• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ 😃 LAVA Chit-Chat Thread! 🤪

^ How the painters doing?

It seems they've exchanged their brushes for sledge hammers, and are using them to pound my skull. Haven't had a chance to "really" focus on the problem lately (cop out :) ), but I'll hit it soon...

I don't know if you saw my second hint in OD Social or not. But if you missed it, start thinking about mod((2^17)-1). It comes up multiple times in the solution.

^yeah, I saw that.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the best approach is to enumerate all the, what, 17! * (2^17 -1) cases...

Really, though, it doesn't have the "feel" of a problem that would be solved in the way you suggest. Seems like there would be a simple argument for every house being painted exactly twice.

But, then again, I suppose group theory is just like any other tool.

Eg, a screwdriver may only have a few "official" uses, but in practice, it can be used for almost anything...

Edit,
NSFW:
"in practice" is being used in place of "in the field"

Last edited:
What did the student say when her group theory professor proposed to her?

NSFW:
"A ring? Isn't it a little soon?"

We'll be the only two who get that.

BTW, I edited my post #86 in this thread, to avoid repeating the same joke. And I'm willing to bet that what I wrote in #86 is what made you think of that joke.

BTW, I edited my post #86 in this thread, to avoid repeating the same joke. And I'm willing to bet that what I wrote in #86 is what made you think of that joke.

I went to a department-sponsored Halloween party once year, and this old dude who taught in the department was wearing boxing gloves. On one he had written a delta, and on the other an epsilon. He was the "mathematical boxer." At that point, I realized that I was not going to become a math professor. I'd kill myself having to be around stuff like that for the rest of my life.

I got so angry that I had to leave the party early and [No drug talk in E&C Social - RL].

^Yep, I'd probably do the same thing.

Right after the [no drug talk in EC], I'd probably go out and [no talk of "unprotected anal sex with back alley crack whores" in EC].

The day I meet a math professor over the age of 60 who is not completely insane and socially defunct, I'll donate a kidney.

You can talk about anal sex with back alley crack whores as long as you want. As long as you censor the parts about them smoking rock.

Even better if they're only hooking to get through college. Then it's forum-relevant.

We have a thread about performance-enhancing drugs and academics. Like probably 3 or 4 down from this one. Feel free to share your story.