Thread: Simplified Amphetamine Synthesis from Phenylalanine?

1. Collapse Details
    Simplified Amphetamine Synthesis from Phenylalanine? 
    Ohio, sadly.
    Hey people.

I would like to just show you this:

"A surprisingly simple synthesis is possible from the amino acid phenylalanine, which is available at health food stores for about $14 for 100 tablets. Phenylalanine is 2-amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid, which is more or less amphetamine with a COOH where the CH3 should be at the end of the chain. Thionyl chloride will replace the OH with a Cl, which falls off and is replaced by H when you give it lithium aluminum hydride, sodium borohydride, or hydrogen gas and nickel/platinum. If you use hydrogen and metal for that step, you'll have to reduce the carbonyl group with one of the hydrides, so best save time + effort and use them and do both reductions at once. When that carbonyl is reduced, you now have amphetamine."
    -Quoted from the Methamphetamine FAQ at

If someone could write a simple technical synthesis for someone with no chemistry knowledge, could acquire one somewhere, or even just explain this to me shortly, I would be infinitely gratitudinous.

Thank you all very very much.

2. Collapse Details
    This isn't allowed here.

If you join at we can help you better.

3. Collapse Details
    Thionyl chloride is used in the production of nerve gases and is watched, so I think you'd probably attract unwanted attention purchasing any of it...

Aside from that, such discussion of synthesis is not allowed here; please read the rules before posting.