• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

My IUD Story: battle fought and won!

Thanks for posting this, Mariposa! <3

As much as your post kind of turned me off to wanting to get this done, I'm going to go through with it anyway. I have about 2 weeks at the beginning of August where I won't be in classes. I speculate this would probably be the best time for me to get this done.

Admittedly, I'm a little more scared now that I was before, but at least I have something forewarning me of what could possibly happen.

I've spoken to the boyfriend, read him excerpts of your post, and he's going to actually go in with me to have this done.

Thanks so much for the in depth report.

I have been thinking off and on about IUD's since BC #5 is just totally effecting my mood. When I get mad, i get real mad. It is kind of reassuring to hear anothers experiences to have a better understanding of what I was considering.

Thanks again!

xox

The most important thing for any woman considering an IUD is to consult with her doctor or clinician. Most are reticent, but if hormonal birth control methods are truly making you nuts, stand up for your rights and protect your health. It is your right and your responsibility to use birth control as you see fit unless there is a medical reason why you can't - if you have any uterine abnormalities or any infection, you are not a candidate for an IUD.

I am now at Day 7 of my cycle, and 7 days post-insertion. I had my first orgasm yesterday post-insertion... and it was INTENSE in all the good ways. I have not bled from my period in about 48 hours. My IUD remains in place. I have had no cramping since about day 4. The contractions through orgasm did not expel the IUD. Everything is as it should be.

I remain steadfast in my belief that the IUD is underutilized in the US for women who have not given birth. I have had no infection and no complications. I am glad I got through it OK and again, I won't underestimate the pain, but it is over very quickly and was nothing compared to the emotional pain I experienced over longer time spans with hormonal methods.

I just called the clinic that inserts them here where I live, and they didn't really ask any questions other than me having a PAP smear. This is weird because the clinic I used to go to, the nurses were pretty anti-IUD unless you've had a kid.

So, yes, I agree with Mariposa. Be persistent with getting one. I found a clinic that is willing to do it with no major questions asked.

I go to Planned Parenthood, if that helps anyone.

WOW! Thanks for the report Mariposa! I've always been curious about how the procedure actually works and you've answered all my questions. Thanks!

I must say that you are a stronger woman than me. That description sounds painful, although I'm glad you gave the details. I've always assumed the size of the IUD was bigger as well. Planned Parenthood is an incredible resource and I go there as well eras3r. At least in my city they really care about what the woman wants and her health.

lunanueva, here (and i'm sure elsewhere), it really depends on what clinic you go to. i finally found one where the nurses aren't rude, and they have always answered my questions and been there to assist me. at the one where i was denied an iud, the tech that i spoke to got rude with me because i told her i wasn't interested in having children. she was pregnant.

so, now i go to the clinic with all the crazy old ladies, and i love them. :)

i was just pretty amazed when i called a few hours ago how easy it was. all they asked me was if i had a PAP anytime this year and when i wanted to schedule my appointment.

i'm going to check to make sure i don't have a copper allergy first. what sucks, though, is that i have to be on antihistamines everyday, except in the winter. i'm sure, regardless, if i had an allergy, my skin would show it as my medications aren't for skin allergies.

I've had my IUD for about 3 years now. I've had zero issues, and wonder why I never got it before.
I'm put off a bit but how much pain the OP described. When I had mine put it, it was rather basic, typical pap if you will with the speculum, then she "hooked" me up, for lack of a better term. There was some cramping, odd feelings, but no blood and nothing that would warrent pain medication whatsoever. It lasted all of five minutes. I went back a few weeks later and she checked everything out, and all is well.

Mine is plastic/flexible and has stopped my cycle all together. Not a bad little doohickey if I do say so myself. http://www.mirena-us.com/howmirenaworks.html?WT.srch=1

tigger420: the Mirena is easier to insert than the Paragard; the mechanism is a little different. I wanted to be free of hormones - the Mirena works for many women and is a great contraceptive option. It just wasn't for me.

The description of my pain was my own subjective experience; as I said, I didn't mean to put anyone off. The procedure was not a big deal. The pain was intense but did not last. As I said above, I didn't jump or cry, and I was apprehensive because I've never had anything in my uterus before.

eras3r: I have many allergies; copper isn't among them. You might try getting a cheapie copper bracelet and wear it to see if you react? The Mirena may be an option for you if you do are, in fact, allergic to copper. The dose of copper introduced through the Paragard (per the manufacturer's website) is less than what the average woman takes in through food per day. A known allergy to copper is a contraindication, though.

I also went to Planned Parenthood. They're an amazing resource and are true advocates of women choosing the birth control that we feel is right for us. <3 The clinicians I've visited are all extremely professional and informative; I can't recommend PP highly enough.

Mariposa, I was going to either buy a cheapy bracelet/ring or just go to the hardware store and pick up some wire to either fashion into one or the other. I would think, with the weird foods I eat, that I would have noticed if I have a copper allergy by now, one would think. But, I'd rather pay the extra few bucks just to make sure. I read that some women that are allergy to nickel may be allergic to copper, but I've never found a problem when I've handled it in labs and what not (I'm a geology major).

The only downside is that PP here doesn't offer Mirena. So I would more than likely have to go to my health care provider to do so. We'll see. :)

eras3r said:
The only downside is that PP here doesn't offer Mirena. So I would more than likely have to go to my health care provider to do so. We'll see. :)

When I was looking into cheaper ways to do this, I looked at a variety of reputable Canadian pharmacy websites (all require a prescription from a US doctor/NP). I happened to notice that some have Mirena available for anywhere between $225-500. If your clinician at PP would be willing to write you a script for it, you could import it 100% legally. It may have to be shipped to your pharmacy or your clinician, but if you shop around, yep, it's 100% legal.

Or you could take a vacation somewhere that a PP has it... it was offered to me as an option and I did consider it but did not want to risk hormones any longer. Probably there is also an antibody test that you can get blood drawn to find out if you have antibodies to copper. That's cool that you're a geology major! :) Rocks rock :D

Since you say you don't wish to have children, the Paragard is good for 10-12 years while the Mirena is good for 5. If you change your mind, both are reversible.

My partner and I finally tried it out. ;) I have found an odd side effect (a good one) - the two orgasms I've had so far with this little alien thing inside me have been mindblowing, and the first I had I thought I was going to black out afterward in the good, OMG BEST SEX EVER way. Has anyone else experienced this? It could be psychosomatic now that I don't have to worry about becoming pregnant anymore, but I was on the very reliable NuvaRing for most of my relationship and my previous relationship and wasn't all that scared. Or it could be that being hormone-free has enhanced my ability to orgasm?

Either way, I'm happy :)

I've checked with a few clinics about a copper test, but either a) no one will do it or b) it's too costly. i was told by the PP RN that the easiest way to test is to wear something made of pure copper for a while. i'm sure, with me, if i'm allergic, i'll find out within a day or less.

if this doesn't work, i may go to my regular health care provider to see if they can put mirena in. i hope it doesn't come to that, but i'm really sick of taking pills.

eras3r said:
I've checked with a few clinics about a copper test, but either a) no one will do it or b) it's too costly. i was told by the PP RN that the easiest way to test is to wear something made of pure copper for a while. i'm sure, with me, if i'm allergic, i'll find out within a day or less.

Yes, exactly. Can you abstain from antihistamines for a day or two before you put on the bracelet without exacerbating existing allergies? If you have histamine blockers in your system, the copper bracelet test would be useless. And in the (unlikely) event that you have an anaphylactic reaction, do you keep an Epi-Pen around? Better safe than sorry with allergies.

hey i had the nova copper iud tuesday and all i felt was cramping wen they inserted it... and ever since life as been gr8! i recommend this to any women! x

devils_daughter said:
hey i had the nova copper iud tuesday and all i felt was cramping wen they inserted it... and ever since life as been gr8! i recommend this to any women! x

Congrats :) And welcome to BL. I'm not too experienced with cramps, got some here and there (many women seem to experience cramps that are terrible), but would you agree that the pain of insertion isn't really that bad in relation to the benefits?

I'm a little worried about my first real post-IUD period. It's due at the end of the month. Statistics say that blood loss could be increased by a lot... and though I don't cramp, I'm a bleeder. I guess I'll just deal with it when it comes.

I couldn't find its strings the other day (have since found them) and so I'm going to get an ultrasound to make sure it's where it's intended to be. I am definitely being a hypochondriac about this. I just want to make sure it's not sticking up my fallopian tube, and the ultrasound will confirm that. It's weird having a foreign object in my uterus. It's also kind of cool. :) I'm a cyborg!

Mariposa said:
Yes, exactly. Can you abstain from antihistamines for a day or two before you put on the bracelet without exacerbating existing allergies? If you have histamine blockers in your system, the copper bracelet test would be useless. And in the (unlikely) event that you have an anaphylactic reaction, do you keep an Epi-Pen around? Better safe than sorry with allergies.

I got my bracelet Thursday afternoon (rather speedy!). So I didn't take my antihistamines today or yesterday, and I had absolutely no problems. I figured if I would, it would have shown up by now. I left it on for about 12-14 hours both days.

I've never had anaphylactic reactions to things. It's always just been skin irritation that Benadryl cream helps, and worst case scenario, going to the doctor to get a megadose of cortisone shot in my bum. :)

^Cool - allergies are generally mild, but that can change in an instant (per my doc). FWIW, I'm allergic to no animals, no metals, but I have had anyphylactic reactions to several antibiotics, and wheat/gluten makes me break out into hives at worst. I had a reaction to toxic mold earlier this year that put me in extreme danger of going through anyphylactic shock. I was on high dose prednisone with a taper for a week, that put a dent in it but I had to move because there was mold in my former apartment. Also allergic to raw tomatoes, pineapple, and strawberries - there's a common thread, but the docs haven't been able to figure it out. Mosquitoes make me blow up like a balloon. Kinda cool that I rarely get sick though other than that.

If you don't want to be on hormones, then the Paragard is the best choice. Mirena contains only progestins, so you'd avoid any estrogen-related side effects. I feel far more balanced off artificial hormones than on. Every woman is different.

Oh, and on naming: I haven't. A lot of women do. I just call it my "little friend" or "cyborg device". Being off hormones for several weeks has made my bio-clock act up badly. We're dealing with this by adopting two kittens. :)

Good thing we're looking into getting a puppy soon then! :) I absolutely, positively do not want children, and reading that makes me wonder if my biological clock will suddenly be ticking after being on the pill for 12 years. Yikes!

I'm sorry about your allergies, Mariposa. That sounds REALLY scary! I was tested for about 100+ things several years back, and it seemed like the only thing I wasn't allergic to was mold. :\ Most of my allergies popped up out of nowhere, too. So hopefully this doesn't happen.

Update after first post-insertion checkup.

The checkup was a precaution to ensure it was still there. I checked the strings a few times. About 50% of the time I can feel them; the other half I can't. Since it's a new method to me, I was paranoid about expelling it.

It remains perfectly in place. :) I didn't need an ultrasound; a simple exam was enough.

I had a normal but heavy and painful period about 10 days ago. It lasted about 5 days.

My clinician answered all of my additional questions today. She has placed a couple hundred IUDs in her practice. She's seen about 5 expelled, all of the women either found it in the toilet or their panties. Expulsion is most common before the 20th day post-insertion. Anomalies and failures are almost unheard of with this method. Complications are very rare.

I'll never truly feel I am out of the woods because I'm a little prone to hypochondriasis, but the possibility of my device expelling or failing at this stage is slim to none.

The IUD has done nothing to affect my bio-clock recently. My emotional balance has sought its own level -- I went through a bad depressive episode due to unrelated life stuff recently, but I came through it well with sanity intact. It is odd to experience my emotions again in a natural state. I think about kids about 2-3 times a month now, for a few hours. I know now that I won't be having them without the active decision to remove the IUD. The sense of relief and pride in taking control of my fertility makes the pain a distant memory.

It was worth it :) I offered my experience to show that even a young-ish woman who has never been pregnant can get an IUD with persistence in the US, that however you choose to manage your fertility, you can get what you need if you try hard enough. My sanity and my sex drive are all the better because I exercised my option to go through with a safe and healthy underused method. I am happy, my partner is happy, I remain healthy and free of hormones. An overall win, in my experience. :)

i'm glad it's working out well for several ladies on BL. :)

i think i'm going to have to wait until december to get mine, though. call me paranoid, but i keep having visions of it possibly expelling while i'm in the middle of class. yeah, i'm totally over analyzing it a tad, but whatever. plus, i won't really have time during the school year to get it done since i'll be there every day of the week. :\

i have had mine for a little over three years with no problems. the only thing i hate is how bad my cramps are. but they were pretty harsh before i went on the pill, so i think its my body, not the IUD.