• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Akathasia? Using soma for opiate withdrawal

Deep Kick

Bluelighter
I have only been able to find this in one thread about soma on bl search. I am wondering if soma (carisoprodol), instead of making opiate withdrawal more bearable, can actually increase the restless, heart-racing, jump out of your skin, feeling known i believe, as akathasia. I found this in one post but I wanted to see what others thought or if someone could tell me why this would be i'd appreciate it. Also, is this true? Anyone have any experience with soma during withdrawal?

I figured a muscle relaxant would help but I could be wrong and the last thing I want to do is take the chance and end up feeling worse than I do already. Let me know asap. it would be greatly appreciated. WD sucks. thanks.

if anything, since they are so sedating, i figured i could take 225-350mg to help fall asleep .

Last edited:
hmm thanks must've missed that one. I have never tried Baclofen so I am not sure how similar the two are. I took 5mg Valium two times today so far but it's not helping all that much. I'm still not convinced enough to take the chance. Anyone else know anything or have any experience using Soma as a sleep aid?

on its own, soma is some powerful stuff. Very sedating and fast-acting. A half a pill was fine first time I tried. Two knocked me out (and I have a high opiate tolerance..at 80mg OC a day when i first tried soma, and I have mild benzo tolerane). There's a bunch of threads on soma. i know soma is great with opiates. but is it bad for opiate withdrawal? i just really need to know about it's use in easing withdrawal.

Last edited:
soma is great for withdrawls i've heard. i would go ahead and eat it, it will help with the RLS at the least

i found this on wikipedia:

"The use of methadone with carisoprodol and an NSAID such as diclofenac where indicated is a treatment for chronic low back pain which is gaining in popularity in the United States and other countries. After significant somonolence in some patients in the first few days of this protocol for pain control, patients are able to regain overall function very well in a lot of cases and the interaction of carisoprodol and methadone with the NMDA system in the CNS may be part of the excellent pain relief and attenuation of some opioid side effects usually obtained by using this protocol"

I wish they would elaborate on the part about "excellent pain relief and attenuation of some opioid side effects"...

Still can't find anything specifically about withdrawal from opiates and soma.

i would assume it would help because its so relaxing/sedating and also boosts your mood... but where is the post where the guy said it made his WD worse?

Soma and baclofen aren't very similar Baclofen isn't recreational, for one.

As for the person who heard that soma was good for opiate withdrawal... that seems to depend on the individual. Even when not withdrawaling, taking too much soma can cause an akathisia-like state, somewhat like RLS, but also in other parts of the body. During withdrawal, a small dose might help, but if you take too much you're going to feel even worse than before.

I don't know if there is one answer to this question. Individual responses vary.

I usually titer down with baclofen and opiates. Baclo is a bit like tramadol which works well for opiate wd as well. Problem with baclo is that, according to my drug guide, quite addictive. I've never taken it for longer than 4 days, and for me wd lasts weeks (talkin about the psychological component), it gets me thru.

johanneschimpo said:
Soma and baclofen aren't very similar Baclofen isn't recreational, for one.

As for the person who heard that soma was good for opiate withdrawal... that seems to depend on the individual. Even when not withdrawaling, taking too much soma can cause an akathisia-like state, somewhat like RLS, but also in other parts of the body. During withdrawal, a small dose might help, but if you take too much you're going to feel even worse than before.

I don't know if there is one answer to this question. Individual responses vary.

It's my understanding that massive doses (10-15x a therapeautic dose) are recreational. I never had enough tablets or the appetite (and I mean appetite) to try.

I wasn't talking about benzo withdrawal, only opioid withdrawal. I never had to deal with benzo withdrawal.

With opiate withdrawal, even the smallest dose gave me horrible akathasia. I wouldn't even consider taking it or giving it to someone else under such circumstances.

It may only last three hours, but it's a horrible three hours.

Ham-milton said:
It's my understanding that massive doses (10-15x a therapeautic dose) are recreational. I never had enough tablets or the appetite (and I mean appetite) to try.

Baclo, as well as tramadol, dramatically decrease ones seizure threshold. I've never taken a supratherapeutic dose of baclofen, it seems risky.
I'm not sure where benzo withdrawl came into this, my bad, but if one was in benzo wd and ramped up on baclo you would have about guaranteed yurself a seizure.

That's actually not true. A few early studies found a tenuous link between seizures and baclofen use, but later studies found that link to be false and actually that it has minor anticonvulsant effects.

Ham-milton said:
That's actually not true. A few early studies found a tenuous link between seizures and baclofen use, but later studies found that link to be false and actually that it has minor anticonvulsant effects.

I haven't heard that, but I don't doubt it. Drug guides that I base my career off of for safe care have so much bullshit info. My cutting edge medical education is like 2 years old and already outdated. I gotta head full of crap...

But my new avatar is cool. I just licked it. Tasted great!

somas=good

I have taken soma many a time while sick [both to help thru detox and when I was waiting to score and super sick] and whenever I take it when I'm dope sick, I dose like 700mg and can't stay awake and sleep like a baby for 2-4 hours, it's short lasting which sucks, but after the sleep I usually get a slight benzo-like high for a little bit.

But soma is definately something to have on your side while detoxing, much better than flexiril IMO&E

but obviously because mixing somas with benzos or bupe as I have come across it has a very synergestic effect with these two, once I took 700mgs of soma and shot up 1/4 of what I usually shoot when I shoot H and I had a hard time gettin the needle out of my arm, let alone staying up to clean up my gear and walk myself to my bed..

but besides all that

Soma for detox=Good

mixed responses...never a good thing for someone who is trying to decide whether or not to take something haha. so OP i feel bad... but everyone's posts make sense and it shows you that people really do all react differently to drugs and for some people soma may help opiate WD's tremendously and for someone else it may make it worse (the same dose).. i guess try something like a 1/6th of a pill or something just to test the waters so to speak...

As ive had a script to 90x350mg somas a month for quite a while, you can imagine ive taken plenty. Not only does it pair nicely with just about every other drug (wouldnt know about speedy ones though..yech...) but its also a godsend in terms of coping with withdrawal.

Even at my outrageous soma tolerance (I can take up to 10 or 12 without passing out) 2 or 3 soma 350's take the vast majority of muscle aches etc. away.

Soma for opiate withdrawal

I will give you my personal opinion a little later today. I have ordered Sons from an online pharmacy and will be receiving it soon. Im withdrawig from Suboxone wich is a very strong narcotic.