• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Different Types of Meth

Memnoch

Bluelighter
Can anybody explain the difference (if any) between crystal meth, meth, speed etc. Also what does the colour difference signify?

Amphtamines divides themselves into 3 kinds...speed, meth-amphtamines, and ice. Speed is the cheapest and the less potent of all. It usually has a very less purity percentage, street speed may have as little as 1% of purity. Meth is twice stronger and more potent than speed, and it is called meth-amphtamines because there's an extra hyrdrogen group or something attached to it. So effects and comedowns last longer, and you feel more wired up. Ice, the most potent of all, usually refers to very pure meth (almost 100% purity). It's called ice because it looks like white crystal rocks. It totally fucks you up. The best color would be white/clear crystal, but it usually is not because it's cut with other crap. You expect to get that. I think speed is usually white, meth may be clear to yellowish rocks, and ice is almost always clear crystal rocks. The colors don't signify anything, just that it has been cut with other crap.
So, there you go.

Color also indicates purity. People who don't make clean shit or know how to wash it will have pink/orange/brown looking crystals. Read about how it is made and you will understand a lot more about what you are getting.

Originally posted by CrimsonQueen:
Amphtamines divides themselves into 3 kinds...speed, meth-amphtamines, and ice. Speed is the cheapest and the less potent of all. It usually has a very less purity percentage, street speed may have as little as 1% of purity. Meth is twice stronger and more potent than speed, and it is called meth-amphtamines because there's an extra hyrdrogen group or something attached to it. So effects and comedowns last longer, and you feel more wired up. Ice, the most potent of all, usually refers to very pure meth (almost 100% purity). It's called ice because it looks like white crystal rocks. It totally fucks you up. The best color would be white/clear crystal, but it usually is not because it's cut with other crap. You expect to get that. I think speed is usually white, meth may be clear to yellowish rocks, and ice is almost always clear crystal rocks. The colors don't signify anything, just that it has been cut with other crap.
So, there you go.

YOU ARE WRONG! Ice is 4-MA.. not just regular methamphetamine. Basicly when buying speed in the united states its all methamphetamine... However, the powdery/gunky stuff is poorly made and generaly cheaper and less pure, then you get the rock hard crystals, also know as glass, which, depending on the lab it came from, can reach as high as 95% pure... So around here we have:
crank - poorly made, gunky sticky shitty meth
"wash" - washed crank, looks kinda like glass but its softer and isn't nearly as good
glass - rock hard, crystal clear, really pure gets you really spun.
ice - not obtainable around here, its 4-MA and a fairly uncommon chemical.

^^^^
yup, listen to him.
Also, speed usually refers to shitty cut powdered meth, or shitty cut powdered amphetamine if you are outside the USA.

I agree with deus. Just to add to that. i believe for our bluelighters residing outside the us. theres also "base" wich is amphetamine sulfate? also ive gotten two kinds of crank, one brown crystal which is not very good, and then some shit that resembles peanut butter with the consistancy of gum. that shit fucked me up hard core! nothing like glass, but better than the brown-to-yellow crystally stuff imo. i guess meth is a funny drug because so many fucking mom and pop organizations make the shit.

Deus - Out of complete curiousity (I'm not soliciting a hook-up or anything, I just want to know), where is Ice (4-MA) attainable? I mean, is it possible for one to make it or not? Actually, I guess what I'm really asking is why isn't it more available to the general populace? You can just disregard the other questions.
Also, in an article on Erowid that was pulled from some magazine, the writer said, "Another form "Ice," a higher-grade, purer form of crystal meth is smoked, a single hit creates a high that lasts for hours and several hits can wire a user for days. However, its high price prevents it from taking hold. A gram of "ice" commands about $5,000 on the street."
Is this what you refer to by 4-MA? And if so, does it actually last as long and cost as much? And, if you don't mind, have you personally ever seen it? Thanks
[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: Methanfelony ]
[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: Methanfelony ]

People just dont get it ..
Ok, there is one type of meth - methamphetamine... now, the quality of that methamphetamine can varry, but there are not differn't "types" as that would indicate differnt chemical structures..
Of course, there are others such as amphetamine ("speed"), 4-methylaminorex ("ice"), etc..
But meth is meth..

Hey Phreex....sometimes i read about different types of meth, namely I-meth and D-meth. If I recall correctly, D-meth is the good stuff and I-meth is the not so good stuff (on par with ephedrine). Have you heard about this? Is there any credence to it or not??

l-meth refers to the levo isomer of methamphetamine - for the most part, it is innactive (thought I bet ost of you could do a line of straight l-meth and think it's the real thing) ... d-meth refers to the dextro isomer, this is more active ... the L andthe D refer to the isomer and chirality ... but if you want to talk about what you get on the street - methamphetamine is methamphetamine, "crank" isn't a "differnt type" of meth (as in a differnt chemical structure) .. it's just poorly made... stuff like Ice (4-MAR) isn't even meth ...

MethanFelony:
"Ice" is very often used by people to refer to glass, or relatively good meth, because they don't know the difference. Likewise sometimes people who are selling real ice (4-MA) say that it's "like, really good meth" 'cause a lot of dealers are stupid. Therefore it is not uncommon for trip reports to talk of "ice" when they mean "glass" aka meth. As far as synthesis/pricing goes, the synth isn't terribly hard, but with so few people appreciating the drug and it's extremely long-lasting effects (14 hours reported on average) it's not as good of a business move, typically. The $5,000/g figure reported is absolute BS though. $100 if you're close to the source and maybe, maybe $500 tops if you're way outside and desperate.

Well down here in atlanta ICE is almost all U will see..... Esp in the party scene...... most commonly called shards.....Tina... and in sum cases amber........... Tina and Amber are newer names tho with storie behind both...... people around here are stupid and dont know what they are getting.... the dont realize its not just meth..... or 4-ma..... they just know its shards and they like smokin it... Atlanta has tons of 4-ma....... actually... isnt that just the powdered freebase form? when seized into glass looking rocks i beleive its methamphetamine hydrochloride? well im not professor... but shards "ice " is almost like a meth induced roll..... the whole city is cracked out on the stuff..... i ODed last week on it.... i got carried away.... forgot how much i smoked.... how much i ate... then banged it.... and well i went crosseyed.... and the rest was down hill.. but im still here... been sober all week..... Tina is a name that has been goin round bout that past 8 months or so.... it comes from the gay community... they commonly get the best shards..... ive actually been in a small time 4-ma lab in downtown of all places...... thats where i got the first and best stuff i banged.... its called Amber..... most people hate it... cuzz its shit to snort... and shit to smoke..... but to bang Amber over Tina is night and Day.... See the Tina... is clean almost clear to clear shards..... with a great euphuric rush when u bang it... but the tweak is clean u cant feel it an hour a later... but u sure as hell aint goin to bed.... hard to explain...... now the Amber gets its name from its color its the same lookin as ice but has a slight amber hue to it.... most poeple just think its shitty shards... but bein at the lab taught me a thang or two.... the chemist said the Amber he made was made for shooting... he said its not cut or anything just made a little differently... and with a couple less steps..... or sumtin to that effect.. im sure i sound like i have no idea what im talking about... but the difference in banging the two is night and day.... Bang a half 1/4 of amber shards..... and have to lay down u r tweakin so hard........ anyway... here in atlanta..... ICE is all we get...... its best smoked or banged..... sum stuff is ok..... then there is stuff ive banged abump and started swaying......hell..... ive gotten GLASS ICE..... almost put ICE.... im not gonna claim it as pure..... but it was the best stuff in the ATL that week..... anyway.... glad i could be of any help.... the first question the hospital asked when they saw my tracks was.... "WAS IT CRANK?"

^^^^
im sure i sound like i have no idea what im talking about.
yup. Try punctuating with something other than ellipses (…) next time and maybe people will at least listen to you even if you think that 4-MA is a "freebase form" of meth, which it's not. Freebase meth is not useable. (How could someone like you "work in a lab" and not blow it up?) 4-MA is a completely different chemical. Glass and crank are the same thing, MethHCl, it's just that one is crystallized (typically far more pure/potent). And about the gay community having the best shards ... read the "meth is for faggets" thread. You and the author of that seem to be operating on about the same level.

shit, if anyone sold Ice in my town people couldnt handle it. there would be people fucking running around insanely wired killing people.

mein gott.
amber, tina, nonsense.
everyone everywhere calls shit that, are we really such tools to underground legends?
diff types depend on the calibre of the idiot you have cooking the shit, whether they clean their reagents, how pure their precursors are, if they are using sudaphed or actifed (red rock? anyone? come on, throw me a bone) or if they are cooking out of pyrex equip with a mountain dew smoke bottle or if they are working with a fucking snapple bottle push pull lab.
jeeesus, dont even worry about how many people are washing down their mexican methanol trailor meth and salting it for extra yeild.
but who am i? what do i know about people cutting up your crsytals with headache powder and rocking it back up?
im just some country tard.
-j.

Sorry for trying to help. I was just telling him what i knew. I did not work in a lab, i barely passed chem 1. I was just trying to help. That is why I asked if I was correct or not. But it is a fact as confirmed by some of the top people in ATL that all the shards going around is ICE. Not just Meth, ok? I was just trying to help. I was not told I was being taken to Lab. I was told we were just goin to pick up a ball. Sittin there in the living room wondering why I was carded at the dooor of a house. Why when we called from a cell phone outside 30 ft away, The owner of the house was asking exaclty who was with ( camera on front roof ). Wondering Y they were always painting and painting the inside of the house. Wondering why there were so many TV's not even plugged up in the house. Sorry to offend any of you goys by not typing to your standards. But hey, I got ICE over here. So it's all good. AIM has ruined the way I type

amber-(made for shooting- less steps) = half-assed made meth. :D
I seriously thought about flaming this post but, decided I would just laugh at your ignorance of the chemicals you put in your body...
P.s. i am from atlanta and you made my day
P.S.S. If you talked about my lab on a public website and went into detail IF IT WERE TRUE(which i highly doubt) and i found out.. you would be floating down the Chatahoochie River next time you came to the LAB to buy an 8-ball
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: BiGwIdOwNuGgEts ]

phreex: l-/d- and L-/D- (small caps) are different things (you prolly know that anyway)... something that is D- is not necessarily d- (like l-D-lactose), or R in the CIP system, or...
anyway...
i tend to think of "speed" as being just amphetamine, not meth.
"crystal", "meth", and a few other terms just mean methamphetamine, usually in a fine (but still granular) powder. they make no assertion of quality.
"glass", "shards" mean a more crystalline substance, like very small shards of glass. i've never seen it, but it would look like that if someone took 5 minutes to recrystallize.
"ice" to me means the same thing as glass, but to some people it may mean 4-methylaminorex. not here, though - here "ice" is something you almost never encounter. btw, i live in an area where people do a ball of crystal in a night and never get all that high.
"tina" (from christina) is a gay term; i've never heard it used by ravers. it's like "crystal" in that it doesn't say anything about purity.
that's just my opinion, from what i've heard in my area. in other place it's probably different. there is very little glass and ice here - most crystal is a really cheap, highly cut form. and people call it 'jib', especially if they're junglist hoodrats.

And it's turned into another slang thread :(
1) "ICE" refers to 4-methylaminorex, you will almost never see this, and I would say that 99% of you who have friends that sell "ice" are actually dealing with methamphetamine ..
2) "GLASS" refers to methamphetamine - usually of a higer grade ..
3) "CRANK" refers to methamphetamine - usually (well, most always) shitty meth ..
As I have done about 4 times today - I am closing this thread.... there are too many the deal with meth by all it's names..