• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What does opiate withdrawal feel like to YOU?

spaceyourbass said:
Here is a very specific thing that has happened to me from opiate w/d-

When trying to sleep, I can't. I'll get maybe an hour or two a day with naps. After a few days, I get really tired at night. The type of tired where you know that you're going to fall asleep within one minute of laying down. What happens though, is that my mind falls asleep before my body. I think I enter REM sleep before my body is actually asleep, wish I knew more about it. The bad thing is that this state is extremely scary. I have heard loud demonic voices while in it, along with hallucinations of generally scary things. Also, I can't move my body in this state, and I have to try so hard to snap out of it. Then when I wake up, I still see hallucinations, like a dark figure of a man in the doorway.

Other than that (thats kind of rare), the worst thing about opiate withdrawal for me is the stomach pain. I cannot stand the shits, the aches, the pains. I would rather go through a month of difficult psychological cravings than have the stomach pains for a week.

Look up "'sleep paralysis" and "old hag syndrome"... i used to get this too a while back

At one time I thought it was schizophrinia or something, but I'm still me so it can't be that.

Does it just stop? I've not had opiates for 2 months plus, and I've not had it all that time. I'll look up sleep paralysis, thank you phatass. Wow, can't believe other people have this as well. I was scared to tell someone coz it sounds mad.

starts with a runny nose and sweating with extreme agitation and if its summer and hot the agitation increases 10 fold. next is stomach cramps. its been awhile since my habit was bad enough that i was vomiting and shitting non stop. when i came off a 1 year anywhere from 2-8 bags of h a day i didnt get off the toilet or stop throwing up or sleep for 3 days straight. you feel dirty and nasty, just gritty. no matter how many time i shower or bathe i still feel like a dirt ball. people complain about RLS but for me my entire body twitches. i literally twitch and my body will acctually LEAP out of bed. not to mention the depression, anxiety, and if im in the mind set of im still gonna shoot the non-stop search for the next hustle so you can get high, which could come in either one hour or 5 days. I try to pratice a 1 time a week and it must be a weekend deal nowadays

For me the effects that stand-out most for me are the mental effects. I constantly feel impending doom, like there's something wrong and there's nothing I can do to fix it. I have like an overwhelming sense that everything is out of order in life and that nothing will ever be okay again... it has nothing to do with dope and is the predominant discomfort.

I get sick as well, but that doesn't make me go crazy like the mental distress does. I will lay awake all night with that nagging anxiety... exhausted but everytime I can feel myself close to falling asleep I'll get all excited like "Yes! I'm finally going to get some sleep, and get a break from this!" and by the time I finish that thought, I'm so excited that I'm awake again and have to restart the struggle of relaxing myself.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this but it's the worst symptom for me. Whenever I try to smoke a cigarette during W/D I can't stand them and it forces my gag reflex and my stomach makes the action like I need to throw up but I never do. It hurts and is extremely annoying so I usually cut down on cigs but can't stop completely.

For me, it starts out with feeling overly tired. I actually am able to sleep as it first sets in. Then, I start to sneeze uncontrollability, yawn constantly, have watery eyes etc. Diarrhea sets in for two to three days along with the above and insomnia is unbearable by the third day. I feel extreme fatigue as well. I don't get much of the body aches though. What I do get is increased heart rate (tacchycardia), elevated blood pressure and increasing anxiety as the withdrawal peaks. One other symptom that really grosses me out (as if shitting all over myself at times isn't gross enough) is that my sense of smell is extremely hightened. I mean I can smell a person's breath form yards away. I can smell the inside of my nose if you know what I mean. I also have an intensified libido during withdrawal, if there is one good symptom to go with all of this crap.

Of course, all of this gets extremely amplified if it's fucking methadone that I'm dealing with. Then I cannot sleep for weeks. i once did not sleep for 12 days. It was fucking endless! If not, it all gets better after 96 hours or so. Then I am glad to be alive and not physically dependent any longer. Oh, to get to the other side of things is such a joy to behold.

OK, that's it, sorry for being long winded.

^ yeah, forgot about that... your smell and taste go to fuck in a qrotesque horrible way. The libido thing as well is awful coz you cum really quick, it's like your body wants to empty itself of everything... sweat, shit, puke, cum...

Spacedementia897 said:
I'm not sure if anyone else feels this but it's the worst symptom for me. Whenever I try to smoke a cigarette during W/D I can't stand them and it forces my gag reflex and my stomach makes the action like I need to throw up but I never do. It hurts and is extremely annoying so I usually cut down on cigs but can't stop completely.

i get this too. if i smoke a cig i gag, brushing my teeth while detoxing is almost a lost cause cuz every 10 seconds yer gagging and half the time SOMETHING is coming up and fucking up your brushing job.

browntar said:
^ yeah, forgot about that... your smell and taste go to fuck in a qrotesque horrible way. The libido thing as well is awful coz you cum really quick, it's like your body wants to empty itself of everything... sweat, shit, puke, cum...

Not to mention the loads when you cum, look really unhealthy.

Jesse Drake II said:
Not to mention the loads when you cum, look really unhealthy.

imho i think its the body's way of clearing out your intire urinal track. I dont know about yall but when i come off a binge i can tell that i have a urinary track infection and/or kidney problems. and yes my loads look REALLY dark white and THICK i have also ejaculated yellow discharge which was urine that contained god knows what from the urinary track infections (so said my primary care physician)

you dont even want to know. oh well here goes.
severe diareah and cramps. severe sweating and chills. those are the 2 WORST. also leg muslces ache and throb, infact all your muscles do. you feel like youd certainly rather die. depression gets really bad. its hard to eat. your stomache feels fucked up as SHIT, and your mind is going crazy for a fix of some sort. the sad thing is a few edays later youll be over teh sickness, then youll find some dope and buy it and go through it all again. fucke dup

it sucks balls, well everythin form soreness, to shooting pains, to explosive diareah, sweats and chills i have gone thru oxy, hydro wd no problem, but recently i have been on methadone and now i cant get my refill until a week or two. im already starting the wd symptoms, i cant wait for them to be extra long tho

oh shit feel bad for you man. methadone wd is NOT PRETTY SHIT. i wish you the best

MemphisX3 said:
starts with a runny nose and sweating with extreme agitation and if its summer and hot the agitation increases 10 fold. next is stomach cramps. its been awhile since my habit was bad enough that i was vomiting and shitting non stop. when i came off a 1 year anywhere from 2-8 bags of h a day i didnt get off the toilet or stop throwing up or sleep for 3 days straight. you feel dirty and nasty, just gritty. no matter how many time i shower or bathe i still feel like a dirt ball. people complain about RLS but for me my entire body twitches. i literally twitch and my body will acctually LEAP out of bed. not to mention the depression, anxiety, and if im in the mind set of im still gonna shoot the non-stop search for the next hustle so you can get high, which could come in either one hour or 5 days. I try to pratice a 1 time a week and it must be a weekend deal nowadays
thats it.....^^^^^^^^ but im on such an insane amount of opiates, i never get sick :)

p.s. i kicked 140 mg of methadone (in jail obviously), the night i get let out, i get shot in the head!!(check my pix if you dont believe me)

p.s.s. you smell, cuz your sweating the dope out..thats why the BEST way to kick is in the sun by the pool, in the summer!!(here in vegas its already 105 degrees)

sixpartseven said:
Mostly its the sneezing and yawning that seems unique to me. Everyone else I know who does dope never gets those two symptoms.

^ Oh no...I'm right there with you!! I'll sneeze in 4's and 5's at-a-time for days! Constant yawning which then gives me constant watery eyes. I'm a total mess.

I'm not sure is sneezing is a symptom for me. I have really bad allergies, so I'm always sneezing and have a stuff nose. I usually sneeze twice in a row (weird, how our bodies have a recurring sneeze amount). I'll have the check next time I go through some withdrawal... because we all know that it's bound to happen again one day.

greenlittlepill said:
thats it.....^^^^^^^^ but im on such an insane amount of opiates, i never get sick :)

p.s. i kicked 140 mg of methadone (in jail obviously), the night i get let out, i get shot in the head!!(check my pix if you dont believe me)

GOD DAMN i didn't know Las Vegas was so violent....

spaceyourbass said:
When trying to sleep, I can't. I'll get maybe an hour or two a day with naps. After a few days, I get really tired at night. The type of tired where you know that you're going to fall asleep within one minute of laying down. What happens though, is that my mind falls asleep before my body. I think I enter REM sleep before my body is actually asleep, wish I knew more about it. The bad thing is that this state is extremely scary. I have heard loud demonic voices while in it, along with hallucinations of generally scary things. Also, I can't move my body in this state, and I have to try so hard to snap out of it. Then when I wake up, I still see hallucinations, like a dark figure of a man in the doorway.

Yes this is called Sleep Paralysis. I suffer severely from this. Ever since I was 14 it started. But it's actually the opposite of what you said. Your body falls asleep, but your mind is either completly awake, or not in full R.E.M, which is why you cant move, or scream. Sometimes I try so hard to scream if I know someone is close to me, so they can wake me up. Alot of times I'll have those for 20 to 30 minutes. Its torture. But I never had it when I was on heroin, which is one reason I loved it so much.

I hate that smell you get during withdrawls....and I think all guys will agree that your dick gets twice as long and thick....haha. Oh also you cry about everything. I don't think thats just heavy depression, like literally I would cry for minutes on end for no reason. blah.

I never really feel like 'dying' as some people say. It also depends on the severity of the withdrawal, but at its worse its like this. I'm really lethargic. All I wanna do is lay in my bed but ironically sleep is hard to come by. I'll often fall asleep for a bit and wake up hot and covered with sweat. While I'm up I'm really irritable and just generally hate the world, with complete apathy for the human race, lol. I have a runny nose and sneeze a lot. I usually don't experience any real pain, but just general discomfort. My only remedy I use is adderall to get me moving so I don't lay in bed all day, and then I like to have some marijuana to relax me and make me feel better