• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

insulfating Suboxone vs. sublingual ( not trying to get high )

N0cturnal

Bluelighter
I recently started suboxone maintenance, I'm taking 4 milligrams 4 times per day, now before you say, "great another thread by somebody trying to get high off suboxone", that isn't what this is about.

I'm simply wondering if insulfating (snorting) suboxone is a better route of administration than sublingual, because one, its hard for me to sit there for 20-30 minutes with a mouth full of nasty tasting saliva, and two, when taken under the tongue, doesn't the suboxone just absorb through your mucus membranes? So snorting would be the same thing right?, just a lot easier to ingest.

I'm also wondering if snorting the subs is bad for you in any way, like more Naloxone getting into your system? Thanks for any info.

Well since suboxone is absorbed via the bucal membranes you could always plug it. Dissolve the medication in about 10ml of water and then right up the ol bum.... should get the job done just lay on your side for about 15 to 20min, but you have to use water just dont shove the pill up there......

never been a fan of plugging, always been an "exit only" kinda person when it comes to my ass :p

I think 10 minutes is more than enough really when holding it in the mouth

obviously snorting is instantaneous

however i recommend not fucking around with your medicine even if you dont want to get high

I used to iv it and never got me high except for the first few times but i was just hooked to the needle

over time you will damage you septum with snorting it and wont be able to switch back to sublingual

Why are you dosing 4 times a day?
I've experimented with various dose schedules, and IME, I've found the best schedule to be once a day. AFAIK, that's what most doctors recommend.
Meh, I just find the qid a little odd for a drug with such a long half-life.

As far as BA is concerned, snorting is better. I've heard reports of it being 20% better. You don't have to worry about the naloxone with any roa, bupe's affinity is higher.

Since you're taking 16mg, I wouldn't consider snorting an easier roa. That's a lot of nasty fucking powder you're putting up your nose. And the drip sucks.

I'd just tough it out and take it sublingually once a day. You'll get used to the nasty taste, I swear. If you take them long enough, you'll even start looking forward to it and associating it with relief.

My thoughts in bold:

I recently started suboxone maintenance, I'm taking 4 milligrams 4 times per day, now before you say, "great another thread by somebody trying to get high off suboxone", that isn't what this is about. As many have said, there's no reason to dose 4x/day. Suboxone is designed so you only have to take it once a day. I suppose I could see dosing twice a day, but 4x is just overkill.

I'm simply wondering if insulfating (snorting) suboxone is a better route of administration than sublingual, because one, its hard for me to sit there for 20-30 minutes with a mouth full of nasty tasting saliva, and two, when taken under the tongue, doesn't the suboxone just absorb through your mucus membranes? So snorting would be the same thing right?, just a lot easier to ingest. Snorting has a higher bioavailability - provided you snort it just right and don't let it drip resulting in you swallowing it (oral bioavailability is much lower than both snorting and sublingual). If you take suboxone enough sublingually, you learn different tactics and whatnot. Its much easier for me to do now than it was when I first started. It also absorbs faster because I know exactly where to keep it and how salivated my mouth should be when I take it, to make sure its either (1) not super-dry cotton mouth or (2) salivating like hell which causes a mouthful of liquid.

I'm also wondering if snorting the subs is bad for you in any way, like more Naloxone getting into your system? No matter what you do, the naloxone will not have any effect. Buprenorphine binds stronger to opiate receptors, so even if the naloxone was absorbed, it wouldn't be active. Naloxone doesn't even reverse buprenorpine overdoses like it does with almost every other opiate. Thanks for any info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More thoughts:

Now really, if you're on maintenance, you really should take your suboxone sublingually. Snorting them is just holding on to a relic of drug-abusing past. I'll admit, I've snorted my suboxone a few times before, but in the end its not worth it. The times I've done it were either (1) I was terribly sick and wanted to get it in me as fast as possible, (2) I was running low and had to make one days worth last two days, or (3) a desperate attempt to get high, which didnt work. I take 4mg a day, and even if I take huge amounts like 24-32mg, it doesn't even give me a buzz. Which is great, because I have no desire to abuse it.

As for the 4mg that I take each morning. It holds me over just fine dosing once. In fact, I can skip days, which I've done because I stay somewhere overnight and don't bring any with me, or sometimes because I just forget. The fact that I can just go a day forgetting to take my bupe and not feel sick or feel cravings is amazing to me. Bupe really is a beautiful drug for opiate maintenance/detoxification. I realize that You've just started, so it will take you a while before you can equalize and be steady on the drug. For now, I recommend you start taking your bupe twice a day, 8mg each time, sublingually, then ultimately once a day. Maybe your metabolism is different than mine, I don't know, but anyone I've ever known is fine with once a day dosing.

From there, you should lower your dose. I had a very large oxycodone/heroin habit for years, and right as I got onto bupe 4mg held me just fine. Actually, 2mg holds me also, but I take 4mg because it gives me slight pain relief on protruding discs I have in my neck as well as a shoulder problem. What I'm saying is you could easily get by on lower doses, bupe is odd like that. You will find that you can take a fraction of your dose and not even feel a difference; I'm sure you heard people say "less is more" with regards to bupe. It really is true. Try taking lower doses - it will be easier on your body, give you less side effects, save you money, and ultimately, whenever the time comes that you want to taper off, make that a whole lot easier.

Now, you don't necessarily have to listen to my words. I can promise to you that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to buprenorphine therapy, and the drug itself. It's just one guy on suboxone talking to another. I've been on it for a long time, and seen many others go on and off of it; you could say I've been around the bupe block. If you ever have any questions, concerns, etc about suboxone, please ask me, PM me. This goes for anyone, actually. I really do care, and I'm here to help.

Good luck on your journey,
JC

Sorry didn't reply sooner had some problems with my computer, I'm actually taking 4 milligrams three times a day, made a typo.

I have no idea why my bupe doctor put me on that dosage frequency, I started off taking 2 milligram twice a day for a week, went back and told her it was helping but I was still having cravings so she tripled my dose, half of an 8 mg pill three times a day.

I've already learned in the short time I've been on it less is more, I can take 2 milligrams and feel fine, it seems like the more I take the worse I feel for some reason, not really a bad feeling just tired and zombified.

I did find one thing that helps taking them under the tongue is to crush them first, seems they absorb faster that way so I don't have to hold them in my mouth as long. Its hard ( for me anyway ) to go 20-30 minutes without swallowing, especially when I have a mouth full of saliva.

If I crush them then put the under my tongue they're pretty much absorbed in 10 minutes tops.

i'll take the taste of sniffing suboxone over the taste of sublingual suboxone any day.

but as far as not using it to get high, just let it dissolve in your mouth.

well, i wanted to pm you dude, but the shit wouldnt let me so here it is, help please if you can. ok, if you want to answer, cool, if not, thats ok too. heres the deal. i was on methadone 130 mgs daily for 4 years but moved south to try to stop (for the second time, the first time stayed clean SQUEEEEEEKY clean for two years) well, things got bad and instead of piddlin around i just jumped back on the damn clinic. and plus i was buyin bottles from other patients now and then, you know. the thing is, i tappered myself down to 40 mgs of the pills here, then drank a ton of grapefruit juice for my last dose to make it stretch (cuz of the enzyme, you know). anyway, i was gettin by for 3 days on 2 darvacets every few hours!! well, my connect didnt come thru with more methadone, so i have had a toooon of suboxone saved up for when i was ready. heres the reason for the post. i took 4 mg and got SICK AS A FUCKING DOOOOOOOOOOG laid here in agony alllllll day, allllll night, and i STILL feel terrible and now i just railed an 8 mg pill cuz i cant take this shit no more! for some reason i cant handle withdrawl like i used to and what im really asking, is one thing, why am i still so damn sick, and two, if i eat more and more will it go away?? see, im kinda screwed here. now that ive put bupe in my body i cant even go back, it wont help. any advice?

you can't private message ppl b/c you are a greenlighter, you have to have at least 20 posts i believe to do that.

and the reason you got sick was prolly cause of precipitated withdrawal. it depends how long it was after your last dose that you took the suboxone. if you did not wait long enough, then that is why you went into a horrible withdrawal. don't know why its lasting so long tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
skelit0re; you are supposed to wait until your are already in WD before taking the sub.

I used to smoke them, yes smoke them! For months! But it worked so good I would get dizzy, or maybe that was nasty side effects from fillers. I find the buzz from suboxone is not good at all. I have tried everything, snorting them, smoking, not swallowing spit. Now I just take 6 mg twice a day orally holding it under my tongue for an hour. I always wondered how long to hold it, soca and pharmacists always say until it dissolves. When I was getting bupes on the streets to avoid withdrawals I wanted every microgram in my system to avoid withdrawals. I have not taken a opiate in three years. Only extacy every so often. And Xanax for my horrible passing out panic attacks.

We live in a bittersweet period in opiate addiction. Oxy s are making more opiate addicts in modern history who often turn to dope when Oxy s cost too much or can't find any. On the sweet side suboxone is out there to help. Thank goodness for suboxone, I just wish I could get off it too! I tried once, was down to a crumb a day, my appitite for drugs at this low level was too dangerous and I felt no motivation to do anything with bad depression , so I went back on it.

I used to smoke them, yes smoke them! For months! But it worked so good I would get dizzy, or maybe that was nasty side effects from fillers. I find the buzz from suboxone is not good at all. I have tried everything, snorting them, smoking, not swallowing spit. Now I just take 6 mg twice a day orally holding it under my tongue for an hour. I always wondered how long to hold it, soca and pharmacists always say until it dissolves. When I was getting bupes on the streets to avoid withdrawals I wanted every microgram in my system to avoid withdrawals. I have not taken a opiate in three years. Only extacy every so often. And Xanax for my horrible passing out panic attacks.

We live in a bittersweet period in opiate addiction. Oxy s are making more opiate addicts in modern history who often turn to dope when Oxy s cost too much or can't find any. On the sweet side suboxone is out there to help. Thank goodness for suboxone, I just wish I could get off it too! I tried once, was down to a crumb a day, my appitite for drugs at this low level was too dangerous and I felt no motivation to do anything with bad depression , so I went back on it.

You may want to try maintaining on a dose lower than 1mg/day. You might notice that you get nice euphoric effects at this small dose. It works for me and many other people I know. It has to do with bupes metabolite norbupernorphine which is a full agonist like heroin or oxy. You can look it up on BL by doing a search. You would need to maintain at this dose for atleast a couple weeks for your brain and body to adjust to it so you can start to feel any euphoria. But of course this doesnt work for everyone. Nothing works for everyone. but I would say its worth giving it a try......even if it doesnt work atleast you will be maintaining no a much lower dose of suboxone, which is healthier for you.

maybe do 8mg subling in the AM, and dose 2mg by snorting in the PM. you prob dont need 16mg.

My 2 cents

I have an unusual history especially for a Republican--7 years on heroin, 28 years clean, 4 years on opiate prescriptions, 1-1/2 years on legal Suboxone, with 13 "take-outs" between visits to the clinic. I only take 8MG. I could probably get the Clinic to up me to 12, but would face a divorce if I did. I've been married 39 years and my wife still has a caboose that most 20 somethings would kill for. 12 sub lingual is ideal for me. I find that 6MG of tonguage plus only 2 of snortage is about equal to 12 of only oral. Could I be right? Will a mere 2 MG a day up the snout cause future problems? Inquiring morons want to know.

If you read some of the previous posts, such as Phrozen's and JC's, you'll see that snorthing/using suboxone intranasally on a daily basis is going to surely cause you problems long terms. I used to snort it on and off, probably around a total of 8mg/day for periods of 4-14 days without any problems.