• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

bicycle buying help!

animal_cookie

Bluelight Crew
i'm leaving my car behind when i move and want to start biking as my main mode of transportation. i'll be living less than 5 miles from just about everything i will need so i figure it makes sense. but i don't have a clue where to start, please help guide me :)

You need to decide what kind of bike you want.

Road
Mountain
Hybrid

If you'll be doing your biking primarily in a city, you'll want a road or hybrid, although a mountain bike is fine if you get some smooth tires on there. You definitely do not want to be biking around the city with studded mountain bike tires...lots of wasted energy.

Personally, I'd just wait until you get to wherever you're going and buy a used road bike or cruiser. I ride an early 80s Schwinn road bike that I picked up for $110 bucks a couple years ago. Parts are easy to find and they are generally easy to work on. It's quick, light enough to haul up a flight or two of stairs if necessary, and has served me well so far.

Also, this probably fits better in Second Opinion. Here are some related threads:

Bicycle Maintenance
What to Look for in a New Bike
Purchasing a Bike

i'm pretty sure i want a road or hybrid bike. its going to be mostly road riding, i get the idea that seattle and the surrounding area is pretty bike friendly.

i went to a local bike store the other day and the amount of choices and options overwhelmed me. and the absurd amount of differences in price. i am guessing i don't need to spend tons of money to get a bike that serves my needs. and from what you said, i seem to be right :)

edit: grr, i bet you edited that post just to link to a thread you started :p

do you find it hard to use your bike as your main method of transportation? is there anything you did to make it easier to get used to?

Last edited:
I added relevant links...one of which happened to be started by me. Doesn't make it less relevant. :p

I wouldn't recommend buying new. Not worth it, IMO, especially if you're just commuting around on it. New road bikes start around $500...not something I'd feel good about leaving locked up in various places where it risks getting stolen. There are tons of bike shops selling used rides in most major cities these days, I'm sure wherever you are moving is no exception.

I still own a car, but I drive it perhaps once every week, maybe once every two weeks. I primarily get around via public transit or bike. I even spent the summer after getting a bike commuting to work on it about 6 1/2 miles each way. I haven't been doing that lately, but if there isn't ice and snow on the road, I generally am on my bike year round to get everywhere else. It's really not very difficult...if you have to grocery shop, get a bike rack and some panniers, or just make smaller trips with a backpack on. There are also grocery delivery services, like Peapod, you can take advantage of.

If you're living in the city you just need to adjust to doing things like grocery shopping more frequently, especially if you lack access to a car where you can buy a couple weeks worth of groceries at a time. But there are lots of car services like Zipcar and iGo that you can take advantage of, otherwise, my bike gets me where I need to go, generally a lot faster that any other mode of transportation. :)

Last edited:
My city rig is an old alloy cyclocross frame with campy headset and cranks, single front chain rig (save weight and cables) bottom bracket and a dura-ace casette that I took all but 3 cogs off of and spaced it out, with a dura-ace derailuer. with dura-ace front break.

It moves faster then a rock head jonesing hard who seen a piece of candlewax on the floor.

I use a hybrid Peugot from the 90s which is really light with good bearings. I would also recommend 2 locks if it is somewhat decent and you are in the city, one for the front and a smaller one for the back. Good breaks and seat are nice to have. Lights are really good for night and make riding around much safer. A decent amount of gears is nice too for hills and such. If you are going to be riding around a lot I would not get a cruiser or something meant for shorter distance riding. Maybe learn the basics of bike repair too, and get a small repair kit so you can make small repairs at home.

I love my bike as my main means of transport, but I also live in a European city with an incredible bike path infrastructure (including bike only traffic lights). In the US I do not feel comfortable riding around on my bike where most people aren't used to bikes and don't pay attention.

animal_cookie said:
i'm pretty sure i want a road or hybrid bike. its going to be mostly road riding, i get the idea that seattle and the surrounding area is pretty bike friendly.

seattle is definitely bike friendly. it's also full of hills ;)

hit me up up if you like when you get out here... im a short trip down I5 in portland :)

^i will prolly do that :)

apparently my roommate decided to buy me a bike. i guess that made it simple on my part :p

I got a hybrid, 'Apollo' through the 'Cycle to Work' program. It has a gel seat, a basket, lights, action ,etc. and looks cool %) . I haven't rode it cause its not in yet. But an appropriate bike rider said it was a good one!
I'm pretty excited!%)

I........ know, doesnt take much!;)

animal_cookie said:
^i will prolly do that :)

apparently my roommate decided to buy me a bike. i guess that made it simple on my part :p

Well, make sure they get you something you can use. Don't let them just buy you some mountain bike or you'll be sorry, I promise.

he bikes and knows what i plan on using my bike for. so i am trusting that i will have something useful :)

I ride a stumpumper comp with road slicks and an 11-23 ultegra sassette and 46/34/24 tooth chainrings for training and commuting; luckily the road components are compatable with lx shifters and an xtr rear derailer. If the commute is more off road than on (its not uncommon where I live) I ride my off road rig (stumpjumper fsr pro), the roadie gearing will kill you off road.

Cheak out http://www.mtbr.com/defaultcrx.aspx?default=true for bike reviews and classifieds. They do road bike shit too.

I wouldn't get a road bike for Seattle. I have been there many times (lived in Portland for 6 years) and in my opinion it is too wet for the thin tires of road bikes. I have heard many good things about the Electra Townie and when I rode a friend's Townie it seemed very comfortable although I'm not sure how it would do on hills. If you are willing to put up a bit more money I have found Kona bikes to be nice.

I would go with a single-speed road bike, it's light, fast, make sure it is a steel frame, will last u generations if well taken care of. Mountain bikes are heavy and more suited for rough terrain. Multiple geared road bikes need much more care and pretty heavy as well unless you are paying freakin' $2000+ for it :)
If you want to get into a serious biking or just be on top of the game, you better build your own single speed bike, look for parts at friends' houses or e-bay. You can make a very decent bike for less than 200 that you will love. Get tools as well. As you build it you will understand how it all works together, very valuable experience for a cyclist, so you don't have to go to a shop if u need a small fix.
Bikes are so rewarding. A great hobby to have. And they are very addictive. It's easier for me to quit smoking tobacco than stop thinking about bikes! :D