• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin, Missed Shots, & Heat

Abscess Treatment

Self-Care at Home

If the abscess is small (less than 1 cm or less than a half-inch across), applying warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes 4 times daily can help.
Do not attempt to drain the abscess by pressing on it. This can push the infected material into the deeper tissues.
Do not stick a needle or other sharp instrument into the abscess center because you may injure an underlying blood vessel or cause the infection to spread.

Source: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/abscess/page6_em.htm

Hmm. Interesting.

I have no comments except that I was told it was dangerous to put heat on an abscess, even though deep down I always thought you were supposed to, so I really have no idea.

EDIT - everything Im finding says heat is the way to go with an abscess.

Treatment of Abscess
Small abscesses may be helped by applying warm compresses to the area several times a day. This will sometimes promote spontaneous drainage of the abscess which is important since the primary treatment of abscesses is to drain them. However, it is also important to not attempt to drain an abscess yourself. This can lead to trauma of the surrounding tissue and potentially help spread the underlying infection.

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/9/main.html#TreatmentofAbscess

Ice is useful immediately after a missed shot in order to reduce bruising and swelling.

Heat can be used when a local infection starts out to assist the body in fighting the infection. It's a standard piece of advice given to people who inject and who suspect a local infection could be starting out. A proportion of abscesses aren't helped by anything other than antibiotics and draining / packing. Attempting to drain an abscess yourself can be dangerous, because if you spike through the abscess, or through squeezing it the infection can very quickly spread to your entire system (eg septicemia) which is life threatening and difficult to treat.

Download this pdf for the whole story on abscesses and soft tissue infections -> The Care and Treatment of Skin and Soft Tissue Infections among Injection Drug Users in the Community Setting (pdf)

Last edited:
Try to get some burn creme (the stuff that has vitamin e in it) stuff works wonders most needle-exchanges will it give it you for free where i live

IMO Dr. Pill RX,

Run area under hot water for while, while there wash with soap followed by rubbing alcohol (not really a must, but hey it couldn't hurt) follwed by a warm compress. After removal massage the area if not too painful in hopes of absorbing into the tissue. Followed by a cold compress to reduce pain, swelling and bruising.

HTML:
Do not stick a needle or other sharp instrument into the abscess center because you may injure an underlying blood vessel or cause the infection to spread.
may be this is true but I did it and it worked all the white/yellowish shit got out and my pain was gone within a day and abscess was gone within couple of days after but I did it when my abscess was like 2 inches in diameter and it was ready to pop. I know it was stupid but it worked

fuckkkk, i would never try that!
very dangerous info in above post.

Pillthrill said:
Abscess Treatment

Self-Care at Home

If the abscess is small (less than 1 cm or less than a half-inch across), applying warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes 4 times daily can help.
Do not attempt to drain the abscess by pressing on it. This can push the infected material into the deeper tissues.

Source: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/abscess/page6_em.htm

Pillthrill, jus out of curiousity, do you shoot up? I see you post a lot of info about it, but its never first person experiences. maybe i got it wrong but it seems like you got alot of interest in IV use without actually doin it...Jus wonderin whats up wit that...If i misunderstood you then Im sorry...i jus thought it was weird for someone to be up in every needle related thread w/out doin it them self...But if that aint the case my bad.

i need immediate help!! i just took a shot of dialudid into my hand and i thought i registered, i could of came out when i went to push in, i pushed in about 5 cc's...now i have like a white swollen rectangle under my skin on the top of my hand.. what can i do to get rid of this? should I be worrying?

Just put heat on it till it busts on its own.

A friend of mine just had an abscess on her ankle and she put heat on it from the day it turned into an abscess (about a week and a half ago or two weeks ago) and a few days ago it finally just broke open on its own.

Make sure you take care of it properly after it opens up.

DoOrDie: Do you mean 5 units? 5ccs is 5mL's, and thats A LOT.

If it was 5 units (5 units of measurement on the needle barrel) then you have nothing to worry about. Just watch it for a few days, if it doesnt go away, keep an eye on it still and if it gets worse, go to the hospital. It will probably go away in a couple days.

sixpartseven said:
Just put heat on it till it busts on its own.

A friend of mine just had an abscess on her ankle and she put heat on it from the day it turned into an abscess (about a week and a half ago or two weeks ago) and a few days ago it finally just broke open on its own.

Make sure you take care of it properly after it opens up.

DoOrDie: Do you mean 5 units? 5ccs is 5mL's, and thats A LOT.

If it was 5 units (5 units of measurement on the needle barrel) then you have nothing to worry about. Just watch it for a few days, if it doesnt go away, keep an eye on it still and if it gets worse, go to the hospital. It will probably go away in a couple days.

Sorry, it was 5 units.. it looks like the liquid is just sitting ontop of the skin... but i registered.. this is pissin me off so much, i just wanna try to get that rush one time.. ive tried over 10x and havent gotten it once..

How much water did you use to prepare the shot? If you used enough, missing 5 units shouldnt keep you from getting the rush.

Even though you registered, its possible the needle wasnt all the way in the vein and a little leaked out, or you accidentally pulled the needle out or pushed it through the vein without even realizing while shooting. Its not big deal. A tiny amount like that usually will heal on its own. I cant even count how many times Ive missed tiny amounts like that, and Ive not once ever had an abscess.

sixpartseven said:
How much water did you use to prepare the shot? If you used enough, missing 5 units shouldnt keep you from getting the rush.

Even though you registered, its possible the needle wasnt all the way in the vein and a little leaked out, or you accidentally pulled the needle out or pushed it through the vein without even realizing while shooting. Its not big deal. A tiny amount like that usually will heal on its own. I cant even count how many times Ive missed tiny amounts like that, and Ive not once ever had an abscess.

did the area get all bruised and nasty?

Yeah, it will get fucked-up-looking for a couple days, but it will get better. If it doesnt, you can PM me personally if you want instead of posting in a thread and I will help you out. I can almost promise you that it will go away on its own though. Just put warm compress' or hot towels on it a couple times a day for the next few days, and rub it tonight and tomorrow to help the liquid absorb into your muscle.

And I absolutely got no rush, last time I hit was the crook of my arm, I did 24 mg of dilaudid.. the crook of my arm worked great, was very simple.. but left me with red spot around the shot area.. I cant have that.. although I registered and it was a successful shot, i still felt no rush...

You got no rush in the crook of your arm? Or you did?

I have no idea why you didnt get a rush this time. Youre just going to have to count it as a loss and move on. Theres nothing you can do about it now. I know it sucks ass, but it happens.

Just focus on your hand for now. If you shoot again, do it where it works. If you use a fresh needle and manage to get in your vein the first time you stick the needle in, it will minimize the track it leaves on the skin, so try to make it so you only have to stick yourself once. Shooting in the hand is risky and hard. I would avoid it if I were you.

lacey k said:
Pillthrill, jus out of curiousity, do you shoot up? I see you post a lot of info about it, but its never first person experiences. maybe i got it wrong but it seems like you got alot of interest in IV use without actually doin it...Jus wonderin whats up wit that...If i misunderstood you then Im sorry...i jus thought it was weird for someone to be up in every needle related thread w/out doin it them self...But if that aint the case my bad.

I will admit that I have. Its not really something I care to really broadcast. I have always had a sick interest in it, I think through rebellion of finding the ultimate "do not do" but I realize now that its not really a good road to start heading down.

Yeah never again will I try it, it jsut seemed like a good spot, not noticable.. It was easy to hit the crook of my arm, but I felt no rush then either.. I hear of people doing 4 mg of dilaudid and getting knocked off their ass... I did 24 and felt absolutely nothing... it was horrible.. I did hit it with the first shot, a 28guage needle.. and it didnt leave a bad mark, but it was a very lil black and blue under the skin, and it left a lil red mark... its so obvious when your marked up on that part of your body.. so ive tried my feet, hand, side of thumb, bicep (I GOT TWO HUGE black and blues the size of a baseball when i tried there)... but i cant walk around with marks on the crook of my arm, it looks to obvious, and people are suspicious about me due to my past problems with opiates.. I couldnt let it get out again.. I just truly wanna feel that rush one single day and i wont do it again.. but i think its about time to give up..

Surprisingly, its not that obvious on the crook of your arm. You think it is because you know its there.

Ive walked around with short sleeves and track marks on the crook of my arm for the last year and no one who didnt already know they were there noticed.

You just notice them and think they are more noticeable than they really are. Plus, its easy to hide them by positioning your arm just right.

Just give up. If you havent gotten a rush from 24mg, youre just going to drag yourself back down again for what? One rush? Its not worth it.