• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What does opiate withdrawal feel like to YOU?

Alcohol120

Bluelighter
I've been wondering about the generalities of opiate/opioid withdrawals. I know the standard symptoms; Agitation, Nausea, Runny nose, Sweating... Also the more severe symptoms such as Abdominal pain, Diarrhea, Extremely Dilated pupils, and Vomiting.

But my question to you is what specific symptoms do you come down with? Not the stuff listed above (list that too if you like...), but anything that you get specifically? What symptoms don't you get? Anything that you feel extremely lucky NOT to have?

For me, I can always tell the beginnings of dope sickness when I lay down to go to sleep. I can't stop shaking my legs, and I get this strange "sensation" in my crotch area; It feels like I'm on edge, almost the feeling you get when you know you're getting laid later that night. It's impossible to sleep. Not sleeping coupled with standard opiate withdrawal, I feel extremely irritated the next day. Example: The second day into some withdrawals I was having, my girlfriend called me. I told her I didn't feel good and that I would call her later. She called me back like 30 minutes later to tell me her grandmother had just died. I almost broke up with her just for calling me, even though she had every reason to.

Luckily, I never get any of the intestinal symptoms mentioned.... Thankfully no diarrhea or nausea for me.

What do you think?

It feels to me like I'm dying, but I know it will pass in a few days, unless its fucking methadone.

Basically feels like Im being continuously hit by a train. Like...this is hard to explain. Its sort of like the moment of impact -- the train slamming in to my body at a million miles an hour -- being stretched out for 4 - 5 days or however long Im sick, PLUS, sneezing, yawning, and shitting myself at the same time.

My entire body hurts, im irritable -- like violently angry, irritable --, I hate everyone, have to constantly poop, cant sit still for more than 20 seconds, my nose gets runny and makes me sneeze BUT not just a couple times. I seriously will sneeze like 20 times in a row with-in like 30 seconds. YAWNING. Thats fucking annoying as shit.

Mostly its the sneezing and yawning that seems unique to me. Everyone else I know who does dope never gets those two symptoms.

For me it starts with some yawning, and a little eye watering.

Then my stomach will start hurting. A little bit, to start, but quickly becoming the worst pain I've ever imagined. And I go through it repeatedly, though I doubt each time is really worse.

Then I'll have some diarrhea, for a few hours.

That goes away for a day or so (that may be because I take Loperamide just before the diarrhea sets in). From that point on, the yawns and eye watering, nose running, just gets worse.

That's not the worst of it, though. The worst part is the agitation that follows. Just sitting there, muscles want to move, yawning, watering. Just thinking how bad I want some relief.

Never really got beyond that point though. I never went through a full withdrawal, fortunately. Well, that's not true. I have, but they were never as bad as people make it sound.

It sucks balls IMO i've avoided it by keeping my Oxy and Hydrocodone use down these days.

Ditto on the restless legs while lying in bed, it's kept me up for hours at a time

Mine is mostly similar to ^

Explosive fire shits are nasty, RLS is absolutely horrid, yawning, muscle pain, watery eyes, running nose ... all very bad ..

feeling cold, then dying from heat 2 minutes after ... then freezing again ... waking up in sweat ...

Huge pupils never cease to amaze me

but worst of all is _that_ feeling in the mid part of my back ...

You know the feeling which makes you rip your face off ...

Like when you spent 5 hours in bed trying to get to sleep .. and you are feeling really sleepy, but moment you close your eyes that feeling in the back starts and you want to rip your face off ...

That is the worst thing of it all

But luckily nothing of that is happening thanks to my 500 10mg codeine pills CWE which is saving my life right now

First my eyes start running non stop , followed by my nose running non stop .. they start out slow then pick up the pace , then my joints start to flare up , finishing with my back , then i get cold , i never sweat tho only get cold , sometimes ill get hot but very rarley , and my legs start to twitch and spasm uncontrollably ... and i get the biggest headache in the world and everything that someone says to me is basically like nails on a chalk board ..

normally at the beginning of each month ill buy myself a handful of benzos just incase i may happen to withdrawl but its very rare .

I forgot to mention lately, and numerous times last night... As soon as a start to fall asleep, I would jump in my sleep very suddenly. The first time I knocked the TV remote clear across the room and the second time my hand hit the wall. I couldn't deal with it anymore so I broke down and parachuted 5mg methadone to stave the withdrawal.

^ I fucking hate that part of withdrawal. Cause all you want is just to go to sleep and you finally lay down and your about to fall asleep when you randomly shake.

Exhaustion (but don't count on sleeping), pain all over body, body temperature problems (chills/sweats), doing any movement is a monumental task, just walking up the stairs feels like running a marathon, uncontrollable arm/leg shakes and kicks, depression, boredom, time passes very slowly, nothing is interesting or enjoyable, eyes/nose water, yawn excessively.

Good times

runny nose, sweaty all over, cramps, stomache pains... i w/d from bupe for a bit till i was put on the done, it was unpleasant.... I've also w/d from codeine like 4 or 5 times, but they are quite minor w/d, easily(ish) to cold turkey from 600mg/day

i agree with above, heres how the symptoms usually manifest themselves for me:

1. runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
2. stomach bloating, GI tract stuff..
3. lethargy, (want to lay in bed all day)
4. depression, boredom, bad bad cravings.
5. restlessness, restless legs (sometimes)
6. inability to sleep (my worst side of w/d)
7. blood pressure plummeting / skyrocketing
7- w/ hot & cold flashes (sweats/headache)
8. interrupted sleep (no 8hr sleeping, naps)
9. and last: relapse, rinse, lather and repeat =]

Here is a very specific thing that has happened to me from opiate w/d-

When trying to sleep, I can't. I'll get maybe an hour or two a day with naps. After a few days, I get really tired at night. The type of tired where you know that you're going to fall asleep within one minute of laying down. What happens though, is that my mind falls asleep before my body. I think I enter REM sleep before my body is actually asleep, wish I knew more about it. The bad thing is that this state is extremely scary. I have heard loud demonic voices while in it, along with hallucinations of generally scary things. Also, I can't move my body in this state, and I have to try so hard to snap out of it. Then when I wake up, I still see hallucinations, like a dark figure of a man in the doorway.

Other than that (thats kind of rare), the worst thing about opiate withdrawal for me is the stomach pain. I cannot stand the shits, the aches, the pains. I would rather go through a month of difficult psychological cravings than have the stomach pains for a week.

kasad said:
\

Like when you spent 5 hours in bed trying to get to sleep .. and you are feeling really sleepy, but moment you close your eyes that feeling in the back starts and you want to rip your face off ...

That is the worst thing of it all

\

oddly enough, this describes exactly how im feeling right now
exhaustion but can't sleep, or i go to sleep for like 2 hours then wake up and can't go back to sleep at all, just lay in bed for hours more feeling like ass.

having cramps that rival any menstrual cramp i've ever had.

feeling cold sweaty and clammy all damn day.

feeling completely asexual - don't wanna be touched at all.
i hate this! :p

I never get cramps,but I get the sweats and hot and cold flashes which really drive me crazy.I get really tired but cant fall asleep.my body gets the aches from my head to my toes.I get a runny nose,I also will keep sneezing over and over its the wierdest thing I will sneeze like 10 times in a row within sec. and also while I am having these sneezing fits everytime I will swallow I will sneeze again its really horrible I am so glad I haven't gone through w/d in awhile.

For me it's like the world is ending, but on my body.

sweating
hot and cold flashes(sometimes menopausal medicine will help with this.)
my legs AND arms have to fling themselves about to feel normal,
the worst pain I can imagine feels like it's coming from the bones in my legs
depression
desperate
it feels like I should be doing something. Like I am forgetting to do something that was important.
insomnia
to do anything takes twice as long as it should
time slows down to a grueling pace, especially when I go out and wait on my guy.
fire ants climb onto my body and every time my skin is touched in any way the ants bite.

Does anyone get the spikey skin feeling? The whole ordeal is so effing hard.(that's what she said...) Knowing other people feel the same things makes it better.

EXTREME agitation/irritability and I pretty much sleep for a full day str8
i know alot of people have insomnia trouble when w/ding, but i am the exact opposite. i can do nothing but sleep.

saveyour said:
9. and last: relapse, rinse, lather and repeat =]

^ LOL
Even if you do manage to get through it, the long ache of depression will have you going back for more of the same.

James Brown - king heroin

So squirm with discomfort, wiggle and cough
Six days of madness and you might throw me off
Curse me in name, defy me in speech
But you'd pick me up right now if I were in your reach
All through your sentence you've become resolved to your fate
Fear not, young man or woman... I'll be waiting at the gate
And don't be afraid, don't run... I'll not chase
Sure, my name is Heroin and you'll be back for a taste
Behold! You're hooked
Your foot is in the stirrup
And make haste, mount the steed, and ride him well
For the white horse of heroin will ride you to Hell

spaceyourbass said:
Here is a very specific thing that has happened to me from opiate w/d-

When trying to sleep, I can't. I'll get maybe an hour or two a day with naps. After a few days, I get really tired at night. The type of tired where you know that you're going to fall asleep within one minute of laying down. What happens though, is that my mind falls asleep before my body. I think I enter REM sleep before my body is actually asleep, wish I knew more about it. The bad thing is that this state is extremely scary. I have heard loud demonic voices while in it, along with hallucinations of generally scary things. Also, I can't move my body in this state, and I have to try so hard to snap out of it. Then when I wake up, I still see hallucinations, like a dark figure of a man in the doorway.

This happens to me on & off opiates, it's terrifying. It's a step beyond a nightmare coz you're awake. I once had the devil sitting on my bed (i'm agnostic) but he was there in broad-daylight crouching. At night you get people in your room. Man, I'm hardly scared of anything, but that is frightening. I thought it was just me. Wow.

browntar said:
This happens to me on & off opiates, it's terrifying. It's a step beyond a nightmare coz you're awake. I once had the devil sitting on my bed (i'm agnostic) but he was there in broad-daylight crouching. At night you get people in your room. Man, I'm hardly scared of anything, but that is frightening. I thought it was just me. Wow.
Its so wierd I had similar experiences like this the one I had was people chanting over me.I wonder If alot of other people experience this too?