L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Do you believe in soul mates?

bromance

Bluelighter
I'm interested in seeing what others think about this. What does "soul mate" really mean? Is there one perfect match out there for every single person in the world? Have you met yours?

No. I think that you can happily spend the rest of your life with one of many different people.

Ya know, I really thought my passed boyfriend was my soulmate. I have met someone new and even expressed to him that he was getting involved with a girl who believed her soulmate died. He still stuck with me and he has made me very happy.

I still think of my old BF very much, but this man has me thinking that my initial thoughts were wrong.

Damien said:
No. I think that you can happily spend the rest of your life with one of many different people.
To be clear, this is not inconsistent with thinking there are 'soul mates.' The view of 'soul mates' is not imo that only one person can make you happy...but rather that there is one person out there that has a connection with you that transcends the normal connections people can create with each other (which is built up over time through a regular relationship).

samadhi_smiles said:
To be clear, this is not inconsistent with thinking there are 'soul mates.' The view of 'soul mates' is not imo that only one person can make you happy...but rather that there is one person out there that has a connection with you that transcends the normal connections people can create with each other (which is built up over time through a regular relationship).

I've never heard soul mates defined as that, and I like that. I was wondering if there was a more broad or encompassing definition that people meant when they use the term.

I had always found the term difficult to grasp, just based on the fact that there are 6 billion people, chances are my soul mate doesn't speak English, let alone live in the United States, or have remotely the same socio-economic status as I do. I think the way you defined it really allows for some leeway. :)

I always thought of a soul mate as someone who not only do I have instant chemistry, but I would die without. Someone who completes me, to quote a cheesy line from a movie. LOL

samadhi_smiles said:
So how do you know if/when you have found your soulmate and how come this cannot be cultivated with more than one person?

I think there are a number of "best fits", but the odds of finding more than one of them in this crazy world is pretty slim.

Damien said:
So how do you know if/when you have found your soulmate and how come this cannot be cultivated with more than one person?
knowing if/when/how you've found your soulmate is a different question whether there are actually soulmates or not.

The former is an epistemic question based on what we can know the latter is a metaphysical question based on what there is actually existing.

bromance said:
I've never heard soul mates defined as that, and I like that. I was wondering if there was a more broad or encompassing definition that people meant when they use the term.

I had always found the term difficult to grasp, just based on the fact that there are 6 billion people, chances are my soul mate doesn't speak English, let alone live in the United States, or have remotely the same socio-economic status as I do. I think the way you defined it really allows for some leeway. :)
A very special friend (who also happens to be a BLer) told me that he thinks there are certain people that are locked in cosmic embrace together. I like this and I think it maps onto the soul mate discussion well.

i feel i have found my soul mate..its funny because i was with someone else for 3 1/2 years who i thought was mine and my soul mate was sitting right in front of me the whole time (Swerz) now we are engaged :)
i feel there is someone out there for everyone, it just hard to see it sometimes

samadhi_smiles said:
knowing if/when/how you've found your soulmate is a different question whether there are actually soulmates or not.

The former is an epistemic question based on what we can know the latter is a metaphysical question based on what there is actually existing.
I agree, but I don't think they are irrelevant questions.

Damien said:

There is a feeling that comes from spending time with one's soulmate - it is a type of deeply peaceful joy. It doesn't come from other sorts of relationships, and it is qualitatively different from mere "happiness." Most importantly, with a true soulmate, one feels their happiness not merely as one's own but more so - to see one's soulmate truly happy is to experience joy transcendent.

I do not believe that there is only one, single "soulmate" out there for each of us. I have been fortunate to have already in my life more than one soulmate. It does seem, more or less, that these bonds come one at a time but I think that's more because, once we have formed such a bond, we are less open to forming a second one simultaneously. And, looking back, I have been in times in my life before where I was bonded with more than one true soulmate.

It is beautiful, to experience this. The loss of it, however, is crushing.

Peace,

Fausty

no....the man i believed to be my soul mate (was married for 7 years), broke my heart into a million pieces....so, my conclusion is....soul mates do not exist.

I definitely think there is such things as soul mates. No one can tell me different.

I think the guy I am with now is definitely my soul mate. We have been together 3 years and I love him more than life itself. I definitely think we were meant to be together. I love him so efffing much.

I don't think we're fated to have particular "soul mates" in the traditional sense of the term, but I think it's a pretty satisfactory description of the feeling one has when in a relationship that is completely emotionally fulfilling.

i think we all have soul mates.

But I think we have more than one.

Let me explain.........

I think that being one's "soul mate" means that you and your partner are connected at some level that just cant be explained. When you have those days that you BOTH feel like being lazy, or you both want Taco bell , or just always being in step to the same tune without someone counting the beat for you. When you feel sad and you arent sure why till they tell you something has happened.

Now I dont think that means there is "one" person for me. I feel you can connect at the soul with different people, its just a matter of how you and the person in question stack your chips together. But once you have found one, why leave?

Damien said:
That is exactly what popped into my head when I read the thread title.

Yes, but i don't believe that just because you are soul mates it means you will be together in the physical forever. That's the point, they are the match to your soul, the people who make you feel complete. Not always the match to your physical being. (<- I may edit this later as not sure if that sounds the way i mean it to)

I don't believe in the after life or forever, i do believe in that connection that cannot be explained in words though.

trancegirle said:
Yes, but i don't believe that just because you are soul mates it means you will be together in the physical forever.
yes, very well said I think.

Also Fausty thank you for sharing your thoughts your posts help clarify what I am thinking but have trouble expressing. peace and love friend <3