L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

My IUD Story: battle fought and won!

Mariposa

Bluelight Crew
I thought this was worthy of its own thread rather than my bumping or hijacking others; in other threads other BL women have spoken about their experiences having an IUD insertion. It's a relatively common birth control method in much of the world, but conspicuously absent in the US due to the prevalence of the Pill. Many insurance companies will not cover an IUD for a woman who has not had children.

Well, long story short, I found a way to get one. :)

It was inserted around noon today. This may sound like a trip report - I'm describing this in explicit detail because many BLers have asked about this method recently. Read carefully if you are squeamish.

Background: 28 year old female in 16 month live in relationship with monogamous male partner. No pregnancies, no children. Used NuvaRing for ~2 years before deciding to leave hormones behind. Had hassles with insurance company which, when switching insurance, were no longer an issue. Does not want children for at least 2 years (this is the point where it becomes cost-effective in the US). LMP 6/24/08 (yep, got it right before the IUD insertion appointment - we planned it that way so it would be easier).

The IUD: ParaGard Intrauterine Copper Contraceptive Manufacturer's Website

For a pic, go to this link.

Personal notes: I waited so many years to get an IUD. I have a background that includes clinical depression and panic disorder. Ironically, I've had little to no trouble with my periods - the occasional bad cramping, but it always passes, and I can control it with ibuprofen. I have a regular 28-30 day cycle, it is as close to 28 as anyone I know, and I can always tell when my period's coming. My breasts are sore for about a week beforehand, and then the soreness goes away. My period comes 24-36 hours later!

That was the case this month too despite taking Plan B on Day 5 of my period due to a condom accident on graduation day. :( I was confirmed not pregnant, sent for a finger prick to check my hemoglobin (13.8 - normal range is 10-15) which confirmed I am not anemic. Bacterial STD results and Pap test confirmed negative and without abnormalities. The medical assistant reviewed my chart, explained the procedure (good link for that on WebMD or any other site, google "iud insertion" which I already understood. The instruments were, thankfully, placed under a drape. The MA (a sweetheart) then asked if I wanted to see the IUD. I did, so she brought it in in its packaging. I could see that it was a little larger and wider than a quarter (US). It did not look scary to me. I felt a sense of relief that it was so small. :) I looked at it for a minute and focused positive thoughts. I was emotional from my period and apprehensive about the procedure.

I then undressed from the waist down and waited for the NP, whom I had met before and found to be friendly and professional. She reviewed my chart and we talked about anesthesia - they don't put you under or for twilight for the IUD insertion (and twilight doesn't work on me!) so I was given the option of the paracervical block (similar to novocaine) or an 800 mg ibuprofen. They probably would have given me something stronger if I had asked. Since it freaked me out to have needles into my cervix along with everything else, I went with the ibuprofen. I took 1 mg alprazolam and 400 mg ibuprofen that morning. The alprazolam sufficiently relaxed me, as did the professional manner of the NP, who told me she'd tell me what she was doing as she proceeded and that if I wanted anesthetic at any time, then I should stop and ask. She applied some lidocaine gel, but I don't think it did anything except make me feel cold. I had an extra sweater on, thankfully, in case it got cold.

The procedure began; standard speculum insertion (they're always so cold!) and my cervix was stabilized. My uterus was sounded, and the pain people talk about this as having is about a 9/10, more if you don't have my pain tolerance, which appears again to be ridiculously high. The sounds were EXCRUCIATING (sound = the device to measure the uterus and dilate the cervix). I will not sugarcoat this, ladies: it HURTS. A lot. I considered asking for the paracervical block at that point. My uterus was found to be 7 cm long - normal is in the range of 6-10. The NP said I could expect that level of pain for a few minutes, said she'd be as quick as she could... and I told her to go ahead. My cervix was immobilized, I took a few deep breaths, and then it was in. She checked the positioning and it was over. I experienced a 10/10 pain level at that point and she just told me to breathe deep and rhythmically.

It worked! It was over! She removed the speculum.

I was left to recover as long as I needed to. I did not pass out. I lost a good amount of blood (I'll spare the explicit details) but after less than 10 minutes, I cleaned myself with moist towels, put on a pad (no tampons for a week) and realized that I felt better up and walking than I did laying down. It was more gory than I thought between the instruments and all the blood.

Breathing helped more than anything. I was comfortable with the people there, and I got dressed after I washed my hands. I walked out in less than 10 minutes. I think it was a record. I finished the paperwork and was given juice, but I didn't feel anything but severe cramping and wanted to walk it off. I walked about 3/10 mile to the train station, 3 train stops later and I was almost home, which I walked the rest of the way. I felt very bowlegged and a little in shock. The feeling of shock passed once I reached my door. I put on pajamas, smoked a bowl of cannabis, and ate half a sandwich and some soup. I was a little dazed, but that was probably the blood loss... not sure how much, but it looked like a lot. I slept for several hours without incident.

I'm almost 12 hours post the procedure. No nausea, not much cramping, and no blood clots - basically, a normal period with more pain. I'll take another Motrin and an alprazolam before bed.

I am now fully protected against pregnancy for 10-12 years. I plan a pregnancy sooner than that (if at all) but not yet; not anytime soon. My partner was in full support of my decision; it's a relief to know that we won't have to depend on hormones anymore which I believe are dangerous to the body, though they provide some benefits. My biggest risk is expulsion of the IUD, as I have never had a child and my body is definitely recognizing that it has a foreign body recently inserted! I hope that doesn't happen.

I feel a sense of shock that I could take that much pain, but I'm proud that I did. It's good to know that I won't be having a child until I want one.

I recommend that any woman who is in a monogamous relationship (this is hugely important - STDs are a risk factor in pelvic inflammatory disease) to consider this method. Many doctors are hesitant to give an IUD to a woman who has never had children... though it may have been painful (really painful) I can expect more reliability and fewer side effects than if I had remained on a hormonal method. It's worth discussing and the pain is over quickly... to an extent. I'm now 11 hours with my IUD. Many women name theirs... I'm still deciding on a name and still bleeding and cramping, but it is the only thing that needs to be in my uterus for now. :)

Yay! Oww! Time for more ibuprofen. :)

My girlfriend is considering a copper IUD for the same reasons you dislike hormone based birth control methods. Thanks for the write up.

It really baffles me why the copper IUD is so rare in the USA when its so common elsewhere.

aanallein said:
My girlfriend is considering a copper IUD for the same reasons you dislike hormone based birth control methods. Thanks for the write up.

It really baffles me why the copper IUD is so rare in the USA when its so common elsewhere.

Most hormonal birth control methods are substantially cheaper over the short term, but it's a crapshoot whether they are covered under many insurances in the US. For me, my depressive symptoms worsened when I was on both the Pill and NuvaRing. I also got intermittent high blood pressure, which was alarming. My regular OB-GYN approved me for the IUD but would have charged me about $800-900 as insurance wouldn't cover it. I since obtained other insurance benefits, and it was covered in full. I was paying a $25 copay and my insurance company was being billed another $75 for the NuvaRing - this new plan covered the IUD.

There was an IUD in the 70s called the "Dalkon Shield" (google search is easier than me posting a source) that caused complications in many women. The IUDs available today in the US number only two: one copper, nonhormonal (mine) and one called the Mirena (delivers hormones). I went with the copper because I want to ovulate normally, which I believe will preserve my fertility when and if I decide to have a child. Both IUDs are completely reversible, and all I'll have to do at such time I would like to conceive is have it removed by a clinician, then I could get pregnant immediately.

It is definitely worth it for your GF to talk to her doc or clinic about it. She has the right to the birth control method of her choice. I wouldn't have changed a thing about my experience except maybe getting the paracervical block; still I'm glad I was able to do it without because I recovered faster. The blood loss is manageable, though I do notice it; I feel weak. Since I'm not anemic, it's not a big deal.

I was off hormones for several weeks - very stressful weeks including a move, a vacation and a change of jobs. I still felt overall more balanced. It's nice :)

thankyou for sharing your story (i had no idea about the details surrounding insertion of an IUD. it sounds more complex than i had initially imagined). i commend your bravery throughout the procedure and levels of pain endurance. <3

enjoy yourselves a healthy stress free sex life (sounds wonderful!).

...kytnism...:|

A close friend of mine has an IUD and is delighted with it. She reported very heavy periods for a while after the initial installation, then lighter ones thereafter. IUDs are extremely effective (some numbers say they're more effective than a vasectomy!), very safe, and maintenance-free (there's nothing you need to do or take for years.)

Trivia: Legend has it that the concept for the IUD came from Middle-Eastern desert dwellers who would place a pebble in the uterus of a female camel that they didn't want to get pregnant. The slight irritation to the uterus prevents fertilized eggs from implanting.

Good for you!

I have had my IUD for about 2 years now and I feel like I made the best decision for birth control. I got the Copper T as well. I HATED putting all those awful hormones in my body and I swear they made me a crazy bitch! I had tried pills, shot, patch, ring, all of them. This is the best by far! No more pregnancy worries and no more headaches, and PMS.

I do hope that they warned you about the first few periods, though. Your periods will be really and I mean really heavy and very crampy. My doc told me she has taken out more than half of them within the first 3 months because of this. But, if you can get through it, after that everything is fine. I do find that I bleed a little longer (about 6 days) but to me it's worth it. I highly recommened this BC method to everyone who has no intentions of getting pregnant any time soon.

Holy Smokes! The procedure sure has changed since I had one. Didnt hurt me a bit.
But of course that was back in the day and in the US!
Glad to hear you got what YOU want!

i plan to get an IUD in Jan of 09 .. my insurance currently doesn't cover it but i'm going to use flex spending for it.

women name their IUD's? ok.. that is just not something i can get on board with. lol.

Thanks for the write up, Mariposa. I have to say though, you've only convinced me that this is something I would never want to go through with. I'll stick to wussing out with the pill.

I find just the mention of all that blood to be frightening. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd be interested in if I had the proper equipment, though.

PB: you have no idea... there are some people into stuff like that... and they would have had a field day. I estimate I lost 1/4 cup of blood at most. It sure looked like more than that, but it was the first day of my period. I imagine the dilation of my cervix just made it come out a lot faster. That is one fetish I don't get at all... but to each their own.

I asked the NP if that was the type of pain I could expect if I ever bear a child. She has 2 children (and an IUD). She said the pain was probably close to the same level, only more sustained and frequent!

I feel tired off and on and a little crampy, but I've had a pretty normal day today. I can walk comfortably more or less (not bowlegged like yesterday - lol). I'm still slightly sore in my abdomen. I'm taking it easy, no real obligations today and it's always better to take more time to rest than you think you might need.

To anyone who's nervous: if you can make it through a Brazilian wax, you can definitely handle this -- take an antianxiety drug and some ibuprofen (or a narcotic if you have access) before hand and get the paracervical block... and remember to breathe. It's over very quickly. If you've had a child, it will be easier.

Mariposa said:
I am now fully protected against pregnancy for 10-12 years.

LOL. that's what a good friend of mine thought when she had one inserted after her second child. she's now pregnant with #3. apparently the IUD fell out at some point, and she didn't realize it. she routinely checked for the strings, but apparently some women aren't able to feel them. and this isn't someone who is anatomically oblivious; she's actually a physician. so be careful!

her story definitely put my thoughts of getting one on hold for the time being.

um....... why didn't she go get it checked when she noticed the string missing? that's like a really important thing to do....

^Correct... they told me that if I at any time couldn't feel the strings (it's pretty obvious to me at least so far) to go get checked out.

Expulsion isn't the norm, but is not uncommon; many women who expel don't realize it. It is pretty small, but I think I'd notice it in the toilet... or maybe not. :D

i'm pretty sure she did get it checked out, and it was still in place at that point. but after that, if you still can't feel the strings, it's not like you're going to go in every day and have them reassure you. she is surprised that she wasn't aware her body expelled it, because it's not that tiny. it does happen, though (obviously). so beware :)

yay! I'm glad everything went well. welcome to the IUD club :) <3

Vibby: point taken. My risk of expulsion (per the doc) is only about 3% and that corrects for the fact that I am under 30 and have never had a child. I'm finding conflicting information that may indicate I should have waited until Day 4-8 of my cycle to have the procedure to maximize my chances of retention... but the horrendous cramping is over and it is evidently the heavy cramping that contributes most to expulsion.

Something like 1/5 women who do expel don't realize it... not to be graphic, but it often happens during a heavy bowel movement or if the woman has been constipated, thus contributing to straining.

I'm waiting a couple more days for sex though I was told I could have it right away if I felt like it... LOL, hell no!

I cramped a bit overnight but took an Aleve and slept in. I awoke with no cramping and bleeding that is light compared to this time 48 hours ago. It's also still there, but I don't notice it at all. If I get to Day 5 post-insertion, I'll feel a lot better. :) I think it was placed just where it needed to be by a very well trained clinician who had performed the procedure hundreds of times. My only regret is that I didn't get that damn paracervical block! I'm a little paranoid about expulsion, but so far so good. I'm checking the strings daily until I get over my paranoia. ;)

NOTE: I really hope I didn't scare anyone away with my graphic descriptions of the pain. I was honest, maybe too much so, because I wanted to give the BL women considering this method as accurate an assessment as I could. (I'm not an SLR mod for nothing, right?) ;) But keep in mind I did this without any anesthesia or narcotics -- either or both and it probably would have just felt like a pinch or two. It was over very quickly. I did not cry or jump. The cramping afterward was bad but normal menstrual cramping. PLEASE don't let the fear pain get in the way of you talking to your doctor about this method! It's overall less painful than having a baby or an abortion I would imagine... and by not supporting Big Pharma and its heinous, inadequately tested artificial hormones whose long-term effects remain a mystery.

I didn't find it painful at all, really. But I had it put in six weeks after i had my second child which probably helped a bit.

Congrats on finally getting the BC method you felt was right for you, Mariposa!

so, i've thought about the iud a lot. i've never been preganant and none of the 6 different types of bc i have been have worked for me.

i'm under the impression that conception can actually occur, though, right? it's just that the iud irritates the lining of your uterus so said egg cannot implant.

correct me if i am wrong though.