid back than professors in the sciences. Math professors seem to be way more encouraging to beginners, whereas many of the science departments actively try to "weed out" weak students which I think is kind of lame.

Not to mention, I believe that my math studies have helped me a great deal in my physics courses. Especially the early level courses.

I will probably end up with a double-major chemistry and mathematics; however currently my major is officially declared as only chemistry -- not that that matters much.

I took allll my math studies when I first started college in the 90s. When I went back to study biology after 10 years, though, I had a really fucked up time in physics. I understood concepts, but couldn't remember the calculus. I think I could have gotten A's in physics if I remembered the calculus better.

Biology major.
Calculus 2

Think I might need to take statistics too sometime in the future.

I did pre-calc my senior year and then did it again my frosh year of college because I only had to take one and I wanted it to be easy.

My majors are Poli Sci and Journalism.