• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why is there something when there could be nothing?

spaceyourbass

Bluelighter
If there is another thread like this, please direct me to it. There needs to be a Google search feature on BL search, some other forums have it, I'm not sure if it costs money though...

Why did anything ever exist in the first place? If your a big banger type, why were the materials (for lack of a better term) ever there for the universe to happen? Why is there something, when there could be nothing?

If there were nothing, we wouldn't be asking this question.

I doubt that "nothing" really exists outside our language.

It could have turned out to be Nothing, though, right? But I doubt it. Because Nothing ever made it into being. Something beat Nothing to it. Something made it into existence, crossed the hurdle and exploded into being. Nothing didn't stand a chance. Because Nothing had no will to exist.

I've read up on a couple studies that claim time existed before the big bang.
Some physicists say that our universe exploded from a previous universe.
and who knows, maybe that universe exploded from a previous universe before that. And so on and so forth. It's too every expanding and too big a picture to ever know how and why.
But there was never nothing. There was always something. That's mind boggling enough to know.

cool question

but what if this was nothing ?

edit : ill try to play with it...
Why is there light when there could be darkness?
taoist style ill go with duality
you cant have something without its opposite

the concept of nothingness is something (in itself)
"real" nothingness cant conscientize itself
but consciousness couldnt work without unconsciousness

we can believe that we where once absent from existence before being born
and we know that we are unconscious when we sleep and dont dream
but we cant be conscious of being unconscious

"Why is there something when there could be nothing?"
cuz nothing has to balance itself with unnothingness (something)
due to the nature of duality (both being concept we entertain in our minds)

"you cant have something without its opposite"
ill bring this back cuz i guess you could say why something and see the universe outside your own existence, but while doing so you cant be the universe thinking itself, you are still in your mind thinking
believing that the world existed before you is a belief
its a subjective belief, you make it up in your mind, you cant think without your mind, you cant make abstraction of yourself without your mind
so you are something
you are point one of the universe, cuz "the" universe is the one you create in your mind, and so is the absence of it (the nothing)

there is the "i think so therefore i am" classic line from descartes
there wasnt a "nothing" before you (or before the big bang) cuz there wasnt a before you, there only ever was a you once you gain consciousness
thats point one of existence, all the rest is belief

so now we can turn it around
Why could there be nothing when there is something ?
i was thinking about something similar recently due to the "Where do we go after we die" thread
like i was saying people believe easily that they can be absent when they sleep but dont dream, but they believe that when they are gonna be dead they will be awake ? will they need to sleep then ? will they have dream ?
it seam simple to think that when you are dead, you are at the same place you where before birth and that place when you sleep
we can call it the "nothing"

and we are conscious that we can be unconscious, but why can we be so ?

Last edited:
^yeah i was not finish editing but that a good question

i think its ytilaud ;)

im tempted to say singularity but im not sure
singularity is only the center of it

edit : by singularity i mean unity, number 1
duality is number 2
triviality is number 3
plurality is number 4

whats the opposite of 2 : -2
"But what's the opposite of duality?"

Last edited:
tbrn87l.jpg

i like those question without answer
its like a illusion that you are getting somewhere but you are not
its really in the how you deal with them that makes it worth,
playing with them with different scale and tuning

ill try it again..

cuz you aint a good Buddhists monk
you cant stop your mind from the illusion of something
cuz yeah, "there could be nothing"

cuz you didnt went to bed

how can there be nothing when there is something ?
how can we loose ourself when we sleep ?

This is a great question. It is also one that has traditionally been asked in philosophy for literally millennia. A mainstream answer that begins to approach an answer is there is something rather than nothing because God exists and made it so.

If you don't believe in God though, its unpalatable to say the least =D

An alternate answer is that our universe is one of (infinitely) many ways universes might be. Look around you right now. See that coffee cup on your desk? Well, it could have been blue rather than white. Now imagine an alternate universe existing exactly like ours except instead of that white coffee cup, a blue one exists. Thats another 'possible world'. Now imagine how many of these 'possible worlds' there are. Infinite!

One of those worlds is an 'empty' world, where nothing exists in it, no space-time coordinates, no minds, no physical stuff at all. Nothing. Just another way the universe might have been.

We just happen to exist in one that has something.

So, now the question shifts to: Why do we exist in one of the possible worlds with stuff in it, rather than the one with nothing in it?

Well, its just not possible to exist (since we are corporeal beings) in a nothing world. It never would logically occur.

Jigga wha?

<---------Dumb blonde southern boy
(because this question went right over my head)

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
you cant have something without its opposite
i disagree. imagine there was nothing. nothing at all. is the opposite of nothing something? once you have something, there is no longer nothing.

you could go further and say that the existence of nothing is contingent of the absence of its opposite.

to the op - why is there something when there could be nothing? simply so that you can ask that question.

:)

alasdair

samadhi_smiles said:
Well, its just not possible to exist (since we are corporeal beings) in a nothing world. It never would logically occur.
i think that all possibility are all happening at once but our mind focus on only one
and we live in that nothing world by not living in it, cuz the only way to be in a nothing world is by being nothing
the nothing is like the blackboard to the something

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
i think that all possibility are all happening at once but our mind focus on only one
and we live in that nothing world by not living in it, cuz the only way to be in a nothing world is by being nothing
the nothing is like the blackboard to the something
well, there are possibilities and impossibilities. Possible worlds and impossible worlds.

There is some use to model impossible worlds (which reduce at least on paper to a set of propositions, ie statements). But, I think you have to bear in mind that these impossible worlds (perhaps your existence in a nothing world would fit this description) are just heuristics, and not concrete things in the same way we might construe this and other possible worlds.

Our world is just one of many possibilities...

alasdairm said:
i disagree. imagine there was nothing. nothing at all. is the opposite of nothing something? once you have something, there is no longer nothing.

:)

alasdair
but you use your mind for imaginating the nothing
if you believe the universe can exist outside of your mind its a belief
so i would turn around the "is the opposite of nothing something?"
to is the opposite of something nothing ?
cuz nothing is always a concept we entertain in our mind, it cant exist outside of it
and yes nothing is what we define as the opposite of something

duality : you cant have something without its opposite
its like writing reality with a black pen on white paper, you can conscientize something that way
but not if you use black on black or white on white

there is no longer nothing.
nothing is a concept, it cant exist otherwise, nothing cant exist in itself, cuz the way for nothing to exist it by non existence
so all it is is a concept we entertain as being the opposite of something
something is that felt presence of the now
but due to memory we can compare the quantity\quality of said presence and say there was more of something here and less of something there...
we scale it but zero is a concept
time stop at zero
its the absence of the concept so it aint the nothing
the nothing is the concept we entertain in our something mind
"the tao that can be told is not the eternal tao"
if you could have the ability to conscientize the nothing perfectly you would loose yourself in it, youd be gone

is the opposite of nothing something?
thats how we define it yeah
just like the opposite of darkness is light

(did i repeated the same thing too much)

samadhi_smiles said:
(perhaps your existence in a nothing world would fit this description)
it would be more of a non existence in a nothing world

impossible worlds
by naming them you are creating them
you are creating the possibility of impossibility

all of those are still concept in the eye of the beholder, yourself
reality is subjective and you are the center of the mandala (reality)