• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Am I Schizophrenic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Estrogen has also been recently proven to alleviate symptoms of schizophrenia in women. Without any dopaminergic drugs.

The 'chemical imbalance' theory of depression, schizophrenia, and all the other disorders is bunk.

Coolio said:
The 'chemical imbalance' theory of depression, schizophrenia, and all the other disorders is bunk.
I agree with Coolio. Dopamine or serotonin elevation/decrease defines the therapeutic agents and research chemicals, but the disorders involved are much more complex. Another metabolic finding common in some but not all cases of schizophrenia is excess homocysteine, this is related to the the methylation deficiency theory of schizophrenia. There are hundreds of findings that support various theories of schizophrenia, which fit some schizophrenics but not all. The dopamine theory gained prevalence IMO because it isn't falsifiable and its inconvenient to treat schizophrenia as multiple disorders with distinctly different causes and treatments.

Coolio said:
How do you know his condition is caused by a chemical imbalance?

Seeing as the success rate for curing schizophrenia approaches ZERO, I don't think medical professionals have any idea what they're doing when they prescribe drugs to treat the symptoms. Yes, antipsychotic medications make schizophrenic patients more manageable, but that's because antipsychotic medications shut your brain down and turn you into a zombie. They make everyone more manageable.

Dude, seriously. I have depression (mild), and came to the conclusion that I'd rather learn to deal with my symptoms and problems on my OWN, rather than face life on a dimmer switch at half-setting. Fuck that noise.

I'm of the opinion (however nuts this sounds) that schizophrenia is NOT a problem. Who's to say that the people who have it, aren't just tapped into a higher state of being/different state of consciousness, and it's the rest of the world that's nuts to them?

waterheart776 said:
I'm of the opinion (however nuts this sounds) that schizophrenia is NOT a problem. Who's to say that the people who have it, aren't just tapped into a higher state of being/different state of consciousness, and it's the rest of the world that's nuts to them?

Waterheart776,You might enjoy reading R. D. Laing a brief but weak, summary of his work would be that schizophrenia is a sane reaction to an insane world. Personally, I utilize models that contradict one another. I embrace people with entirely social models while being equally open to people with entirely biological models. Truth is to often paradoxical for one model to rule them all. It sounds like you are using a modality of consciousness model, like stuck chakras or enlightenment: good and bad.

Enki said:
Waterheart776,You might enjoy reading R. D. Laing a brief but weak, summary of his work would be that schizophrenia is a sane reaction to an insane world. Personally, I utilize models that contradict one another. I embrace people with entirely social models while being equally open to people with entirely biological models. Truth is to often paradoxical for one model to rule them all. It sounds like you are using a modality of consciousness model, like stuck chakras or enlightenment: good and bad.

I will definitely look up that author.

What you've pointed out has seriously intrigued me.

To the OP:

The only thing separating holy writ, from complete bullshit, is your perspective. It's your best weapon...always keep the safety off.

I hope you find peace in your situation, friend. You are not alone in your struggle. *hugs*

P.S. for those not born with diabetes, the problem is often insulin resistance and insulin is just a lifetime addiction. A controlled diet free of sugar or starch and full of dietary fiber and fat, can in time completely reverse the pancreatic damage caused by a lifetime of glucose spikes induced by poor diet.

alexela said:
If you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't say anything. You're living in another century. When you get your doctorate then come back and contribute something worthwhile to the OP, what you're putting out as fact is blatantly dangerous and irresponsible . I'm sure you also think diabetes has nothing to do with insulin either.
The diabetics I know have had lab tests that objectively shown what their insulin and blood sugar levels are, in fact they test themselves daily. Do you know any schizophrenics that have had any objective measure taken of their dopamine levels? Even once? I currently know over 10 psychiatrists. They have all admitted when I asked the right questions that dopamine blockade is a means of treatment,but dopamine levels aren't a central cause.

This dopamine is cause, dopamine blockade is cure is something put in pamphlets because people need simple, even untrue, answers at times.

Coolio said:
How do you know his condition is caused by a chemical imbalance?

Seeing as the success rate for curing schizophrenia approaches ZERO, I don't think medical professionals have any idea what they're doing when they prescribe drugs to treat the symptoms. Yes, antipsychotic medications make schizophrenic patients more manageable, but that's because antipsychotic medications shut your brain down and turn you into a zombie. They make everyone more manageable.
Taking versus not taking the right antipsychotic medications can make the difference between wandering around on the street eating out garbage cans and living in your own place and being able to live a half way normal life. I've had a few friends who have been through this.

To the OP: you have schizophrenia. A stabilized mind does not think it is the antichrist.

There is no such thing as the antichrist, so you are not the antichrist.

I wish you well. Get some help.

I was thought to have schizophrenia at one point. SPunky ive been to a psych hospital 12 times and the most important thing i can tell you is to stay on your meds and be as open and honest in psychotherapy as possible. I decided to abuse vicoden and weed while i was on 6 or 7 medication and it seriously fucked with me. The fact that you realize your delusions arent true gives me hope that your arent schizophrenic.

alexela said:
It has even been found that women who contract influenza in their second trimester have a higher risk of their children developing schizophrenia later in life.
To my knowledge this has only held up from certain flu epidemics in the fifties. Also antipsychotics are crude and dangerous.

We have a big group of problems with symptomatic similarities. We don't have objective tests available except in research and a few very expensive clinics. Telling people that they just need to take their meds might cause one to feel like they are an informed and compassionate person. Hopefully one doesn't have to see them later over medicated and lifeless or with tardive dyskinesia. I knew a man diagnosed with schizophrenia, everyone kept telling him to stay on his meds even when he had great discomfort from them. Ultimately he got grossly psychotic and then died. Turned out he had a brain tumor NOT schizophrenia.

alexela said:
Schizophrenia is a very complicated disease, and the causes are multi-factorial.
But our treatment approaches at this point are one size fits all unless you find some very flexible and dedicated practitioners, not very likely.

Wilycoder said:
To the OP: you have schizophrenia. A stabilized mind does not think it is the antichrist.

Are you a psychiatrist? are you a psychologist? do you have any background whatsoever in the mental health field? Have you ever even met the OP in person? How could you possibly know if the OP has schizophrenia based on a "delusion" he states he has had over the internet. there are numerous conditions that can cause delusions not just schizophrenia.

To the OP: nobody here can tell you if you have schizophrenia. I encourage you to do everything you can to help yourself and that may mean seeing a psychiatrist and getting a hold on whatever it is that is troubling you with medication and counseling.

i stand by that any kind of mental disorder is completly normal
we all experience things which are different from everyone else especially if you see the world for what it is its hard to maintain a peaceful tranquil state of mind although could be achived
as for doctors and drugs
they can tell you what you have how you got and what can help
but remember that they get PAID for it and as long as you feel how you feel thier pocket only grows
drugs even the perscribed ones are no good for you they distrupt your natural balance
best advice i can give you is stop all the medication including ciggs and beers and stay off for 6 months i am sure you will be amazed with the result
i know its not easy and your thougts will be crazy and unbalanced but just remember you can pull through i know you can!

Although I don't have time to go over each one, Alexela makes a number of valid points...

Also, atypical anti-psychotics can be quite effective.

However, I am quite skeptical about the use of anti-depressants in individuals that are not experiencing moderate to severe depression.

Also, the point i don't entirely agree with:

It is not in their best interest to tell you you have a mental illness when you don't, this is malpractice. They will diagnose you based on clinical guidelines, and believe me, are more than happy to tell someone that they do not have a mental illness.

Do you not agree than antidepressants medications are overprescribed? I have asked numerous psychiatrists if they prescribe medication to every patient they see complaining of depression. One answer I got was, "well, they wouldn't be making an appointment to see me if they weren't truly depressed", with the implication being that yes, they do prescribe meds to all those who complain of depression. But yes, many psychiatrists will follow the DSM-IV, however I feel some do this a bit too blindly.

Obviously, like in any field, there are going to individuals who are inept or incompetent...

Unless you have first experience with psychoses and schizophrenia et al you really have no place in this thread. Trust me, there's nothing like experiencing it firsthand. But to all those know-it-alls, psychiatry is just a giant conspiracy 8) like peak oil, global warming, the price of fuel and 9/11.
The amount of misinformation in this thread is astounding, don't believe scientologists they are crazy. I was saved by atypical antipsychotics and the only side-effect I had was getting dizzy when standing up quickly, not that bad really.

The doctors that I dealt with were very cautious in their diagnosis and there are strict guidelines in the DSM-4, they don't enjoy labelling people psychotic and stuffing as many pills down their throat as they can. That's just grossly inaccuarate.

i stand by that any kind of mental disorder is completly normal

You sir have just won the darwin award.

Good posts Alexa you seem to have a balanced view.

Last edited:
^^^Yea, alexela is kind of hot, assuming the "a" in "alexela" implies the correct gender....

alexela said:
Physicians are paid the same whether they tell you you have a mental illness or not. It is not in their best interest to tell you you have a mental illness when you don't, this is malpractice. They will diagnose you based on clinical guidelines, and believe me, are more than happy to tell someone that they do not have a mental illness.
Paid the same per psychiatric hour, yes, usually. A successful practice takes having return customers. I don't think most psychiatrists are influenced by money that much, but I think an honest assessment will realize that sick people are medicines bread an butter. in my region a psychiatrist was diagnosing people, promising to get them on disability, and renting them all apartments from his personally owned real estate company. This situation was exposed by a local newspaper. His professional sanctions for this, as far as I've been able to discern, was a non-disciplinary letter of concern. He did also lose admitting privileges at a hospital for a while but I couldn't tell if that was from this incident or some other infraction. His ability to practice was not suspended.

Standard of care is that in a first-break psychosis other things should be ruled out. The person should have an MRI or CT scan to rule out tumors, blood tests for heavy metal poisoning, among other things. Schizophrenia is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you test for everything else and if all the tests are negative then you are left with schizophrenia.
I can tell you that CTs and MRIs are not standard where I am. Cursory physical exams and general health screen lab values are about the best one gets towards objective tests.

I said:
Also antipsychotics are crude and dangerous.
To which alexela said:
This may have been true 50 years ago but not now.
Metabolic syndrome (diabetes, hyperlipidemia, weight gain,--these are serious ) are close to universal with several of the most popular antipsychotics today.Tardive dyskinesia still occurs, though at lower rates with 2nd generation agents. Most antipsychotics cause mental effects like sedation or inability to concentrate to the point where most people can't work. No antipsychotic works effectively in every patient. They require extensive monitoring, but many schizophrenics in my area see a Doctor once every three months. QT elongation related sudden death, neurolyptic malignant syndrome, and life threatening blood disorders are rarer problems, but common enough that I've been aware of more than one occurrence of each in a city with a population less than 500,000.

Alexela, I can tell you are very informed about psychiatry and in general I think we'd agree on the basics of how to proceed with creating a mental health system that maximizes benefits and minimizes risks. However, I've been a patient in a very broken system for 25 years plus, and don't have the same esteem for the mental health community that you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.