Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Prescription drugs in Thailand/Asia

Mr Blonde

Bluelighter
Hey all!

I'm trying to compile a list of what prescriptions drugs in Australia are known as overseas, and I'm having a hard time finding any information. I've never been to South East Asia or anything, so I was wondering if anyone knows: do they have their own brands of medication over there, or are they just known by generic names or something?

PS: No source discussion or availability discussion please, I'd just like to know what the names are. :)

Hong Kong

Brand: DF118
Ingredient: 30mg dihydrocodeine tartrate

Brand: Ultram
Ingredient: 50mg tramadol hydrochloride

^ Thanks! I've been searching around the net but I seem to only find travel sites talking about bringing in prescription drugs.

hm when I was there I wasnt into pharms etc wish I was so I stocked up lol. Control of stuff in pharmacys is a bit more in Thailand than neighboring countries like Laos, Cambodia etc

Generally if you ask with the widely known generic name they will know what you are talking about. ie. 'valium' you will get by diazapam but when in doubt ask for it with its pharm name ie. diazapam.
A word of warning be sure to actually check the bottle they are getting it from, as they can often make mistakes and give you something quite different. Further, conterfeit pharms are prevelent in cambodia, Laos and vietnam (as with counterfiet ciggerettes and anything else that can be faked), so it is a very good idea to bring in pharms used for medical reasons from Aus (check legality first).
As said above, Thailand seems to be harder on pharms than most countries in the region. In fact, you cannot get codeine without a script! That said several other tightly controlled pharms in Aus are available if you go to a more money minded pharmistist. Laos and Cambodia are alot more lax.

One last word of warning, just because these substances may be dispensed by a pharmist to you without question, this does not mean they are legal to possess. You have very few rights when it comes to police searchs in these countries, and in Thailand and Vietnam in particular, police are more than happy to search foreigners for no good reason ( it's a good way of supplementing their income!). This is especially problematic considering that often pills will be dispensed in baggies and not in blister packs, so could possibly be confused with E. Not a good situation to be in SE Asia

The best way to get what u want is to ask for the chemcal name..as mentioned. eg valium--diazepam.

If u bring an empty box from home much easier to get what u want.

But the best way, just go see a doc. they'l have no worries giving u a priscription..plus its legal. AND ONE OTHER VERY BIT OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION IS: try to ask for a letter saying u are allowed the meds, its a get out of jail card. plus if u want to take some home the letter will let u.

Edit- Removed availibility talk.

Be smart, dont look desperate, act confident.

i got offered a 1000 contanier of valum, i said no, as the pharmaist could of easily called the police i get busted, pay the cops, pharasists gets his valies back.

just be smart.

As, for Camboda..i have nver been but have heard reliable stories that whatever u want is there, app there are no laws restricting the sale of pharms.

Mods -hope i haven't broken any rules

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing..

if u do happen to want to get illigal drugs. be smart again.

get to know someone before buying.

or/and.. the more paraniod a seller is the better, less chance of getting caught and usaually better quality.

Aviod dealers who are openly selling their product. they often look clean cut. the have either paid the police off, or, the police will bust u 2 mins after.

be smart. be careful. if your in a situation that feels dodgy, then it probably is.

Fuck didn't asnwer ur original question..yeah they do have different generic brand names, the still have the origina.

check erowid. or pharm id site if in doubt about a pill.

En_warp said:
get to know someone before buying.

In thailand, you have a far better chance of getting want you want if you can befriend a local. Ideally, you would have some knowledge of the local prices and could therefore give the go-between a tip (ideally one that is little more than small change to you but a significant sum to them). Wages are freaking atrocious in thailand, hours are brutal (often including horrendous numbers of unpaid work) and there are a lot of people willing to help out a farang for a few Baht.

If I can get the list of prescriptions drugs in Australia,
I will try to check if they have their own brand in Thailand or not

Guys can you re-read the OP question before posting.

A lot of you are discussing what you found available.

No source discussion or availability discussion please.

Also tips on how to score/what to say to the doctor are not allowed.

The OP asked-
do they have their own brands of medication over there, or are they just known by generic names or something?

lil angel15 said:
Guys can you re-read the OP question before posting.

A lot of you are discussing what you found available.

No source discussion or availability discussion please.

Also tips on how to score/what to say to the doctor are not allowed.

The OP asked-

Thank you for your advise, please forgive for my bad English and reckless.

In Thailand, there only few number of pharmaceutical. Mostly drungs are import.
We have few number of drugs which have their own Thai brand name.

En_warpAs said:
Nope this ain't true, not sure if forum guidelines will elt me say this but in my experience, amphetamines and ketamine cannot be bought at pharmists, despite some of the rumours I heard and my asking around.

Thanks lil angel, I was laughing to myself as I scrolled down and saw all the replies. :)